Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Best way to remove Shellac

(6 Posts)
OldBeanbagz Fri 06-Feb-15 12:41:49

So DD had her nails done at a sleepover last weekend and would now like it off. But i understand it's tricky.

What's the best way to get it off without trashing her nails?

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Fri 06-Feb-15 12:46:38

go to a salon and get them o remove it. or Google YouTube and see how to do it. You need acetone, cotton wool pads, kitchen foil and a nail file. You file the shellac to take the shine off and roughen the surface, then put acetone onto a cotton wool pad, hold it on the nail and then wrap a small piece of tin foil around it, leave for ten minutes and it should slide off, you might need an orange stick to help it come off www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20Pcs-Nail-Art-Orange-Wood-Stick-Cuticle-Pusher-Remover-Pedicure-Manicure-Tool-/201177799436?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Nails_Manicure_Pedicure_CA&hash=item2ed7219b0c

then keep using plenty of acetone with the cotton wool to remove the residue. I only ever did this once myself, I've then always let the nail technician remove the old set and put a new set on or paid £5 to have them removed.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Fri 06-Feb-15 12:47:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFDfb2vz1ag

Thingymawotsit Fri 06-Feb-15 12:48:01

Is it proper Shellac? Not just a Gel polish? Each removal is slightly different. Proper Shellac if applied properly is easily removed.

You'll need:
cotton pads
Tin foil
Acetone
An orange stick (maybe)

Soak folded cotton pad in acetone, place on top of nail and wrap a square of tin foil around the top of the finger to hold the pad in place.

It's kinder to the skin than just dipping fingers Into the acetone, and the heat helps speed up the removal process.

Leave for 8-10 minutes, when removing the foil and pads twist them to rub off most of the Shellac.

dementedpixie Fri 06-Feb-15 12:50:07

pure acetone, cotton wool pads and small bits of foil. put acetone on half a cotton wool pad, put over the nail and then wrap the foil over the top. Repeat for each nail. Alternatively pour acetone into a bowl and get her to put her nails in for a while. test occasionally to see if they are starting to come off.

You could always take her to a nail place and get them to take it off but it will cost a few quid

OldBeanbagz Fri 06-Feb-15 12:52:59

Ok so i need to get some acetone then. Think i have everything else.

Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: