Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Eyeliner that will actually stay on my eyelids

(28 Posts)
modestyb Tue 10-Feb-15 11:11:48

Can anyone recommend an eyeliner that will stay put? I prefer a pencil liner for everyday use (currently use a bourjois one or Estee Lauder doublewear). It looks ok for the first hour or two, but then disappears, and my eye shadow always creases as well. I guess I have oily eyelids... Liquid liner is ok but I don't want to wear that all the time, I prefer something a bit more smudgy.

Do I need a primer? Or a different eyeliner?

Any recommendations gratefully received!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 10-Feb-15 11:16:57

You need a primer. I have used Benefit Lemonaid. Pricey, but lasts ages. I am sure other people will have recommendations.

modestyb Tue 10-Feb-15 11:20:22

Thank you Penguins. I tried a cheapy Rimmel eye primer, but it didn't help and made things worse if anything. I'll have a look at Benefit.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 10-Feb-15 11:21:28

Also be careful of using lots of eye cream before putting on make up, that can make your lids greasy.

I am sure there are good cheaper primers. I got given it and it lasts forever, so I've not shopped around yet!

capsium Tue 10-Feb-15 11:23:35

I 'set' my eyeliner with a matching eyeshadow. I seems to help it stay put.

capsium Tue 10-Feb-15 11:24:28

^ just brush powder eyeshadow over the liner with a small brush.

stevienickstophat Tue 10-Feb-15 11:27:15

Clinique Quickliner

WerewolfBarMitzvah Tue 10-Feb-15 11:28:38

Could you try using a liquid liner then setting and smudging slightly with a black eyeshadow and a flat brush?
Staying power of the liquid but softens the edge.
I can never get pencil to last on me.

WerewolfBarMitzvah Tue 10-Feb-15 11:29:28

Sorry I just reiterated what capsicum said. Doh!

capsium Tue 10-Feb-15 11:31:40

Except I use this method with kohl pencil. grin Interesting that you can use the powder to soften liquid liner though.

CuttedUpPear Tue 10-Feb-15 11:33:31

I've had this problem since getting older eyes. (and the rest of me).

I use Bourjois Intuitive Eyeliner. it has three prongs made from fibre tip stuff, like a tiny flat fork.
You put it on by drawing the prongs up through the roots of your upper lashes, starting at the waterline of the upper lid.

It increases the dark line where uour roots begin, and doesn't smudge or crease at all.

It has saved my face!

WerewolfBarMitzvah Tue 10-Feb-15 11:37:34

Ah capsicum I never thought of putting it over pencil. God I'm on fire this morning. It must be nice and soft with pencil.
I was thinking that the eyeshadow set the liquid liner, IYKWIM.
Mmm, maybe I need to try with pencil again.....maybe I need to go make up shopping....!

LancashireTea Tue 10-Feb-15 11:41:27

It might not be expensive but Barry M's black waterproof kohl is bloody brilliant. Doesn't smudge and stays in place forever.

https://m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?path=%2Fen%2FBarry-M-Bold-Waterproof-Eyeliner_1219435%2F&unCountry=uk

modestyb Tue 10-Feb-15 11:43:12

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I need something more heavy duty than setting pencil liner with shadow, but I will try this with liquid liner.

CuttedUpPear, that Bourjois eyeliner sounds interesting, I will investigate.

Anyone tried the Urban Decay eye primer? It gets good reviews.

Nolim Tue 10-Feb-15 11:43:45

Liquid or one of the long lasting ones.

modestyb Tue 10-Feb-15 11:46:17

Will def try the Barry M one, hadn't thought about trying a waterproof pencil.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 10-Feb-15 11:51:35

Oh, and a dark shadow with damp brush as liner is softer than liquid but with more staying power than pencil.smile

DarylDixonsDarlin Tue 10-Feb-15 11:56:00

I have bought one recently which is like a felt tip pen, I cant cope with brush on liquid ones but the pen, I can do! It is a rimmel one I think. I'm assuming this is for your eyelid rather than under the eye? I do use a kohl pencil for underneath though.

mowglik Tue 10-Feb-15 13:37:06

I have very oily eyelids so I need extra staying power for anything on my eyes

I use a kohl pencil, smudge it, then apply gel liner (or liquid liner) at the base. It does wear and go more smudgey but I don't mind that as the base is still pretty dark
Kind of the other way to what's posted above

mowglik Tue 10-Feb-15 13:39:45

Oh sorry just read posts properly and lots have suggested this already! Anyway the technique is fab, it works

Also use urban decay primer potion for eyeshadow days, great stuff and my eyeshadow would last til the next morning (and did a couple of nights I fell asleep with full face on!)

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 10-Feb-15 13:42:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilyruin Tue 10-Feb-15 13:44:46

Urban decay 24/7 eyeliner pencils are the best for long lasting, and sooooo many pretty colours. Or Charlotte Tilbury liquid eye pencils are also amazing
Best eye primer is urban decay or nars.

showtunesgirl Tue 10-Feb-15 13:45:12

The ScandalEyes Rimmel one with a pot and brush is really good. Not really liquid so easy to apply and by god that stuff doesn't budge.

MimiSunshine Tue 10-Feb-15 14:05:29

Topshop eyeliner.

Wouldn't have bought make up from there in the past but was given a black kohl eyeliner and I'm converted.

Its really intensely black (they do grey and brown as well) like say how Mac products are strongly pigmented and does not shift all day.

I strongly recommend putting a layer of nude / cream / pale pink eye shadow on first though even if you aren't planning on wearing a "coloured" eye shadow because it seems to hold in place better as otherwise I get little crescent moons in the crease of my eye lid.

I tend to go for an eyeliner and mascara look in work and with the topshop kohl my eyes look the same at 8pm as they did getting ready at 7am.

Nancy66 Tue 10-Feb-15 14:16:25

Pat some translucent powder over eyeliner after application. That keeps it in place.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: