Advanced search

What hair products do I need, to make me NOT look like Garth off Wayne's World?

(13 Posts)

My hair is long, I colour it at home. I use the deep conditioner that comes with the dye kits. I don't always condition my hair every wash but if I don't it's a knotted flyaway stretching and snapping mess. Although even when I do, it doesn't feel silky, heavy and manageable like it did in my teens it feels a bit dry, it's naturally straight but it's starting to sit awkwardly and bends in weird shapes and sticks out after I've been to bed.

I get loads of knots that try to form a huge ball at the back of my neck. (I think from all the static and rubbing against multiple layers of clothing, scarves, coats etc)

Is it the dye? The central heating? The cold weather? I don't know what to do with it any more and the product aisles baffle me, too much choice. What the heck do I need to control it and make it look groomed? I'm starting to look like Garth hmm

noddyholder Thu 05-Feb-15 14:53:35

Tresemme keratin mask is brilliant I did it yesterday as my hair was looking very knotty and dry and its transformed and only about a fiver. The tub will last at least a year!

GaryShitpeas Thu 05-Feb-15 14:58:02

Coconut oil

As an overnight conditioning treatment (wash out in morning)

And use a bit on the ends as a serum

I'm telling you it will transform your hair. You can thank me later wink

Purpleflamingos Thu 05-Feb-15 15:09:33

This is a leave in conditioner type serum.

Thanks. We have some of the Argan oil range (my dp has dry wiry hair) I wasn't that fussed on what the shampoo and conditioner did for my hair, although maybe the leave-in conditioner is better.

Coconut oil? I quite fancy that as I have dry shitty skin too so maybe it would be a dual purpose product.

The tresemme mask sounds good too as a treatment, I wonder if it's cheap at home bargains or somewhere? I know the big bottles of tresemme can be expensive.

GaryShitpeas Thu 05-Feb-15 21:57:34

Yes works on skin too

burnishedsilver Thu 05-Feb-15 22:11:38

Stop colouring it at home.

Coumarin Thu 05-Feb-15 22:29:15

That 'undone' look is very now dontcha know. Garth is bang on trend. Ish. grin

I love Phillip Kingsley Elasticizer. You can get a tube to try for £16. Used every 2 weeks, it will last. It works best on hair that's thick though I think but your description of how your hair used to feel makes me think yours is naturally thick.

Coumarin Thu 05-Feb-15 22:31:00

Also if you're dry generally, get done good oils into your diet. Take a fish oil and start mainlining avocados, nuts and seeds. It won't help the ends of your hair but your new growth will be healthier and your skin will improve.

Avocados? Ugh! Slimy green devil's testicles. But I'll take your advice on the rest! I'm quite run down at the moment, physically and mentally. Cold sores, cracked lips, dry skin, eczema, don't I sound delightful. hmm I don't drink enough any water, I probably don't eat enough fruit and veg, I've been eating crap the last few days, carb loading (come on period, get here already so I can stop being moody and spotty and eating loads of toast!)

Got to dye it at home, hairdresser charged £55 last time, that's about £50 more than I can afford to spend on my 'do unfortunately!

Coumarin Fri 06-Feb-15 14:26:50

I love avocados grin but yes there's plenty of other good things you can have instead. If it's not just your period making you feel rotten then lots of water, less sugar and more veg will definitely help you feel better. Boring but true.

I used to use a home colour and don't think it was any harsher than one at a salon. It made it shiny and swishy in fact.

Really hope you feel better soon. flowers

avagosling Fri 06-Feb-15 14:40:41

Try an egg mask, you might be lacking in protein. Also eat lots of oily fish. To put on hair, try argan oil overnight, it's brilliant, Fushi's is the best quality I've found

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now