Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What age can you get away with a mini dress?

(15 Posts)
SocialButterfly Fri 06-Feb-15 18:41:34

I am out to a party tomorrow night. I have borrowed a very pretty navy lace dress from a friend. It has long sleeves and a high neck so no chest on show but it is very short.
Im 36 and size 10, will I look like mutton? I was planning on wearing high heels with it. Ive tried it on tonight and dh says I look nice but then he said I look sexy with started the bells ringing that I might be dressing a bit tarty and everyone will be commenting on the length of my hem line.

DeanKoontz Fri 06-Feb-15 18:42:49

Of course you wont look like mutton. I think it's more to do with figure than age tbh. I would if I could.

superzero Fri 06-Feb-15 18:47:36

I wouldn't think twice about wearing it,sounds lovely.
I'm six years older, my legs are ok & I still wear short things!

jimmycrackcornbutidontcare Fri 06-Feb-15 18:51:36

I would never have worn one because I am a big prude. I say 'go for it.'

SocialButterfly Fri 06-Feb-15 18:57:33

Thank you ladies, I thought it looked ok but then had second thoughts. Just needed a bit of MN reassurance!

DontKillMyVibe Fri 06-Feb-15 20:09:53

I'm your age and wear short things and don't look mutton/tarty

specialsubject Fri 06-Feb-15 20:45:36

in my case, never - not overweight but designed with larger thighs. If you've got the legs, wear a mini until you are 90!

styles that have age limits: Bunches in hair, things printed with princesses, ra-ra skirts, babygros. That's it.

WowOoo Fri 06-Feb-15 20:49:23

You are 36 and a size 10 and you're asking? Good grief! Sounds lovely.

specialsubject I'm all sad now that I can't wear my princess print hot pants with bunches and matching ra ra skirt and babygro underneath. I'll pass them on...smile

100sanemum Fri 06-Feb-15 21:56:19

You are 36!!!! Wear anything you like and revel in being sexy

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Fri 06-Feb-15 22:33:55

I'm nearly ten years older than you and still wear minis. Would far rather see a bit of leg than a load of chest, and my legs are one of my v few good bits!

The dress sounds lovely. Are you wearing tights with it?

pinkfrocks Fri 06-Feb-15 22:49:23

If it just covers your knickers it will look silly ( at any age) but as long as it's mid way between your knees and your foof then you will be ok. As long as your legs are decent- not stick insect or tree trunks.

CointreauVersial Sat 07-Feb-15 09:39:24

I'm nearly 48 and still wear the odd mini skirt, but only with a modest neckline and opaques. Not bum-skimming, obviously! My legs are slim, but my knees are getting a bit knobbly. grin I do much prefer midi length nowadays on me, though.

Go for it, it sounds lovely, and 36 is no age!

burnishedsilver Sat 07-Feb-15 11:09:39

Just make sure you can sit down without displaying the gussett of your tights......not a good look at any age.

specialsubject Sat 07-Feb-15 11:45:15

oh go on Wowooo wear the bunches... smile

oh yes, exposed knickers are a fair point. Shamelessly watching Star Trek reruns from an era when skirts were mere belts. Uhura looks brilliant until she turns round, when it is revealed that the skirt is so short that her Starfleet-issue granny pants are revealed. Not pretty even on the actress who was a stunner (without being skinny).

she does know how to sit in a ladylike fashion though...

SocialButterfly Sat 07-Feb-15 16:37:04

I bottled it. I now have a new dress to wear that is knee length. I sent a photo to a friend and she also said it looked lovely but I think I would have been tugging at the hem all night. It's not just how you look but how you feel and I think I would have felt self conscious. Thanks for all the encouragement though maybe next time I'll be braver.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: