Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What's wrong with jeans and sparkly top for a night out?

(72 Posts)
Nextwednesday Fri 06-Feb-15 09:56:29

I have a rare night out this weekend and bought a pair of pale grey skinny jeans and a sparkly top yesterday to wear with heels. Got home, tried it on, fine.

On a thread I read later, someone said something like, oh that's better than going out in jeans and a sparkly top. Now I feel like taking it back!

What's wrong with it and what's the alternative when a dress is too dressy?

Finola1step Fri 06-Feb-15 09:57:35

Perfectly fine in my book.

HolgerDanske Fri 06-Feb-15 09:59:13

If that's what you want to wear and you were happy with the outfit then I wouldn't put any stock whatsoever in what someone else that you don't know and will never meet thinks of it smile

It's all about what you feel comfortable in and what suits you, isn't it?

MrsMarigold Fri 06-Feb-15 09:59:31

Fine, although I guess it depends on the people you hang out with, I went out a few weeks ago and was amazed at the number of women in short, backless dresses, all I could think was how cold they must've be.

MrsMarigold Fri 06-Feb-15 10:00:04

*been.

RedCrayons Fri 06-Feb-15 10:01:18

You are describing my entire 'going out' wardrobe.

mowglik Fri 06-Feb-15 10:11:27

I think it sounds fine, and if the look suits you too then it's perfect, and makes more sense than people buying playsuits and shorts to go out in this weather!

dexter73 Fri 06-Feb-15 10:33:30

But did you see the dress that was supposed to be better than the jeans and sparkly top?! I wouldn't be taking fashion advice off someone who thought that was a nice dress as we obviously have completely different taste in clothes!

Jackie0 Fri 06-Feb-15 10:36:57

I'd wear jeans more often if I had the figure for them. I'm one of those people who get dressed up but its only because its more flattering and forgiving to a size 16 to wear a lbd.

Nextwednesday Fri 06-Feb-15 10:37:05

I would be arrested if I went out in that.

Thanks everyone. I feel better now. still taking it back

WipsGlitter Fri 06-Feb-15 10:39:21

I think it's like a safe 'mum going out' uniform (I will be wearing it when I got out tomorrow myself!!) And that's why people are a bit sniffy about it.

ouryve Fri 06-Feb-15 10:40:24

Absolutely noting wrong with it.

Some people are overly concerned with looks.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 06-Feb-15 10:40:30

Like everything in life, with how you dress you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all of the time and why should you. We all have different opinions don't we. Me personally would not be seen dead in jeans and a top day or night, but that doesn't mean it's not the right thing for you, so in a nutshell if they suit you and you feel good in them then that's fine

Nextwednesday Fri 06-Feb-15 10:45:26

Just off out to buy a dress.

50ShadesOfSummer Fri 06-Feb-15 11:04:00

There's nothing wrong with it. I avoid it because I never much like the way I look in jeans. Skinny trousers fine; skirts, dresses, shorts - even playsuits - all fine. Just don't like jeans on myself. Have a number of sparkly tops however.

Isabelonatricycle Fri 06-Feb-15 11:07:20

Whoa, that dress is a petticoat isn't it!? It looks like underwear!

AvonCallingBarksdale Fri 06-Feb-15 11:12:45

Nothing - that is basically my go-to "going out" wardrobe confused That dress is hideous grin

NickiFury Fri 06-Feb-15 11:13:37

Absolutely nothing wrong with jeans and a sparkly top for going out. MN is the last place I take fashion advice from. It's full of the same middle class, "safe" recommendations over and over again.

glasgowlass Fri 06-Feb-15 11:15:11

That dress is vile! Just wear what you feel comfortable with and makes you feel good. To hell with what anyone else thinks.

timer Fri 06-Feb-15 11:18:30

That dress makes me feel cold just looking at it.

I'd wear jeans and jumper for going out at the moment because I like to be warm and practical smile

SwingingBalls Fri 06-Feb-15 11:22:59

I read that thread earlier and did question whether my safe choice of skinnies and top is a bit boring. If I wore that dress, which is never going to happen, I would be fidgeting all night and pulling at the hem and checking that my titties hadn't fallen out.

Floggingmolly Fri 06-Feb-15 11:24:57

Well I'd hope you weren't sitting beside me on your night out.
because that's exactly what I'd be wearing too wink

Floggingmolly Fri 06-Feb-15 11:26:13

Jesus, I've just rtft! I meant the jeans and top; not that dress!!

polyhymnia Fri 06-Feb-15 11:26:24

The dress is dreadful beyond belief.

Nothing wrong at all with what you usually wear. I think it can be a really good look and would wear my best skinny jeans and stylish top to go almost anywhere. I suppose it's a bit of a safe choice but so what. You can put your personal stamp on the look by how you style it.

I8toys Fri 06-Feb-15 11:31:22

Nothing wrong with it at all. That dress is for 17 year olds on the pull.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: