Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Is serum ruining my skin ?!

(22 Posts)
lovelychops Sat 07-Feb-15 10:26:36

After reading the Sali Hughes beauty book I used my Christmas money and invested in the Clarins serum. Didn't really notice any results and then steadily started to get painful spots on chin and forehead. Gutted. I never get spots and have happily used Clarins in the past.

I think I didn't want to admit defeat and thought unhealthy ways of Christmas may have contributed. I'd also had some lovely mini clarins and origins samples and had been using these too - thought maybe my skin was a bit 'overloaded' ?

So, I simplified skincare routine. Just a origins cleanser and Nivea moisturiser (skin is really dry and a bit sore) and things started to go back to normal. So introduced a boots Botanics serum and my chin is covered in spots yet again.!

Spoke to lady on clarins counter and she said just to keep at it with serum. But I suppose she would say that wouldn't she ?

Should I just power through ? anyone have any experience of this ? My skin is sore from spots and I'm almost £50 out of pocket with a spotty chin to show for it. hmm

DontKillMyVibe Sat 07-Feb-15 10:33:48

I normally love Clarins products but their double serum didn't agree with me either and gave me spots and clogged pores. I do believe that serums are good for the skin, that one just wasn't right for me. Have switched to dermalogica now and my skin has improved.

spanky2 Sat 07-Feb-15 10:42:11

I used Nivea naturals facial wipes with Argan oil and the same thing happened to my skin. I now wash with aqueous cream and my skin is back to normal.

thisissohard Sat 07-Feb-15 10:46:57

I think the double serum has mineral oil in it, which causes spots in some people. If you want an awesome serum use something like Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair, or Clinique's Smart serum. They shouldn't cause spots.

DontKillMyVibe Sat 07-Feb-15 10:48:17

Agree that Estée Lauder Night Repair never gave me spots. Really liked it and would use again

GinSoakedBitchyPony Sat 07-Feb-15 11:32:47

I'm another fan of ELANR. I don't know if it's giving any long term benefits, but it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin at all, no spots, and I look a bit younger fresher in the mornings after I use it. My skincare routine is inconsistent, some nights I just cleanse. When I do use the ANR I look better the next day. I hate the price of it though.

BallroomWithNoBalls Sat 07-Feb-15 12:11:10

All the serums I have tried have given me spots - I think it is because they are silicone based which suffocates the skin.

I prefer oils and cream moisturisers - toners too, so delivering moisture, exfoliants or whatever you are trying to deliver but without the silicones.

Floisme Sat 07-Feb-15 13:16:00

It damn near ruined mine. To be fair, I can't be 100% sure it was serum and not just general product overload but my skin turned really red and sore and for a long time I couldn't use any product without stinging. I still have to be careful even now. I tell anyone who'll listen (I realise no-one does grin) not to touch serums. Even if they don't do any actual harm, I think they're a scam.

hippoinatutu Sat 07-Feb-15 13:25:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BuzzardBird Sat 07-Feb-15 13:32:14

Firstly, take it back to Clarins and say you have had a reaction from using it. The consultant was just trying to avoid giving you a refund...you have no idea how these women are pressured with their sales targets.
Secondly, before you invest mega bucks in another serum (recommend Clinique, Dior or Body shop Aloe Vera) ask them for samples.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 07-Feb-15 13:37:39

Really? I started using serum after reading Pretty Honest [sheep emoticon] and it's transformed my skin. I'd been starting to find moisturiser wasn't up to the job and my skin was still tight and dry and itchy, despite trying different products. I use a Loreal one - laser effect maybe? mainly because it's always on offer and it has really improved.

I'm normally skeptical about various claims for beauty products but I was glad I tried it. I might try the body shop one mentioned.

BuzzardBird Sat 07-Feb-15 13:56:13

The Body Shop Aloe Vera range I tried after Valiumredhead recommended it to be after a break out of eczema...it is miracle stuff and they gave me a sample pot of eye cream, day cream, night cream and serum which was enough for 2 weeks so that I had long enough to see if it worked before I bought it...and compared to other ranges it was dirt cheap.

hippoinatutu Sat 07-Feb-15 14:03:01

lovelychops Sat 07-Feb-15 14:30:23

Hippo - sali raves about it in her book, I know she's since praised a vinchy one.

I'd had some samples of an origins one and it had been great so I'm pretty annoyed at myself for trusting the sali recommended one over that. But the origins one is even more expensive!

lovelychops Sat 07-Feb-15 14:30:48

Ps I will check out the body shop one. Thanks

lovelychops Sat 07-Feb-15 14:34:55

Buzzard - do you think the clarins assistant would give me a refund? There's a few weeks worth been used. I think when I approached her I probably came across as looking for advice rather than assertively asking for a refund.

I appreciate that they're under a lot of pressure to meet targets etc.

I wouldn't usually spend bb money without asking for a same but as is been so happy with clarins in the past I didn't think I'd need to. And it felt like a decadent treat after a rather shitty year.

hippoinatutu Sun 08-Feb-15 08:01:33

lovelychops Sun 08-Feb-15 10:17:13

Thanks hippo. I haven't got the receipt though, won't that make a difference? I've got three new spots this morning ! hmm

NormHonal Sun 08-Feb-15 10:22:04

I also have spot-prone skin and also recommend Estée Lauder Advance Night Repair - it helps to heal any spots/scabs, you really can see a difference overnight.

BuzzardBird Sun 08-Feb-15 10:44:53

Do you have any proof of purchase or did you use a reward card? Any ghost of proof will do. If no joy speak directly to Clarins. It doesn't really matter that you have used it for a few weeks because it took that long for your skin to react to it...which is why it is better to have a 2 week sample before you buy.
I seem to recall that Clinique has a GWP on from this weekend, can't remember if their serum is in it...

BuzzardBird Sun 08-Feb-15 10:46:43

No, just checked, the serum isn't in the bonus time. They usually have the sample sized bottles though.

hippoinatutu Sun 08-Feb-15 11:55:52

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: