Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How to stop pixie hair looking frumpy

(7 Posts)
MyFancyPants Wed 04-Feb-15 09:29:24

I've just had my hair cropped, took a photo of Ginnifer Goodwin in for inspiration, but I can't help feeling it feels a bit frumpy and 1995ish! I've got the got2be powder stuff as recommended by my hairdresser and tons of other texturising stuff, but it still feels a bit dated.
Is this just a mental thing or can I actually do something?!

Petal02 Wed 04-Feb-15 09:56:37

I had my hair cut into a style just slightly longer than a pixie cut, back in June. I loved it, everyone else loved it, but I'm now growing it again (and thankfully it's growing really fast) because I decided I just didn't feel very feminine with short hair. Even though it really suits me short. I felt like I'd 'given in' to middle age (I'm 45) and got rid of my hair.

I've now got a nearly-collarbone-length layered bob, which is fab. I won't go much longer, but the layers are the thing that makes it work. It stops it being heavy around my face.

Sorry if that isn't much help, but that's how I felt - a bit frumpy and non feminine.

RedundantExpat Wed 04-Feb-15 09:59:16

I had to grow out mine as I am same age as pp and it is PAINFUL. On the other hand it also depends how if you are styled from the head down, I would think.

Petal02 Wed 04-Feb-15 10:04:10

Agree with RedundantExpat, that it does depend how you are styled from the head down, but even with very careful choices, I still felt less 'girly' without my hair.

OP, can we ask how old you are?

MyFancyPants Wed 04-Feb-15 10:07:02

I'm 32, I wear makeup everyday too, so I wasn't expecting to feel frumpy, but perhaps I need to think about the clothes I wear too!

Petal02 Wed 04-Feb-15 10:24:42

Yes, you might find that a few wardrobe changes are just what you need. I was about to say 'persevere' although I realise that once you've had it cut, you've actually no choice but to persevere!

Or you might find that, like me, a slighter softer, slightly longer style suits you more (or at least makes you feel better). But there's no way I'll ever go back to straight, heavy, past-the-shoulders length hair. So I don't regret having it cut, it was always going to an experimental 'project'.

I just assumed that short hair would automatically look modern and edgy, and whilst it does, it didn't feel very feminine, so it was a case of finding the balance.

This is where I'm at now, hair-wise:

coolspotters.com/actresses/chelsea-kane

Crazyzowhat Wed 04-Feb-15 12:47:47

I got mine done in december and love it ! . I still wear my usual feminine clothing and I also take time on my makeup

I use the got2be powder or some vo5 wax ( in a pink pot )

I'm 31 and still feel feminine with my pixie cut ( a la Michelle William ' s hair )

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: