Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Co-ordinating outfits as wedding guests?

(10 Posts)
HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Mon 09-Feb-15 18:08:10

DH, DS (2 years old) and I are going to a wedding in April. I am useless at putting outfits together so I'm starting to have a look around now for dresses so I don't leave it to the last minute. I will be around 7 months pregnant so looking for something comfortable but stylish.

My question is whether we all should co-ordinate in some way? I love purple so will most likely end up with some sort of purple dress. Do I put DS in a purple of some form shirt and get DH to wear a purple tie or is that all a bit 'trying to hard'.

I always see gorgeous pics of families whose clothes compliment each other but don't necessarily all have the same colour - what is the trick??

TywysogesGymraeg Mon 09-Feb-15 18:11:10

I think that's silly and unnecessary. Each of you sbkuldweary something you look smart in. That's it.

HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Mon 09-Feb-15 18:13:25

I'm not a fan of matchy matchy myself but for a wedding where hopefully we will get some nice family photos I would like to sort of compliment each others outfits, if you know what I mean (obviously as though we didn't put any effort into it at all!)

CointreauVersial Mon 09-Feb-15 18:45:29

If it was your wedding, then yes, but otherwise it's unnecessary, unless you want to.

TywysogesGymraeg Mon 09-Feb-15 18:46:32

A bit twee IMO.

Picastyle Mon 09-Feb-15 18:49:18

It sounds a bit OTT to me.

HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Mon 09-Feb-15 18:49:42

Not really my thing at all so I'm happy to not match. I'm not very stylish though so wasn't sure if it would look better than the three of us clashing in some way!

I'm stepping away from googling purple shirts and ties. Thanks!

PretzelPrincess Mon 09-Feb-15 23:29:24

I like the idea of outfits complimenting but not matching.
If your wearing purple get the boys to wear greys/blues or a colour in the same family?
We had a family wedding recently and ended up wearing similar colours by accident. We were in blue/purple/black/grey apart from my sister who wore red hmm it really stood out in a bad way in the pics.

TywysogesGymraeg Mon 09-Feb-15 23:30:31

Not matching doesn't equal clashing!

HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Mon 09-Feb-15 23:37:22

Thanks Pretzel, you put it perfectly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: