Advanced search

Ah nuts, beloved GHDs have finally died

(25 Posts)
Kracken Tue 10-Feb-15 07:50:25

Sad, but they have served me well for 8 years! Just wondering what to replace them with as I have heard that these days GHDs are a bit rubbish and don't last long? Does anyone have another suggestion? Is it worth spending a bit more on a L'oreal steam pod? Thanks ladies!

Skivvywoman Tue 10-Feb-15 08:00:10

My friend has purple zebras (I'm sure that's what their called) and they are fantastic, straighten my curly mop in half the time of my ghds!

Woahbodyforrrrm Tue 10-Feb-15 08:39:03

I keep hearing amazing things about cloud 9 straighteners. Apparantly they're made by one of the original founders of the GHD's back when they were good. My GHD's are 12 years old and still going strong. A few years ago I fancied a new snazzy pair and they lasted less then a year. Keep hearing GHD's are going downhill. When my loyal GHD's finally die, I'll go for the cloud 9's!

UrchinMadeOfAcne Tue 10-Feb-15 08:42:41

Could you try going natural?

Woahbodyforrrrm Tue 10-Feb-15 08:49:43

Ummm so I just googled the steam pod and I'm sold!!!! I want one grin

Anjelika Tue 10-Feb-15 10:49:36

I have Cloud 9s and find them to be good. You can vary the temperature setting, which at first I thought was just a gimmick as I couldn't understand why would you want it on anything but full, but now I never use them on full as I prefer a straight-but-not-poker-straight look. They certainly make my hair look in better condition despite the damage the heat must be doing to it!

Skivvywoman Tue 10-Feb-15 10:55:56

Woah I've just googled to and want them!!

MaryMarigold Tue 10-Feb-15 11:02:53

I'm still committed to my GHDs but just wanted to say that the 'purple zebras' skivvywoman mentioned are by Corioliss and are supposed to be good smile

Kracken Tue 10-Feb-15 14:44:42

Thanks so much all! I am googling cloud nines and the zebra ones. The only downside of steam pod (except for price!) is that it would probably be a pain to travel with and I do travel quite a lot for work...

urchin, I am growing my thick wavy hair out of a disastrous pixie crop and am at an awkward in between stage where it all flips unattractively out if I don't straighten! But will go natural sometimes when it's longer.

Shonajay Tue 10-Feb-15 15:16:17

I can't recommend babyliss freedoms highly enough. Cheap, quicker, and better than ghds. And I've had four pairs of ghds. I'd never go back.

HaveAGoodDay Tue 10-Feb-15 21:16:53

I got myself a pair of the Remingtons Colour Protect ones for £14.99 from Aldi (they were on offer) just before Christmas and they are brilliant - i actually think i get better results than my GHD's, which are 2/3 years old - so only reach 180 degrees. Think the Remington ones are usually priced around £26? from Boots/Argos?

Shonajay Tue 10-Feb-15 22:57:30

My hairdresser used the steam pod ones on me and I wasn't as I pressed as I am with my babyliss ones.

AMillionNameChangesLater Tue 10-Feb-15 23:04:40

I have remingtons, the blue ones. Pearl shine or something. They are brilliant!

RedRideMeGood Tue 10-Feb-15 23:11:02

I got some vibe straighteners when I lost my ghd's. I've since found them but continue to use the vibe ones.

member Tue 10-Feb-15 23:11:59

Cloud 9 or Joico Keratin Infusion.

Dd1 has practically taken my Medium GHDs which is ok as I currently have short hair and use cloud 9 micro irons.

If I grow my hair in future, I'll seriously consider the Joico ones

HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 11-Feb-15 13:32:16

My GHDs died last year after a decade of use. I was all set to replace them but internet research suggested I try Remington. I chose the cheapest model S3500 for less than £20.

So far I'm impressed! They have a temperature dial, auto shut-off and come with a heatproof travel pouch. They work as well as (maybe better than) my GHDs.

hellsbellsmelons Wed 11-Feb-15 16:36:53

I traded my GHDs in a few years back for Remington straighteners.
All my friends and 2 of my sisters are converted as well.
My DD still uses my GHDs but when she comes to use mine she always mentions how much better they are than 'hers'
I go the Keratin ones (looking now rather expensive but I got them half price) and they've been going strong for a couple of years now.
Just looked and AMAZON have them at less than half price.

flux500 Wed 11-Feb-15 18:25:00

I have the cloud 9s and prefer them to ghds. when I'm at my mother in laws I use her ghds and they feel cheap in comparison and actually don't give as good a finish as the cloud nines.

reading about the remington ones why not watch a few you tube videos of people using them. I find that gives a good indication of what they are like in real life.

BlueberryMuffins76 Wed 11-Feb-15 20:45:33

Diva! Recommended by my hairdresser and found in tk maxx. They have argan plates and are brilliant.

Moltenpink Thu 12-Feb-15 09:32:02

Have you tried changing the plug? That fixed my 10 year old pair when they stopped switching on.

Tiredemma Thu 12-Feb-15 09:35:47

I have Remington ones (trust me- my hair is like wire and previously only GHD's would battle it)

the Remington ones are marvellous

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Thu 12-Feb-15 15:55:56

Ok so I've ordered the Remington ones linked above. I'll be back once I've tested them out. I hope the wisdom of mums net is right again. smile

Tizwailor Thu 12-Feb-15 16:01:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 12-Feb-15 16:12:24

Haha Tiz if only it was.
My hair is waaaay too thick and even more curly and that did not work.
But if your hair is finer and just wavy it may well do the trick.

Tizwailor Thu 12-Feb-15 16:47:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now