Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

1990s hiphop party

(11 Posts)
winkywinkola Wed 04-Feb-15 21:50:45

So, we've been invited to this party in six weeks times and the theme is 1990s hiphop.

Gawd. I've not got a clue. What should I wear? Where can I get the stuff?

I'm already stressing about it.

Please help.

coffeetofunction Wed 04-Feb-15 22:02:36

Think HC hammer, will smith, Ali G...

I had a 90's themed party, it was amazing. Big shoulder pads, big curly hair, track suits, double denim & loud floral prints!!... Check out charity shops, eBay & google images to get some ideas wine

BallroomWithNoBalls Wed 04-Feb-15 22:06:41

I just google imaged '1990s hip hop fashion' and was greeted with quite a sight grin

I think it would be easy to recreate cheaply via Primark tbh, there's loads of that kind of thing around. I'd go to a charity shop and buy some men's jeans and hack them off to make denim shorts and belt them in, wear a baseball t shirt and cap, crazy hair and earrings, knee high socks and stompy boots or just bikers if you have them.

Enjoy! And post a pic grin

Fcukfifa Wed 04-Feb-15 22:07:41

When I think of 90s hiphop I picture a girl in baggy jeans, waistband of 'boxers' showing. A crop top and hair in lots of plaits with a bandana round head

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 04-Feb-15 22:08:55

Big fake fur coat Faith Evans style

Hobbes8 Wed 04-Feb-15 22:12:47

TLC used to stick condoms all over their clothes. That should be quite easy to recreate!

meglet Wed 04-Feb-15 22:14:04

salt 'n' pepa.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 04-Feb-15 22:25:38

Oooh yes, my era. Black silk bomber jacket, jumpsuit or crop top & leggings, big spiral curled hair, heavy gold chains, fila trainers, lippy. Job done.

chanie44 Wed 04-Feb-15 22:42:56

The song 'just be good to me' sums up the early 1990s for me. The singer wore;

Baggy t-shirt
Big gold medallion
Leggings
Trainers with the tongue pushed forward

I remember thing she was so cool.

Financeprincess Wed 04-Feb-15 22:43:08

Do the Neneh Cherry look. She was gorgeous. Cycling shorts (if you're brave), hoodie, big pendant in the shape of Africa, other styling as described by Tondelayo, above.

meglet Wed 04-Feb-15 23:23:30

90's hip hop was the era of ultra comfy clothes smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: