Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Does anyone remember when Next, Warehouse and Wallis were really good?

(46 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Mon 02-Feb-15 21:19:03

And just look at them now. Not much difference between any of them.

The Wallis Brothers used to buy the mock ups from the Parisian catwalks, and take them apart and copy them. Now it's polyester frumpsville.

Jeffrey Banks and Warehouse, how good was that? When is The BritishHigh street going to produce affordable good design ever again. They all look the same to me now

thehumanjam Mon 02-Feb-15 21:22:58

I loved NEXT for work clothes when I was a young thing they were very elegant now they are awful. Wallis was too old for me however I remember my sister shopping in there and looking good. I haven't been in Warehouse for a while that's a shame if they've gone the same way

Twinklestein Mon 02-Feb-15 21:24:30

I never remember Next being good, but Warehouse was really cool when it started back in the 80s.

I also remember Jigsaw and Whistles being good. Seems a long time ago now.

INeedSomeHelp Mon 02-Feb-15 21:28:19

My DSis and I were just talking about Wallis the other day. When we were in our early 20s it was one of our 'go to' places for going out outfits and smart coats. But now we both feel it's too old for us!

Thumbcat Mon 02-Feb-15 21:31:32

I have a couple of beautiful silk dresses bought in Warehouse years ago. Such good quality and always get compliments. I doubt either of them cost more than £50. There's no way I'd find anything like that in any of those shops now, and elsewhere they'd be £££. I started buying from Great Plains for a while but now they're all over priced polyester tat.

afghanda Mon 02-Feb-15 21:42:52

I have a memory of Next being very elegant way back in the 80s. I remember going in there with my mum while she was shopping for clothes and her sighing over all the beautifully cut things, but saying that she was too short for it all.

Andcake Mon 02-Feb-15 21:48:57

I used to love warehouse - next was always a bit frumpy for me but sadly I now buy the odd pair of work trousers their and feel really old :-(

nowitsenough Mon 02-Feb-15 22:15:09

I used to buy loads from wallis in my thirties, now I can never find anything I like there.

KatherinaMinola Mon 02-Feb-15 22:18:10

I have those two silk dresses too, Thumbcat - 2007? grin

I bought a similar (not as good quality) one in the Reiss sale for £99 recently.

KatherinaMinola Mon 02-Feb-15 22:19:12

I still like Warehouse though. Just wish the quality was what it used to be.

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Feb-15 22:20:46

I am still constantly dissappointed that Wallis, Warehouse and Next are no longer any good. I amnold enough to remember when they were, and always go in full of anticipation.

burnishedsilver Mon 02-Feb-15 22:31:49

Every were has gone polyester. It doesn't matter what your budget, it's getting increasingly difficult to find a decent fabric.

burnishedsilver Mon 02-Feb-15 22:32:29

everywhere, not every were!

lurkingfromhome Tue 03-Feb-15 10:14:42

I remember when the Next directory was launched (mid to late 80s, I think - I was a student) and it absolutely revolutionised catalogue shopping. They had swatches of the fabric used for all their clothes in the actual catalogue. It was just the coolest thing imaginable at the time. Yes, I am that sad.

Oh that has also reminded me of how Next used to have cafés in its stores. How random.

Hoppinggreen Tue 03-Feb-15 12:01:16

I also remember the first Next directories, real quality and fabric swatches.
They were tres posh!!
My mum still has a jacket from one f the first ones and it still looks good -20 years maybe?

CiderwithBuda Tue 03-Feb-15 12:07:23

I loved Wallis. Always found something in there. Can't believe it now when I have a look. Frumpy and appalling patterns. And I'm 50 and find lots of it too old for me.

I liked Next for work stuff in the 80s.

It's all cheap cheap cheap now. Quality not price.

INeedSomeHelp Tue 03-Feb-15 18:49:09

I remember the first Next directories too. I think when they first started it was all different stock to what was in the shop. And orders used to be delivered in black and red boxes with the items wrapped in tissue paper.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Tue 03-Feb-15 18:52:19

Next used to be wonderful. I still have a couple of really old vintage items upstairs from 15 years ago, real wool jumpers, thick t-shirts etc. They have really lasted (I do need to repair the jumper though). I go in now and it's just an expensive Primark selling items from cheap man made fabrics. I never did Wallis.

I don't know where to shop now sad

Rivercam Tue 03-Feb-15 18:56:58

The Next sale 15 years ago was worth going to - people looked forward t it and anti pared it. Several people I knew saved their money and bought the whole years clothing for the whole family on the first day of next sales.

Rivercam Tue 03-Feb-15 18:57:37

Anticipated, not anti pared

MessyHair9 Tue 03-Feb-15 19:00:34

I'm only now (in my forties) noticing things I like in Oasis.

Next was good when I was in my early 20s. Haven't bought much there recently, oh no I tell a lie, their waist enhancer slim (not skinny) jeans were a pleasant surprise. I might even buy another pair.

I don't like anything made out of that sweaty material. And nothing too patterned. I like a pattern around the edge, but I hate it if the whole garment is patterned.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 03-Feb-15 19:07:04

Actually had a quick whizz round local retail park earlier and was surprised by how much cotton was around in new look etc.

Next has the odd good pair of shoes and the children's skinny jeans are good. Their courier service is fab - shame more companies aren't so efficient.

But I don't buy clothes for me from there. And I too remember when warehouse used to do quite a lot of silk.

ministollen Tue 03-Feb-15 19:16:52

There was another thread today about River Island when the shops had lovely wooden fixtures and fittings and they played old fashioned music in the background.
I remember when Next opened in 1982, it was very classy and the clothes were good quality and were expensive compared to today's prices. I could only afford a couple of items each month from my wages and wore them to death.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Tue 03-Feb-15 19:17:39

I posted on this yesterday, but it seems to have got lost.

I also have some gorgeous (and now v old) silk dresses and tops from Warehouse. Now it's all polyester.

Smarterthantheaveragebeaver Tue 03-Feb-15 20:53:22

Next depresses me when I walk around - horrible polyester everywhre, and all the colours are grey, black, dusky pink and they absolutely awful patterns. I dont think Ive bought anything from there for about 20 years

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: