Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Inexpensive work wardrobe that isn't polyester - and lunch boxes!

(22 Posts)
kpdiscodancer Wed 04-Feb-15 13:31:20

Hi everyone
I am shortly going to be starting a new job in a corporate environment - the likes of which I have never worked in before and the last time I worked I was in maternity wear so things could have changed.
I need to buy myself a staple work wardrobe but it needs not to be too expensive whilst I suss out what to wear more regularly. I am losing weight so don't want to spend too much until I get slimmer but find that all affordable shirts are made from polyester and if I wear those, by the end of the day I smell! (Is it just me? I use a strong deodorant and lots of perfume!)
Any suggestions?!
Also the office is miles away from any local amenities and due to said diet I want to take my lunch with me rather than rely on the canteen. What do stylish women take their lunches in?! I don't really want a My Little Pony lunch box these days :-)
Many thanks for your help.

Passthecake30 Wed 04-Feb-15 19:09:21

lurking as all the polyester/chiffon shirts make me stink too....the smell won't even wash out!

I've seen a lot of ladies with "little brown bag"s , I don't know if stylish, but I want one!

Woozlebear Wed 04-Feb-15 19:15:57

Uniqlo is the cheapest place for cotton shirts. Or used to be anyway, haven't looked for a while. But generally smart fitted cotton ones are expensive.

If it's your style at all White Stuff are quite good sometimes for natural fibres and they do a small amount kg stuff designed for work. Not your typical corporate stuff but smart enough to pass.

Drives me potty. Dh can buy some wool trousers and smart cotton shirt for a fraction of what it would cost me.

Nolim Wed 04-Feb-15 19:22:47

Lock lock has some nice lunch boxes.

Chchchchanging Sat 07-Feb-15 21:12:15

I live in simple crepe dresses from topshop and whistles (sale)

Stillyummy Sat 07-Feb-15 21:16:07

If clothing starts to smell, wash it in napisan a few times. I usually go for natural fibers too, but Somtimes something catches my eye and I can't say no!

Pixa Sat 07-Feb-15 21:23:45

Jars containing salads seem to be the trend amongst my co-workers, I don't know how stylish they are but they seem to meet dietary requirements!

QuestionsaboutDS Sat 07-Feb-15 21:25:23

Viscose is a natural fibre - sort of - certainly more breathable than polyester if you can't find anything affordable in cotton. Ditto lyocell.

I find H&M worth a look for inexpensive cotton shirts if you dig through the piles of tat examples here.

And GAP is good as long as you never buy without at least a 30% off voucher (always another one available in a week or so).

Or look in charity shops.

LoblollyBoy Sat 07-Feb-15 21:26:14

No one is going to be at all bothered what your lunch is in, so focus on clothing. I have good work shirts from Zara,

herecomesthsun Sun 08-Feb-15 04:17:07

try tk maxx, some more varied options here

herecomesthsun Sun 08-Feb-15 04:21:24

look on zulily for ideas re lunch boxes

ForSaleChesterDraws Sun 08-Feb-15 07:00:30

I have always struggled with the nightmare that is polyester. I am not a blousey person and all other tops seem to be the dreaded polyester. I bought a suit yesterday in M&S and every item I picked up to go with it in store was polyester.

RingtheBells Sun 08-Feb-15 07:06:33

Boden has a white cotton shirt, LTSP for 20% off and free delivery and returns and they generally wash up nicely.

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Tops-T-shirts/Long-Sleeved-Tops/WA554-WHT/Womens-White-The-Shirt.html

Minshu Sun 08-Feb-15 08:31:26

I have found that viscose makes me smell as bad as polyester mix clothing hmm I bought some thin cotton silk mix jumpers from woolovers and pure cotton t-shirts from M&S. Not stylish, but less stinky in my sauna of an office. I can't wear shirts as I have boobs which cause gaping, and bravissimo / pepperberry are expensive yet pongily synthetic...

slug Sun 08-Feb-15 09:50:42

we have several of these. They are a good size for lunch and because of the seal, don't leak

trinitybleu Sun 08-Feb-15 11:06:11

I have a couple of these for lunches and have had a number of compliments. Nice size, roomy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LVUK4AY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1423393504&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=owl+lunch+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=51Knf55SgGL&ref=plSrch

leadrightfoot Sun 08-Feb-15 14:18:43

For lunch if you haven't got access to a fridge then small Tupperware box in small cold bag with ice block or two works well and cold bag has carry Handle.

For shirts I use jaeger nice cotton, from outlet usually.

WaxyBean Sun 08-Feb-15 16:10:35

I have a yumbox as do my kids!) for my lunch. Always attracts envious comments - though that might be the contents!

kpdiscodancer Mon 09-Feb-15 13:33:12

Just seen all these replies, hadn't checked all weekend.
I actually found some cotton shirts in M&S for £12.50 which I have bought for my first week whilst I look around some more. Am hoping they are simple but effective.
Will have a look at all your suggestions - thank you so much!

Lilymaid Mon 09-Feb-15 13:41:22

For lunch boxes, Google: "handbag style lunch bags"
For shirts all the men's shirt shops sell women's cotton shirts usually with many discounted or available cheaper in multi buys e.g. TM Lewin.

kpdiscodancer Mon 09-Feb-15 13:44:01

Oh and I know nobody will care what my lunch is in - it was more a way of getting it to the office in a separate bag from my handbag but didn't explain that very well! But I think I'll just use a box like these and hope it doesn't leak...

Plexie Mon 09-Feb-15 13:57:06

If it's 'shirt' blouses you're after then try looking at the sale page of Austin Reed. The prices get cheaper as they have fewer sizes left, but you can filter by size to see what they've still got in stock in your size. And if they have a Click & Collect outlet near you, you can do free delivery and returns via that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: