Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Long curly hair - how to look good on non-wash days?

(15 Posts)
tactum Fri 06-Feb-15 14:43:56

I have long, naturally curly, thick hair (on the dry side), which looks pretty good on the days I wash it. I use a conditioner, and then john freida mousse and jf curls styling spray.

It goes frizzy if brushed, so I only brush it before washing and after just run my fingers through it n scrunch it.

getting to the point............because it is so long n thick I don't wash it every day - prob twice a week generally. How can I get it looking good on days 2 and 3 after a wash? I usually put a bit more of the styling spray on but the end up tying it back in a pony tail. After the wash day it looks quite straggly and dry and a bit limp really (but it isn't greasy)

Any tips or products anyone can suggest to keep it looking good after a wash? TIA

Amarena Fri 06-Feb-15 15:37:26

My hair's the same and the answer is.....you can't. Sadly. Well, I can't, anyway.

I wash my hair every day otherwise it looks frizzy instead of ringlet-y. I could just about getting away without washing it on day 2 but definitely not after that. If I don't wash it I have to put it up. But it still looks bad.

I never brush my hair before washing though, I brush it afterwards, when I've sprayed detangler on it. I would never get a brush through it when it's dry, not without breaking off loads of hair anyway.

strawberrydaquari Fri 06-Feb-15 15:40:47

The day after washing mine I get up a bit earlier than usual and scrunch with water. By the time I'm almost out the door it's dry and I separate the curls.
The day after this I resort to the curly pony tail

hellsbellsmelons Fri 06-Feb-15 16:02:28

I just get it wet again in the morning, rescrunch and add a bit more mouse.
My sister has far longer hair than me and she does the same.
Doesn't need washing, just wetting.

ZaraW Fri 06-Feb-15 16:50:26

I can go for three days without washing and then it looks tangled and a bit of a mess. In between washes I use Devacurl Mister Right and Set It Free to stop frizz.

LineRunner Fri 06-Feb-15 16:52:56

I've noticed if I get caught in the rain and let it dry naturally, it suddenly looks great.

Acid rain is clearly the answer.

itsveryyou Fri 06-Feb-15 16:56:40

Mine is better the day after washing, it needs a bit of muck in it for the curls to look their best. I wash one day, then days two, three and possibly four, spray with water and some Deva curl product, then diffuse.

Skinheadmermaid Fri 06-Feb-15 17:27:58

I have to get water on my hair or i would look like a yeti.
I wash it everyday, sometimes just with conditioner.

Theselittlelightsofmine Fri 06-Feb-15 17:34:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Theselittlelightsofmine Fri 06-Feb-15 17:35:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoofyIsACow Fri 06-Feb-15 17:48:35

I can get days and days out of my curls after watching a video someone linked to on here, i have just searched for ages on youtube and I have found it but I can't manage to link on my ipad.
If you search on youtube for 2nd day curls, the name of the account is Hair Romance and in the video she is wearing a blue and white striped top and is looking in a mirror, she uses a curling wand, i just do a few curls over the top to refresh my curls and it looks great.

GoofyIsACow Fri 06-Feb-15 17:50:40

This is a reen shot of the one i mean

EthelCardew Fri 06-Feb-15 17:59:10

I've tried lots of different smoothing products to get rid of the second day frizz but nothing really makes it look any neater than a bit of Boots pink curl creme (which I use after washing anyway) watered down in a spray bottle.

I've recently started wearing it in a loose top knot to bed and it stops the curls from frizzing quite so much and any frizz it does cause on the underneath actually acts like a bit of a back comb and aids volume so the smoother curls sit on top. Either that or I wear it up on the second day.

MamaLazarou Fri 06-Feb-15 18:08:56

Watching this thread with interest: I have never been able to wear my hair down two days running without completely soaking it. I have tried everything.

GoofyIsACow Fri 06-Feb-15 18:15:27

Me neither mama, honestly, i bought a curling wand (of which i have had two and sold them because i never got on with them) i didnt try using it to revive my curls, I don't wet my hair because that makes the frizz worse.
That video made me start wearing my hair curly, i always straigtened it previously and my hair is like ringlet curls left to dry naturally!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: