Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Eye make up removers

(26 Posts)
skillsandtea Sun 08-Feb-15 09:22:02

After lots of recommendations I bought the Benefit 'They're Real' mascara. It's ok but, blimey it's hard stuff! My previous Max Factor one just washed off with my normal face wash. So it seems I now need to get proper eye make up remover. Any suggestions?

Saurus72 Sun 08-Feb-15 09:58:05

The ultimate one IMHO is the Clinique bi-phase one in the lilac bottle, (maybe called Take the Day Off), however it is around £18, which I got tired of paying for. I now use the Boot Botanics bi-phase one which is about £3, and often on 3 for 2 - really good. I follow up by a quick wipe of Simple eye make up remover to remove any final traces (but Simple is useless to use as an actual eye make-up remover if you wear long-lasting mascara). It's just good as a final freshen.

HTH

Walkingonsunshine00 Sun 08-Feb-15 10:51:19

Purple Garnier one
Smells like apple, £3 Ish lasts a while

Hadron21 Sun 08-Feb-15 10:55:59

Boots Botanics is excellent. Doesn't sting but shifts anything!

Elfontheedge Sun 08-Feb-15 10:57:11

Something oil based. I've even used baby oil in an emergency. It's the only stuff that shifts it!

acsec Sun 08-Feb-15 10:57:23

Baby lotion for all your make up removal needs!

RiojaHaze Sun 08-Feb-15 10:57:26

I've been having a nightmare trying to find one that shifts my mascara. I've been told that coconut oil works and it really does! Takes the whole lot off without a trace, just a little bit of oily residue.

Fleeceblankets Sun 08-Feb-15 11:00:15

I find oil or oil based cleansers best for this. There are many out there but recently I switched to the Superdrug vitamin E oil cleanser. Have also used the boots Botanics balm cleanser (can't remember the exacr name, the one in the pot, it's a balm that turns oily on the skin). Pre-DC I used Liz Earle's hot cloth cleanser which was brilliant at removing makeup. Post-DC, having to cut spending with nursery fees and all, I 'down shifted' to Superdrug and Boots and found them to be just as good, tbh. I tried a garnier oil cleanser in the USA, don't think we have it here, or it is packaged differently, but anyway, found the Superdrug oil make up remover far superior in getting rid of mascara. I follow this with Superdrug's hot cloth cleanser.

MsVanRein Sun 08-Feb-15 11:11:52

Take the Day Off by Clinique - well worth the money I think. Only one which takes my mascara off but doesn't irritate my eyes.

youarethequarry Sun 08-Feb-15 11:17:08

Micellar water! I used the loreal well but lots of brands out there. Like water in consistency and is amazing! No rubbing - just cotton wool over the eyelid and it takes almost everything off in one go. Not harsh at all on the skin. Couldn't recommend enough!

CarpeJugulum Sun 08-Feb-15 11:19:10

Purple Garnier one here too. Takes all mine off with 2-3 gentle wipes.

MrsWolowitz Sun 08-Feb-15 12:34:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rosiepinkcheeks Sun 08-Feb-15 12:38:55

Loreal absolute lip and eye remover is really great. Similar to Lancome bi-facil but 1/5 of the price (or less if on offer at Boots).

Cassns1 Sun 08-Feb-15 15:05:48

I agree with the Take the Day Off by Clinique. It is brilliant. Also my 2 sisters wouldn't use anything else (they converted me smile )

Fabulassie Sun 08-Feb-15 17:07:17

I used a sample of Clinique Take The Day Off that I got when I bought the balm. I thought it was very good but rather than pay for it, I went for the purple Garnier. I think I actually have bought all three Garnier eyemakeup removers and I think it's the one that you have to shake that I am currently using. I guess it's OK.

I think Micellar Water is OK for general makeup removing but I use it after I have washed my face to remove the traces under my eyes. So, I use eyemakeup remover, then cleanse my face with Take The Day Off balm and then I use my Boots No 7 brush thingy with some liquid cleanser that I get from my botox skin spa lady and then I wipe up with micellar water before putting on my serums.

It sounds like a lot of trouble because it is: I wear an awful lot of eye makeup. When I wear false eyelashes then shit gets real.

chipsandpeas Sun 08-Feb-15 17:33:23

i use clinique take the day off cleansing balm to take off all my make up and it does take off benefits there real mascara and eyeliner brilliantly

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 08-Feb-15 17:38:35

This Garnier one Think it might be the same purple one as has been mentioned several times. It is very good, and very cheap. My eyes like it much better than the Lancome and Clinique ones.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 08-Feb-15 17:39:18

Actually, I think it's not because mine doesn't need shaking.

Floellabenjamin Sun 08-Feb-15 17:44:53

Sorry to hijack but was also going to post this. I've got Liz Earle CP, simple and also the micellar water- garnier. None of these shift my waterproof mascara. In fact I am now loosing eyelashes from all the rubbing.

Jaeme Sun 08-Feb-15 17:57:04

I have the same mascara and had to ditch my old remover as it wasn't taking it all off without loads of rubbing at my eyes.

I've found the Elemis white flowers eye make up remover to be really good. Just soak a cotton pad and leave it on for a little bit then the mascara all lifts off with it.

maybemyrtle Sun 08-Feb-15 18:19:20

Simple Nourishing Eye Makeup Remover Cream - cheap as chips and works brilliantly. The biphase ones were starting to sting my eyes and some didn't work at all well, this one is fab.

skillsandtea Tue 10-Feb-15 10:42:42

Those of you who use Clinique - Take the Day Off, do use put a little on cotton wool then wipe over your eyes or do you do as it says and put a lump on your fingers? It is expensive and I want to be as efficient with it as I can!

auldspinster Tue 10-Feb-15 12:43:59

I find that bi-phase removers take off pretty much anything. Like the Botanics, L'oreal and Nivea ones.

MimiSunshine Tue 10-Feb-15 14:20:11

Boots Simply Sensitive (NOT Simple) Its essentially baby oil but with added coconut oil and aloe.

What more do you need? It works really well too.

Cassns1 Tue 10-Feb-15 16:56:15

Hi skillsandtea, when I use it I put some on a small cotton pad and place on eye, leave it for a for a minute (prob less) and then wipe. Use both sides of pad.

Weirdly enough a makeup artist from my hometown posted this on Facebook;
"Fed up of Panda eyes after a night out ??? !! Try Coconut Oil from Holland & Barrett - it's the best product I have ever used to remove eye makeup"

I Might try it out as an alternative to Clinique x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: