Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Once a day sunscreen to wear under makeup on a ski holiday

(28 Posts)
Bubbshjs Tue 03-Feb-15 15:40:18

I have searched as I'm sure this must have been discussed before, but can't find anything. Unlike on a beach holiday, I like to wear a little make up when I'm skiing. Obviously I can't reapply a sunscreen during the day after I've put make-up on, so I'm looking for a good once-a-day sunscreen that soaks in well and doesn't leave my face feeling sticky etc, but still does the job as I burn reasonably easily.
In the past I've used Soltan and it's not bad, but I suspect there are better ones out there. I saw a lot of recommendations in general for Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch for wearing under make-up, but technically it needs reapplying after the usual 2 hours so not much use for a whole day skiing.
Thanks for any help smile

hellsbellsmelons Tue 03-Feb-15 15:57:02

You can google 'spf tinted moisturiser' that might be your best bet.
Blimey you must be good.
No way would I be able to wear make up with goggles and helmet and falling on my face and the mad cold frost and getting snow spray from people in front of me.
Waste of time IMHO.

PestoSnowissimos Tue 03-Feb-15 16:18:36

I use Piz Buin

1 day long

Picastyle Tue 03-Feb-15 16:36:01

Ultrasun is a well known once a day spf cream and has to go on clean bare skin. Moisturiser and Make up can go over the top.

I think there's also one called P50? Or something like that.

Shop Tue 03-Feb-15 16:40:09

Ultrasun face SPF30, it gives I think 8 hours or so cover. They do an spf50 one too but I found raft sticky & heavy.

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Tue 03-Feb-15 16:43:31

Surely if you burn you'd rather go without makeup??

I have a Clarins one which I use under makeup under normal circumstances, but it isn't robust enough to stand up to the cold/wet/movement of goggles and helmet and so on.

Nothing worse than a bright red nose with mascara dripping everywhere grin

Bubbshjs Tue 03-Feb-15 16:49:57

No expert here, but I don't tend to get face-fulls of snow either ;)
Thanks, I'll look at Ultrasun.
The current combo works from a non-burning perspective, but just leaves my face feeling sticky most of the day and makes the make-up difficult to apply.
And it's exactly because I don't want the red nose and dripping mascara look that I'm asking! ;)
Thanks again

iwantgin Tue 03-Feb-15 17:31:12

ultrasun I say. It doesn't feel gooey like regular suncreams.

i am pretty slack at using spf tbh but when I do, I would always choose ultrasun, or P20 as they are once a day and very effective.

velourvoyageur Tue 03-Feb-15 18:39:29

I love Ultrasun, wear it every day and it feels soo nice and soft on your skin. And doesn't give you spots! But it's bloody expensive for a little bottle.

Bubbshjs Tue 03-Feb-15 18:57:38

Sounds like Ultrasun is the one to try! Not sure 30SPF is high enough for skiing (especially on my nose!). Has anyone tried the anti pigment version - is that easier to use than the regular SPF50 as shop said that's a bit heavy/sticky?
Thanks

specialsubject Tue 03-Feb-15 20:58:35

way too risky. You WILL sweat off and rub off the sunscreen when skiing.

skiers wear goggles, hats and scarves. Your face will often be invisible but you need to protect the bits that do show.

remember that UV is coming at you from all angles when skiing, and you are at altitude.

please don't risk skin cancer for makeup.

Bunbaker Tue 03-Feb-15 21:02:59

I doubt that anyone would notice whether you were wearing make-up or not. I would make sunscreen a higher priority than make-up.

VarsityQueen Tue 03-Feb-15 21:26:30

Alpha H daily essential moisturiser is very effective but sinks in easily

Eastpoint Tue 03-Feb-15 21:29:14

Sun block reapplied every time you stop, mascara & eye make up worn under goggles. Once you've got your helmet & goggles on, plus a bandana thingy to keep your chin & mouth warm there isn't much scope for makeup.

Bunbaker Tue 03-Feb-15 21:35:39

Why would you want mascara and eye make up if you are wearing goggles?

CMOTDibbler Tue 03-Feb-15 21:41:01

I use La Roche Posay spf 50 tinted facial cream when I need sunblock and a look of makeup. Needs reapplying, but is v nice

Havingkittens Tue 03-Feb-15 21:46:52

Bit on the pricey side but Space NK stock a couple of spray mist Sun Protection (from SPF50-70) which I think work quite well sprayed over make up intermittently throughout the day. I'm not sure which are oil free (ie. don't react with make up. The Goldfaden MD gets pretty good reviews on other sites, although that one's only SPF30.

Eastpoint Tue 03-Feb-15 21:57:48

So when it's sunny & you're having lunch you don't look completely washed out in the one photo your family took of you.--although the chances are no one will take any pictures of you--

Eastpoint Tue 03-Feb-15 21:58:01

Strike out fail

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Tue 03-Feb-15 23:06:36

East - that is what sunglasses are for, surely?

grin

I was packing for our skiing holiday this weekend earlier, and had a little chuckle about this as I threw in my sunblock.

Enjoy your trip OP!

Tinofroses Tue 03-Feb-15 23:09:49

City block SPF 40 by clinque is good and really light.

Eliza22 Wed 04-Feb-15 08:20:58

Vichy do an spf50 BB Cream which is tinted. Very nice.

Bubbshjs Wed 04-Feb-15 09:59:33

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments - I knew the idea of make-up and ski holiday would raise a few eyebrows, but I must go on slightly different holidays to most I guess wink. As I go late in the season and don't ski very fast/hard (bit of a wimp here), sun rather than cold is the big factor. The vast majority of the time I'm in a helmet with sunglasses and no scarf etc round my face and not much sweating going on and yes, I'm vain, and I do like to look as good on my ski holiday as I do when I go out normally! I don't wear make-up on the beach or in the gym when I sweat loads, but skiing is different. I DO wear sunblock under make-up, so I promise I'm not risking skin cancer for make-up - haven't burnt on a ski holiday yet - just looking for a less sticky solution. And thanks Alibabs - you have a good trip too smile

violetbunny Wed 04-Feb-15 10:06:27

Have you thought of using a mineral sunscreen? I have one I purchased from Ebay, it has a built in brush and is SPF 30, it's tinted so just apply it over makeup. The brand is Colorescience Sunforgettable but I think there are a few other brands that make them.

violetbunny Wed 04-Feb-15 10:07:18

Sorry just to make that clear, it's a powder so goes on easily over makeup.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: