Advanced search

If your workplace is smart/casual?

(10 Posts)
pepsi001 Sat 07-Feb-15 19:29:55

My workplace has just relaxed our dress code. We can pretty much wear what we like, but still need to be smart when meeting external customers etc.

Up to now I've had a separate wardrobe of work clothes and casual clothes. It is now tempting to wear my casual clothes more but I worry that I'll always look the same with no difference between work and the weekend.

How do other people balance this? I realise this is a first world problem.

HeffalumpsnWoozles Sat 07-Feb-15 20:03:55

I have the same problem so marking place. But for a different reason, I'm expected to look smart as I'm the line Manager, but there are aspects of the job that I need to be able to get quite physical. Which isn't at all practical in a suit!

So I end up wearing cardigans a lot which I never seem to get quite right, there's a very blurred line between my casual & workwear now & it's driving me nuts.

leadrightfoot Sat 07-Feb-15 23:32:38

I continued with the pre-policy change clothes, but for instance lost the jackets so wore thin jumpers (or thick ones in winters) or shirts in summer.
Honestly though some of my jackets I love so wear them anyway.
suits for external meetings still
Home clothes still home clothes

BackforGood Sat 07-Feb-15 23:41:21

I do different things on different days, but our office days are fairly casual. I have my own rule of no jeans, no trainers, no sports wear - so all can then stay as 'weekend wear' and it draws a line.
No problem in terms of management in wearing jeans - just my own self imposed rule. smile

milkysmum Sat 07-Feb-15 23:42:26

All my clothes are a bit if a mix- I don't have separate work and non work clothes really. I'm a community nurse though (no uniform!) so maybe more casual than smart casual?

milkysmum Sat 07-Feb-15 23:43:58

As previous poster though no sports wear so this would be weekend/ gym. We are not really meant to wear jeans but I often do

Essexgirlupnorth Sat 07-Feb-15 23:55:15

I've always had a smart/casual dress code at work as I often wear a lab coat.
I do try to dress smarter for work so dresses, black trousers but do sometimes wear jeans.
After spending a year living in jeans on mat leave was nice to have some variety.

pepsi001 Sun 08-Feb-15 08:09:14

Thanks for your replies.

I think one problem is I'm not good at dress down or being uber smart so none of my clothes are particularly different from each other. I cam definitely go with the no sports wear as I'm the type who keeps that for the gym only anyway.

I think No jeans is a good way to go. As the change in code has only happened in the last week or so lots of people are still wearing their normal clothes but it feels weird being dressed slightly more formally than say the young 24 year old male in my team who has fully embraced being able to wear anything he likes, when I being old - 36!!!!! Have always been told to dress for the job you want and to dress smartly is respectful. He's got his pants showing over his skinny jeans!!!

leadrightfoot Sun 08-Feb-15 14:05:27

Whatever the dress code PANTS on show is NEVER acceptable. I'd be stating "put your knickers away, it is harassment and keep it that way." Irrespective as to whether I was his boss or not. Revolting little oick

DarkNavyBlue Sun 08-Feb-15 18:46:54

Even though it's been relaxed I can't believe there isn't something in the dress code about 'appropriate', and pants is not appropriate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now