Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Madonna at the Grammys - Sticking two fingers up to getting older or burlesque dancer at the working mens club

(108 Posts)
Redismyfavouritefood Mon 09-Feb-15 11:46:03

?

boob spillage and flashing her arse

CatieBlanket Mon 09-Feb-15 11:53:59

It's nothing to do with getting older; the outfit would look hideous on any woman of any age. And Joy Villa (?) should have been refused entry because her outfit was indecent.

frankietwospots Mon 09-Feb-15 12:06:15

I've always loved her for totally not giving a shit.

dexter73 Mon 09-Feb-15 12:07:20

I think she does give a shit though, big time.

noddyholder Mon 09-Feb-15 12:08:50

Love her hope she never succumbs

squoosh Mon 09-Feb-15 12:12:33

Didn't she already have a sexy matador phase? Madge must be running out of ideas. It's all a bit snoozsome.

noddyholder Mon 09-Feb-15 12:12:41

I think when you are getting on a bit you do know that those sort of outfits don't look as good as maybe in your 30s I am 50 this year and there are some things where I do thing hmm and then think sod it I am who I am and I'm wearing it! She is smart and style savvy and so she probably does know but does it anyway.

IPeeInTheShowerOhYes Mon 09-Feb-15 12:18:45

Unattractive.

Saurus72 Mon 09-Feb-15 12:23:40

Definitely agree that it would be a hideous outfit on anyone. I am torn between admiring her for wearing what the hell she wants to and critics be damned, to thinking that she is constantly seeking external approval of herself, which must be both exhausting (at any age) and a bit sad that she feels she doesn't have enough sense of self to still require that kind of external reinforcement. Definitely feels like she is running out of ideas - I think she looked absolutely tragic.

Julianne Moore on the other hand looked fabulously stunning and like a woman in control of herself. However, that may just be an illusion, and she may feel as much pressure as Madonna to achieve external validation, she just has a different notion of what that looks like.

vindscreenviper Mon 09-Feb-15 12:31:54

I've never seen one of those sling things under her bum before, is it the arse equivalent of Queen Eleanor's chin strap?

Miggsie Mon 09-Feb-15 12:33:20

She is consistent - she had no taste in her 20's and still has none in her fifties.

Greengardenpixie Mon 09-Feb-15 12:33:27

bloody hell though! what a figure at 56!! ! dont like yhe outfit but she has a great figure and yes she will have loads done to it... but still envy

noddyholder Mon 09-Feb-15 12:41:19

Julianne Moore is beautiful but Madonna has always dressed that way and I bet JM has never writhed around in a wedding dress singing like a virgin! She is sticking to what she knows.

VenusRising Mon 09-Feb-15 12:45:17

I love madonna, she's very astute.

squoosh Mon 09-Feb-15 12:45:30

Madonna had a prolonged 'prim' period when she was living out her English lady of the manor fantasy.

squoosh Mon 09-Feb-15 12:46:59

Just call me Madonna Mitford

noddyholder Mon 09-Feb-15 12:47:52

Her new video for that song is an homage to the matador period lots of refs to her different styles over the years She has done them all and even prim was seen as shocking because it was her. I don't know how she keeps up all teh exercise.

OnlyLovers Mon 09-Feb-15 12:52:38

I think Madonna looks awesome, as does Joy Villa (who is Joy Villa) [old gimmer].

Rihanna looks bizarre though. Like something off My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

fatherpeeweestairmaster Mon 09-Feb-15 13:09:59

There's a very fine line between that and

sleepwhenidie Mon 09-Feb-15 13:34:24

onlylove - old gimmers or not, I suspect you (and I) are not alone in wondering who the jeff Joy Villa is - she clearly wants to change that state of affairs with that 'dress' doubt it will work smile

OnlyLovers Mon 09-Feb-15 13:43:40

grin The difference between us, sleep, seems to be that I rather like her dress!

Floisme Mon 09-Feb-15 14:09:13

I'm a similar age to Madonna and mostly she just makes me feel very tired.

But if I had the energy to keep in half as good a shape as she does, then I'd be showing off too. And the thought that some people might not like it would just add to my enjoyment.

burnishedsilver Mon 09-Feb-15 14:25:15

Nothing at all to do with age but its not a great outfit. It would be a little better if she'd had a bra intervention. The matador hat is a bit Mickey Mouse for my liking.

FauxFox Mon 09-Feb-15 14:59:08

Her bum appears to be in some kind of hoist confused

squoosh Mon 09-Feb-15 15:01:20

She's been hoisted by her own leotard.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: