Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

black tie/lounge suit dress code, what to wear?

(10 Posts)
lianamay86 Sun 08-Feb-15 10:16:10

I really need some help as I am clueless!

I work for a charity that is holding an event, advertised as a 'charity ball' with dinner, live band and high end auction, lots of local businesses invited.

The dress code is advertised as 'black tie/lounge suit' and I know that two female colleagues are wearing floor length gowns, one lady is wearing a tux and two male colleagues are wearing dinner jackets and bow ties.

I am 28, 5'6 tall and a size 10 with DD bust which seems to look huge in the dresses I have tried on so far sad

Would you wear floor length or midi length? And what style?

The event is soon so need guidance asap please!

burnishedsilver Sun 08-Feb-15 10:22:51

Floor length.
Your figure sounds amazing. I'd have thought you could wear almost anything.
What's your budget?

lianamay86 Sun 08-Feb-15 12:06:01

Thanks, I am pretty much an hourglass figure so yes in theory should look great but I ordered two floor length ones from asos last week to try on, both one shoulder styles and neither looked right across the bust area.

My budget - anything up to £200 but the cheaper the better. Seen lots on asos I like that are fairly cheap (I don't go to many of these things to warrant an expensive dress) so if I can work out how I might post links in a bit... Are you sure you would do floor length given the dress code allows lounge suits which is slightly more informal?

MrsLettuce Sun 08-Feb-15 12:11:24

Floor length is fine but cocktail length really is too - it's only for white tie that you must go floor length.

lianamay86 Sun 08-Feb-15 13:09:05

Ok so if this works, I should have included some photos of my shortlist. Some dresses are maxi length, others midi and some are cheaper than others. So which would you pick?

The first three are my favourites, by the way.

lianamay86 Sun 08-Feb-15 13:09:42

More...

lianamay86 Sun 08-Feb-15 13:10:13

Final ones smile

lianamay86 Sun 08-Feb-15 13:12:35

Having looked back on the photos, I think the first one is my favourite (did the photos work??) but is it too slinky/sexy and would I need to cover my shoulders with something? If so, what? I really am clueless...

MrsLettuce I know maxi and midi length is fine, just unsure which to choose so thought I would go with the majority on here smile

dementedma Sun 08-Feb-15 13:14:59

I like the first one and the fifth one. What shops are they from. I also have a black tie event soon and have the same dilemma - unfortunately not got your figure though!

lianamay86 Sun 08-Feb-15 13:51:28

They're all ASOS, sale on at the moment so they're all fairly cheap - under £100 anyway smile

I've narrowed it down to number 1, 5 (blue maxi) and 8, don't think I have the guts to wear cobalt blue but I think the style of the neckline will suit me, and it looks kind of floatyish...A-line is it? Flared out a bit at the waist anyway, so if I don't want to go too 'fitted' its an option.

I still have the long vs shorter option, I would have to wear tights with the midi dress as I have very pale legs that cant be seen 'naked' (lol) so maxi wins my vote on that score as less leg on show - if it is between Number 1 (maxi dress) and Number 8 (midi), which would you guys say is more suitable/which would you pick?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: