Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Patra or Boden? Silk cami in hot weather

(10 Posts)
Decanter Sun 08-Feb-15 22:27:17

I'm looking to buy a pure silk cami to wear under some sheer/fine summer tops in 70/80 degree temps on holiday. Would you recommend Boden or Patra? (Or somewhere else?) I would buy a couple but am looking for them to be durable so I can rinse through and rewear.
I have a couple of boden pure silk tops and to be honest I'm too scared to wear them as they seem very delicate...! Thanks in advance.

Smarterthantheaveragebeaver Mon 09-Feb-15 08:45:47

I've just bought two Patra ones, and some matching silk undies blush in champagne and black. I've washed them on the handwash/delicate cycle in my machine and they've emerged OK. The camis aren't vey long in the body, though.

Djangor3725 Mon 09-Feb-15 08:47:16

I have silk camisoles from various places - summer sales usually cheapest time to buy (sorry - unhelpful). Have couple of Boden which are tough as old boots, have also bought from Patra (like their silk knickers too) and from Charlotte & Co. Have tried cheaper silk camilsoles but they were invariably edged with very scratchy lace. Boden has a good range of colours & no scratchy lace; Patra do some knitted silk ones which are particularly good under v-necks for work - more discrete than Boden unless you find a Boden size that fits you perfectly, but I can wear Boden ones as a top whereas the Patra ones are kept for underwear.

Twinklestein Mon 09-Feb-15 13:23:58

Do Patra do non-knitted silk camis? I thought it was all knitted...

I've had some from Charlotte & Co, they were good, and M&S actually.

Diane von Furstenberg does the best camis - stretch silk with a bit of lace at the top. I've got quite a few that came with sheer blouses.

Personally I don't spin Patra stuff because it loosens the knit over time.

Silk is never going to be durable, you might be better off with very light cotton camis that can be thrown in the machine.

petitdonkey Mon 09-Feb-15 14:57:08

I have a few of these from jigsaw - I chuck them in the wash and the dryer but they always come out perfectly.

Datahub Mon 09-Feb-15 14:58:14

just buy an opaque bra?

Decanter Mon 09-Feb-15 18:10:59

Hi thanks for the responses. Datahub I wear camis all the time at home, rarely just a bra but I usually just wear microfibre type M&S ones which I think will sweat me on hols, hence I'm hoping that pure silk will be cooler. Can anyone testify to that? Smarterthan, are the patra ones satin silk? And would you recommend the champagne one as being a "nude"? I'm fair but wasn't sure whether the cream or champagne would be more discreet under tops - thought the champagne looked quite dark online. Not too fussed about the length as I'm not tall anyway. Charlotte & co looked good but my size out of stock and jigsaw don't go up to my size.
Thanks again everyone.

Smarterthantheaveragebeaver Mon 09-Feb-15 18:19:41

Its 100% silk, really soft. Well, the lacy part isn't silk but it's not at all scratchy. Its sort of a goldy/beige colour but this works for me smile

Datahub Mon 09-Feb-15 19:06:05

i htink yes microfibre will sweat
are you a particularly modest dresser? why not just buy something like www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Tops-T-shirts/Sleeveless-Tops/WL866/Womens-Everyday-Vest.html this or for a more structured look this kind of thing (if this is too boden for you ) www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Tops-T-shirts/Sleeveless-Tops/WL887/Womens-Zoey-Vest.html

Decanter Mon 09-Feb-15 20:07:58

Thanks smarterthan and datahub. No not particularly modest datahub, but I like the more streamlined look that wearing a cami gives, and it also helps stabilise a slightly jiggly mum tum (when shapewear would be too heavy duty). I like your second link, and I have a few of the boden "pretty printed top" which is quite similar. I wouldn't wear a cami under those, but I need one for under a couple of very sheer tops, and I didn't want to wear my usual microfibrey ones.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: