Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Jeans - short, hourglass-ish with very large thighs

(10 Posts)
Bubbshjs Thu 05-Feb-15 16:19:45

Please help as my current jeans are about to wear through on inner thighs (I did mention the large inner thighs!). Have always struggled with jeans as my proportions stay the same as size goes up or down (very 'up' at the moment), which means unbelievably tight thighs and gaping waists when I fit my hips. Most of the jeans I try on won't pull over my thighs.

I'm only 5ft tall and wear an inner leg of about 29/30" as I always wear heels of some description. I have about 10-11" difference between hips and waist. My individual thigh measurement is only 5inches smaller than my waist i.e. about 90% of my waist size (and only 1" smaller than the waist I used to have!!!) shock That means they are seriously out of proportion, with most of the excess in the inner and front thigh (no saddle bags really). On the plus side I have a flat stomach smile Looking for dark denim obviously and would prefer a straight cut or a narrow bootleg. Skinnies are not for me and that seems to be all that the shops are full of at the moment.

Any thoughts please? (UK based)

blibblibs Thu 05-Feb-15 16:42:50

Boyfriend fit? I'm the same height and actually have a pair that i don't turn up, to prevent me looking even shorter, and they end up looking a bit like skinnies due to filling the thighs out blush

I also had an email from Gap the other day and they had some new styles in for spring, may be worth a look as I always find them quite generous in the leg.

Twinklestein Thu 05-Feb-15 16:46:34

Yes I was going to suggest boyfriends.

I've seen loads of bootlegs around, Oasis in particular, even M&S have them.

SingingBear Thu 05-Feb-15 16:49:31

Gap, Monsoon and Next all do bootcuts in short length and have always done so. It can't be only me that has ignored skinnies therefore!

HermioneWeasley Thu 05-Feb-15 18:23:58

Levi's bold curve

Bubbshjs Thu 05-Feb-15 19:04:44

Thanks, but it's not the complete lack of bootlegs that's an issue, it's contemporary straights/bootlegs with enough room for my thighs and minimal gaping at the waist.
Next is useless for me I'm afraid - waists are huge and thighs tiny relatively speaking. Monsoon jeans I confess I've never tried (didn't even know they did them) but nothing else has ever fitted in Monsoon so unlikely I think. Oasis could be worth a try as I haven't been in there for ages and boyfriends might work without turn-ups.
I've just ordered some GAP ones online in desperation as they sound like they may fit (think the current pair will split any day shock), but they're a bit boring and if you're avoiding the current skinnies fashion then bootlegs/straights can't afford to be mumsy, which I'm afraid they might on me. This is a very old post, but I still think it's still true as pocket size/design/placement etc makes a big difference. www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html
Guess I didn't mention the desire for something non-mumsy looking in my original post, sorry.

SorrelForbes Thu 05-Feb-15 19:06:20

Apart from the fact that I'm a bit taller, we have identical proportions. The thighs on my jeans always rub away!

The best I've found shape wise are:
Gap High rise skinnies
Gap boyfriend coupe (in outlet stores)
Jigsaw Boyfriend

None of these are like loose boyfriend styles on me, they look more like skinnies. Proper skinnies however make me look a bit parsnipy!

Bubbshjs Thu 05-Feb-15 19:07:14

Was looking at the bold curve on Amazon, but need the next size up I think, which I haven't seen yet.

StatisticallyChallenged Thu 05-Feb-15 19:11:04

Most Next are a nightmare but their lift, slim and shape are quite good - decent high rise on them and they pretty much work for me with about a 15" waist-hip difference. And huge thighs! The Levi's bold curve are good too, but try to scout out the mid rise rather than low rise ones.

Bubbshjs Thu 05-Feb-15 19:23:21

Thanks will check these specific ones out and didn't know Next had a different range of jeans now (abandoned going in there for trousers a long time ago when I gave up on ever getting anything to fit). I know what you mean though Sorrel as narrow bootlegs don't really look like bootlegs on me for the same reason.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: