Advanced search

teeth whitening?

(22 Posts)
irregularegular Tue 10-Feb-15 11:12:32

Is it possible to safely and easily whiten your teeth at home?

My teeth are not terrible - just normal 40 something, coffee and wine drinking, slightly yellowed teeth. I think it's a bit aging and would like to whiten them a bit - but not too obviously as I think bright white teeth look weird.

It's very expensive at the dentist. Is there a cheaper but effective and safe diy alternative?

ppeatfruit Tue 10-Feb-15 11:24:25

Yes obviously giving up daily caffeine and red wine will help BUT I do oil pulling which is amazing and doesn't have to be done with oil just water will do.

When you wake up in the morning have half a glass of filtered water and then choose almond oil or whatever light oil you like (or as I said water) I add a drop of tea tree ess oil. Then I swish it around my mouth for 10 mins or so, while showering or whatever. I spit it out down the loo and using an electric toothbrush then clean my teeth, it works !

ppeatfruit Tue 10-Feb-15 11:29:41

If you google "earth clinic" you'll find loads of different ways to do it. Interestingly there was a programme on telly with doctors researching 'alternatives' and this one they recommended !

Abra1d Tue 10-Feb-15 11:32:47

Careful spitting oil down the loo unless it is one that won't solidify--google fatberg for the reason why. It is safest to spit the oil out on to a piece of kitchen paper and throw out.

ppeatfruit Tue 10-Feb-15 11:59:17

There's not many light oils that solidify, we're not talking lard here Abraid ! You can also do this with water.

specialsubject Tue 10-Feb-15 13:41:57

if you are in the UK there is NOTHING you can buy over the counter that will work. It is dentist-only for a reason; tooth bleaching weakens teeth.

normal teeth are slightly yellow.

oil pulling: well, read this. Probably doesn't do any harm.

ppeatfruit Tue 10-Feb-15 16:43:35

I don't reckon it's a life saver and as I said you can use water, it whitens\ cleans your teeth though.

DH believes nothing 'alternative' and tried it because dd2 recommended it and I asked him what he'd been doing to his teeth (he hadn't told me he was doing it) which looked a lot cleaner, the 'whitening' toothpastes don't work on his wine and coffee stained teeth but oil pulling certainly does!

321zerobaby Tue 10-Feb-15 20:59:34

I paid £250 at the dentist 6 years ago, had molds made and used the peroxide gel that came with it. The results were excellent, and I get loads of compliments about them all the time, but I don't drink tea, coffee or red wine.

I have repeated the treatment a few times over the years, but not for at least 18 months, and still looking white. Best money I have spent (was 40th birthday present to myself).

321zerobaby Tue 10-Feb-15 21:00:34

And it hasn't done any damage to my teeth. I have check ups every 6 months, haven't needed any work in that time.

ppeatfruit Wed 11-Feb-15 16:29:13

My dentist can't believe how good my teeth are, I'm not young and have all my own teeth with no fillings for years! It only costs the price of almond oil or if you use water just your water bills!

piggychops Wed 11-Feb-15 16:42:00

I've also had the moulds made through my dentist. My teeth can be sensitive so I did it more gradually rather than every day. Am very pleased with the results and do a one off top up every 6 months or

BlueberryMuffins76 Wed 11-Feb-15 20:47:50

Another one here with dentist made moulds. I use them every 3/4 months for a top up, and I always get compliments about my teeth.

MarchesMum Wed 11-Feb-15 22:09:45

I'm sure I've heard of some people using peroxide at home.

How would they do this?

piggychops Thu 12-Feb-15 07:37:12

The gel that goes into the dentist-made moulds contains peroxide.

NoArmaniNoPunani Thu 12-Feb-15 07:40:10

I'm a dentist. Whitening from a dentist costs about £200. You get one set of teeth and gums, why would you want to put them at risk by doing something on the cheap to them? It's not like hair that will grow back if you mess it up.

ppeatfruit Thu 12-Feb-15 09:14:37

So NoArmanl What do you reckon about oil pulling?

Abra1d Thu 12-Feb-15 10:56:24

I must admit that my gums were in a great condition when I used to oil pull and I think my teeth looked better, too. A bit of recessed gum seemed to heal up, as well. I suppose olive oil (which is what I used) is anti-inflammatory and also antiseptic. I used it to clean my face and it is the only thing that doesn't bring me up in hives. I must do pulling again, but ppeat, they still recommend not spitting olive or almond oil down the loo or sink as it can help create blockages!

ppeatfruit Thu 12-Feb-15 11:06:13

Olive oil ,I love it but not for oil pulling, does solidify in the fridge but I keep almond oil in my coolish bedroom and it doesn't. Maybe I'll try it in the fridge and see what happens. I tend to alternate between almond oil and water any how and I don't do it every day.

Also IME it's better to drink water as soon as you wake up BEFORE oil pulling (i was originally told it had to done on an empty stomach). Yes as you say it's brilliant. I have had no sensitivity in my gums since doing it (i do also follow a very healthy diet though).

Abra1d Thu 12-Feb-15 11:47:38

My gums became noticeably less pink and sore and the dentist, who had been muttering about appalling-sounding operations on some of my receding gumline (caused by over-brushing in my twenties), has stopped and also told me that I only needed to see her once a year, rather than twice.

MUST do it again TODAY.

ppeatfruit Thu 12-Feb-15 13:06:16

grin Abraid Where's the OP?

avagosling Thu 12-Feb-15 14:26:40

Give oil pulling with coconut a go, might sound strange at first, but it's brilliant for your teeth and gums

ppeatfruit Thu 12-Feb-15 14:38:04

I'm not good with coconut, that'd bung up the drains too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now