Advanced search

Longchamp le pliage - really worth the money?

(34 Posts)
Wenchelda Sat 07-Feb-15 05:39:41

I often see the le pliage recommended on here so have been looking at them online. Are they really worth the money for what they are? I do like the look of them and the small tote with shoulder straps is the right size/shape for what I need, but £50+ for a nylon bag seems crazy to me. Also, if I do go for one, would a light colour be a really bad idea? Do they get marked/dirty easily? Can they be washed in any way? Thanks.

Wenchelda Sat 07-Feb-15 05:40:16

That was a lot of questions, sorry!

AmethystMoon Sat 07-Feb-15 06:56:53

I have a navy long strap one and find it very useful. I don't generally use it as my only bag though. I use it as it is designed, as a handy bag that folds up small which I carry in my main bag in case I need an extra bag.
So handy to pop in hang luggage when travelling, out shopping it saves carrying lots of tiny carrier bags, or when my toddler starts randomly shedding clothes when we're out!
I would avoid a light colour personally.

BringMeTea Sat 07-Feb-15 06:57:05

Love mine. Have 3. Not a great daily bag as no compartments. I use it as a beach bag or shopper or for flights. Yes the lighter colours do mark but you can give them a wee scrub with soap and warm water.

CaptainJamesTKirk Sat 07-Feb-15 08:00:28

I use mine for work because it is big and strong and not ugly. It wipes down easily. If you're someone who likes compartments you won't like it. It's perfect for me because I'm a chucker of everything in kind of person.

d0ttyne11 Sat 07-Feb-15 08:07:36

I'd thought the same but absolutely love mine (bought in House of Frasers on a 20% off day so got a bit of a discount) They also have them at airports if like me, you thought the price was eye watering for what it was!!

I went for red and I've been happy with how the colour has lasted and the marking isn't too bad (after 3 years or so) Very light when empty too and the little pocket by the zip is perfect size for mobile and keys.

They are pretty strong actually - I've never had a concern about the handles fraying or giving up and I tend to use mine for commuting, shove my laptop in there sometimes, a pair of shoes, lunchbox. Looks so much smarter than even the slightly bashed paper bags with rope handles I used to go around with.

Have since bought 2 more (1 small, 1 large) and got them as gifts for my Mum and sister.

MaryMarigold Sat 07-Feb-15 08:11:47

I luffs mine. I use it for work because it's like the tardis, zips up securely and is waterproof.

I have a muted purple one and if it gets grubby I give it a quick wipe with a baby wipe. Not sure about the lighter colours.

I have solved the compartments problem by keeping everything in smaller bags/organisers inside it. Shouldn't be an issue with the small tote though.

bettykt Sat 07-Feb-15 08:16:28

I've got a black one and initially thought it was a bit pricey but I use it for work and it's a real work horse. I've had mine over a year and it still looks good despite not taking great care of it.

I bought some bag inserts for it from Primark, can't link as I'm on IPad, so now I have separate compartments. Have recently acquired an orange one and am looking forward to using it in the summer.

CointreauVersial Sat 07-Feb-15 09:29:56

I love mine too. I haven't had it for long, so I can't comment on how long-lasting it is, but I have a dark colour (purple-blue). They are excellent quality and I think the price is right for what they are. A great handbag for those days out when you are lugging all sorts of extra items.

gonegrey56 Sat 07-Feb-15 09:33:47

I have the rucksack. Perfect for holidays and amazingly capacious. It still looks good after 3 plus years . I have the pale grey colour . Never thought I would use it or like it so much .

Floggingmolly Sat 07-Feb-15 09:34:01

Apparently they're guaranteed for life... The store on Regent Street will repair any fraying, etc. no matter how old the bag is. That's what I call service!

Cranagh Sat 07-Feb-15 09:38:08

I have had a few, they are great for travelling, throwing all the kids' stuff in on days out, etc. However, all frayed at the corners within a year. I don't think I'd buy one again.

Floggingmolly Sat 07-Feb-15 09:38:50

They'll repair it free of charge, Cranagh.

Cranagh Sat 07-Feb-15 09:43:53

Well, that's good but it's a schlep to take it in there!

Sleetsleetmoresleet Sat 07-Feb-15 09:48:44

gonegrey how big is the rucksack? Are there different sizes? Thanks.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Sat 07-Feb-15 09:53:12

Lots of schoolgirls in SW London seem to have then which puts me off them rather...

gonegrey56 Sat 07-Feb-15 10:42:59

The rucksack looks quite small, so it is more a handbag size than a big tote. But I can fit in wallet , big make up bag, kindle and mini iPod , water bottle and all the other bits of junk I seem to need yet sling it over one shoulder and not be weighed down by it. I think it only comes in one size . Mine cost about £60 I think. The fact that it weighs so little and can be packed away ( if, like me, you buy another handbag on holiday ahem...) are other points in its favour .

Armpitt Sat 07-Feb-15 10:48:46

no! they re really ugly

libertychick Sat 07-Feb-15 11:05:40

Love mine. I use as an 'overflow' work bag and for days out shopping etc.

Good to know they will repair them. I have a small amount of fraying on one corner so next time I am near the shop I will ask them about it. I have navy and I will probably get an orange one at some point.

AmethystMoon Sat 07-Feb-15 20:36:43

Does anyone know if they are sold at Gatwick's North terminal?

Lambzig Sat 07-Feb-15 21:37:48

Love mine for travelling as you can squish everything in there.

WhereIsMyFurryHat Sat 07-Feb-15 21:58:57

I bought a large tote today for gym/ swimming stuff. Supposedly it's the right size for hand luggage on aeroplanes too. It was £63, cheaper for smaller ones.

Saurus72 Sat 07-Feb-15 22:05:53

I have an inordinate amount of love for mine too which I never expected. I have a Planetes black long handled handbag which I use for work, and it is brilliant - I bought it from Selfridges in the Black Friday sale with 20% discount.

I have to say that the ones with the tan leather are not really for me, but I do like the Neo range (leather handles same colour as the rest of the bag), and am currently trying to decide between the pale grey Sarah Morris handbag with black leather, or the navy/white/yellow tote that is from the SS15 range.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 08-Feb-15 16:40:58

I love mine, cost £70 but have used it every working day for the last 4 years to cart laptop/lunch/paperwork to and from work. Worth every penny.

QueenBean Sun 08-Feb-15 16:43:46

Love mine, have 3 different ones and use them all loads

You can chuck them in the washing machine with no problem either

Only this is i would recommend not to get the large overnight one with the short handles - being able to put it over a shoulder is much more practical

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now