Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Do any of the French pharmacy brands do a hot-cloth cleanser?

(16 Posts)
hippospot Sat 07-Feb-15 09:34:29

Used to use Liz Earle C&P or Superdrug Radiance one, but am now living abroad and when travelling usually take hand luggage only stupid rules about carrying liquids so can never stock up.

Just wondering if LRP or Avene or others do a hot cloth cleanser, and how on earth would it be labelled? Also, are they somehow different from cream cleansers? Until a year ago I used foaming face wash so forgive my naivety.

Thanks

acharmofgoldfinches Sat 07-Feb-15 09:49:34

Liz Earle deliver to Europe and most locations worldwide, not cheap obviously, but you could put in a bulk order (or just treat yourself to loads of lovely stuff smile)

dexter73 Sat 07-Feb-15 10:20:42

I would just use a regular cleanser and wipe it off with a hot cloth.

MilkThistle187 Sat 07-Feb-15 10:26:14

Nuxe do a lovely rose balm cleanser that you could use with a hot cloth

Armpitt Sat 07-Feb-15 10:49:42

lol at Dexter wink

BallroomWithNoBalls Sat 07-Feb-15 12:15:09

I agree with Dexter! It's the scrubbing your face with cloth that does the job. Any rich creamy or oily cleanser will work fine.

Bonsoir Sat 07-Feb-15 12:16:42

I am not aware of any of the French pharmacy brands doing this (and I know them well).

I am completely addicted to my Clarisonic, which I think gives the best cleanse on the market for the least hassle.

Twinklestein Sat 07-Feb-15 12:20:56

Not familiar with Liz Earle cleanser.

Caudalie do 'Instant Foaming Cleanser' (Mousse Netoyage) and a cleansing oil 'Divine Oil' (Huile Divine).

hippospot Sat 07-Feb-15 12:37:55

What style of cleanser can be used with a Clarisonic?

(I have combination skin and still get spots --even though I'm 40 FGS--)

Kundry Sat 07-Feb-15 12:58:13

If you are still getting spots, it's not a better cleanser that you want but exfoliating acid.

You need:
Gentle non-foaming cleanser (feel free to use with a hot cloth if it makes you happy) - Avene, Vichy and LRP have millions of options for this
Clarisonic optional - overdoing it can make spots worse
Acid - Salicylic for blackheads, Lactic/Glycolic for spots. Again all 3 brands have acid containing spot products which are great. Effaclar Duo is much loved on here, I've also used Vichy Normaderm and loved that as well.
Moisturiser - oil-free.

Bonsoir Sat 07-Feb-15 13:36:23

I use the Clarisonic brand cleanser (Refreshing Gel). I find it simultaneously much more gentle (the antithesis of "overdoing" it) and much more thorough than other cleansing methods.

hippospot Sat 07-Feb-15 15:31:31

I have never considered using Effaclar because I just assumed it was for younger skin, but I think it's worth a try. Thanks for the recommendation. I get fed up at having lines and age pigmentation but still getting spots (worse at the time of the month and if I eat too much cheese or chocolate). My skin isn't dry but in winter it does feel a bit tighter. What's the Effaclar moisturiser like? I'm using LRP Hydraphase Light (I think) UV moisturiser right now and it feels about right - not heavy or greasy at all.

Kundry Sat 07-Feb-15 15:57:33

Acids are both good for acne/blackheads and exfoliating to reveal younger looking skin - so they are key to most anti-ageing products.

If you want to go the whole hog you would then have a retinol containing night cream e.g. LRP Redermic - again because the retinol component exfoliates so good for both spots and ageing.

You need to use SPF in the daytime too.

Annarose2014 Sat 07-Feb-15 16:01:27

Caudalie do 'Instant Foaming Cleanser' (Mousse Netoyage) and a cleansing oil 'Divine Oil' (Huile Divine).

Divine Oil is a cleanser? I thought it was a moisturising oil?

hippospot Sat 07-Feb-15 16:02:12

I had no idea that retinol or indeed anything could be good for spots and ageing, so that is good news, thanks!

I kind of always imagine that anti-ageing creams are rich and greasy they probably were 30 years ago

Are there any downsides of using something like LRP Redermic (is it expensive?)

Kundry Sat 07-Feb-15 16:20:31

It's not massively expensive - priced same as the rest of the brand. You will read horror stories on the internet about redness and flaking skin with retinols but 99.9% of these relate to Retin-A users - Retin-A is prescription only and much much stronger than the stuff you get in beauty products.

If you get any redness at all (which is actually good because it's a sign the product is working) you just cut down so use alternate days or mix it with some moisturiser and then step it up again in a few weeks. But it's v v unlikely you will as it is much weaker than the prescription stuff.

Other downside is you need to use SPF every day - but you were doing that anyway grin as SPF is far and away the most anti-ageing thing you can do for your skin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: