Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Wedding dress help

(11 Posts)
jerin Sat 07-Feb-15 14:07:17

Ladies, I need help!!
I'm getting married in Thailand next month and still don't have a dress!! I don't want a wedding dress type of dress but I would like something! I'm about 5'4 and a pear shaped 12/14/16 size. I'd like to cover the tops of my arms & bingo wings, (thinking cap sleeves?) and I'd like to give the illusion that I'm slimmer than I really am! I'd also like my knees covered as they are quite fat too! (Rapid weightloss program commencing!) Its not a beach wedding and to complicate further is a red & white theme!! And of course it's going to be hot! Please can you give me some style advice or some ideas of where to look, no huge budget either.......

ISolemnlySwearImUptoNoGood Sat 07-Feb-15 14:15:16

This may be no help at all but we visited Thailand for our honeymoon and they have so many seamstresses and tailors, that you could probably have one made while you're there. They can make full suits in a couple of days, my husband got one and it was fantastic quality. I saw a wedding dress being made in the tailors when DH had a fitting, it was beautiful. The bride was Russian and had visited Thailand to get her dress made.

My own wedding dress was bought from Etsy (that might be a good place to start) but made in Thailand, then shipped to the uk. It was everything I wanted and more.

jerin Sat 07-Feb-15 15:09:46

Oh thank you for the etsy suggestion- I'll go have a browse. Getting something made that might be an option but my worry would be getting the material. I know they have a ton there but I'm quite liking the idea of a white dress with a big flower print (I'm too old at 42 to be wearing white!) and I'm not sure I want to be in all red....... Arghhhh

ISolemnlySwearImUptoNoGood Sat 07-Feb-15 15:22:23

They do have tons of fabrics to choose from but I understand what you mean.

And yes it's hot. Really hot. The humidity is ridiculous all the time. You won't want anything fussy or heavy.

FauxFox Sat 07-Feb-15 18:08:34

red with lace
red and white 50s
red off the shoulder
red lace on white
red roses
roses pencil
roses wrap
red jewelled neckline
red and gold
white with coloured beadwork

Anything there?

tethersend Sat 07-Feb-15 18:56:06

What's your budget?

pricy but lovely

tethersend Sat 07-Feb-15 19:04:54

wrong colours?

tethersend Sat 07-Feb-15 19:26:57

bird print

tethersend Sat 07-Feb-15 19:28:28

bias cut

tethersend Sat 07-Feb-15 19:30:05

plain red

jerin Sat 07-Feb-15 21:08:50

Wow thanks for the suggestions ladies...... I can't open all the pages but there are some lovely dresses. I love the shape of the d&g one and I also love the hourglass swing one - just not sure I could pull it off!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: