Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Doc Martens for work?

(21 Posts)
geebie Sat 07-Feb-15 13:46:27

Hi, I'm a bit crap, please don't laugh at me grin

How out of place or unprofessional would black 8 hole DMs look in a professional but not super formal context?

Paired with a black dress and patterned jacket?

Obviously the boot would be clean and properly laced etc, but is it a big no-no?

Thanks smile

Ohwoolballs Sat 07-Feb-15 13:52:07

I wear Docs! As does my boss. We do work in a casual bookshop though. Better for the walk to work and dangers of dropping heavy stuff. Docs polished look v v smart in my opinion. Xgrin

statementnecklace Sat 07-Feb-15 13:52:39

I would say not appropriate, based on my fairly informal place of work (office based).

Floisme Sat 07-Feb-15 14:00:39

No-one would bat an eyelid in my workplace (a charity, public facing but not corporate).

NellysKnickers Sat 07-Feb-15 16:05:57

I wear my black patent dms for work. In an office, quite formal. They are shoes rather than boots though.

WastingMyYoungYears Sat 07-Feb-15 16:15:20

It's pushing it a bit, so only you can really judge. I do similar at my work with biker boots grin.

stripytees Sat 07-Feb-15 17:01:57

I wear mine to work a lot - charity sector office based, some of it public facing.

My boss mostly wears trainers with really bright socks. grin

I don't see it as any different from wearing Uggs or walking boots, tbh.

Fairylea Sat 07-Feb-15 17:03:24

Totally depends on your work place. My dh wears his to work but no one ever sees his feet!

BackforGood Sat 07-Feb-15 17:06:54

Doesn't really sound right to me, if your other attire is a 'black dress and patterned jacket' - that sounds "smarter" (more formal?) than doc martins. Very difficult to judge though without knowing how everyone else in your line of work dresses.

Bunbaker Sat 07-Feb-15 17:39:11

I think you could get away with it wear I work. I couldn't as I would just look ridiculous at my age.

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Sat 07-Feb-15 17:44:33

I used to wear them when I worked at M&S as they were comfy. No-one said anything. I wouldn't wear them when I work in an office though.

dreamingofsun Sat 07-Feb-15 17:49:12

totally out of place where i work - unless it was one of the working from home/dressing down days. i guess it depends if you have customers floating around or not and what their expectations are

noisytoys Sat 07-Feb-15 19:59:08

I wear the black patent shoes and the goyle biker boots to the office - both are fine.

BikeRunSki Sat 07-Feb-15 20:03:41

Are you a police officer ? wink

geebie Sat 07-Feb-15 20:26:38

Thanks all - it would be for delivering a conference type presentation to a group of peers in my line of work, but outside of my day to day job, where I would happily normally wear them! (Not a police officer as someone asked!!) I might err on the side of caution and where something I love less more formal smile

geebie Sat 07-Feb-15 20:27:38

And I should probably learn the difference between 'where' and 'wear' before the presentation too wink

hiccupgirl Sat 07-Feb-15 21:52:50

I have a couple of pairs of DM boots I wear for work but they aren't the classic style ones and my job is pretty casual for dress code.

I like the idea of DMs with a dress and jacket but only you know how formal is expected where you work.

Fishandjam Sat 07-Feb-15 22:02:13

It really depends on your workplace (sorry, I know that's not helpful!) I personally would wear DM shoes at mine, but not boots, unless it's Friday when we often dress down a bit. (I work as an in-house lawyer in a tech company - so plenty of scruffy geek engineers about.)

That said, I wore knee high laced cherry DM boots to an anti-bribery conference at a city law firm last week. Felt the need to be vaguely subversive!

something2say Sun 08-Feb-15 10:22:32

I want a pair of black DMs. I do client facing charity work. Lots of the clients are in hoodies etc so DMs would be fine. On Fridays I have to work in a police office tho and Dms would not go down well there, although they say they like my style. I totally get the poster who said they felt the need to be subversive. It is important to show who you are through your dress sense I think. Especially in a cop shop when i am a hippy punk sort and they can all get stuffed with their uniforms and power trips!

gerbiltamer Sun 08-Feb-15 16:52:04

I'm a civil servant in London and wear my long DM Red Elena/long brown cleated/long black ones to work paired with leggings and jersey dresses. Not sure if I'd plump for my red parent Clemancies though smile DMs are bloody fab and so comfy and warm to commute in and what's so great is the sheer range of styles they sell.

Sorry, I'm rambling. MN has re-ignited my love of Docs and now I'm obsessed smile

gerbiltamer Sun 08-Feb-15 16:53:06

patent boots. Blimmin' phone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: