Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

So what's the best thing to rid feet of dry and hard skin?

(26 Posts)
saltedcaramelicious Mon 02-Feb-15 15:08:48

Electric scholl thing?
Ped egg?
Foot file?

Feet are suffering in the winter, so much dead/dry skin peeling off, yuck.

avagosling Mon 02-Feb-15 15:44:36

Ped egg is pretty good, and I also find that moisturizing with shea butter really helps to soften the skin

sansucre Mon 02-Feb-15 15:53:56

These past few winters I've suffered terribly with dry, cracked heels that seem to arrive out of nowhere. The only way I've managed to get rid of it is to soak my feet in a bowl of warm water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar for 30 minutes. After drying my feet carefully, I pumice my feet then apply a thick layer of vaseline and cover with socks over night. In the morning I use a foot file to slough off as much dry skin as possible then apply some dry foot cream by Scholl. After a few days of this routine my feet are in much better condition.

Currently it's just upkeep, so I pumice every other day and cover my feet with Vaseline/sleep with socks on every third day.

In the summer I get regular pedicures and the girl advised me to stay away from Ped Eggs. In fact, I didn't even need her to warn me off them as I cut my foot with one many moons ago!

Skivvywoman Mon 02-Feb-15 15:59:39

Soap and glory foot cream is fabby it's really softened my hard dry feet....roll on the warm weather smile

bobs123 Mon 02-Feb-15 16:01:19

in the evening before bed put a load of moisturiser on your feet - any will do, they put on a pair of thin socks, leave overnight, and voila!

RosyAuroch Mon 02-Feb-15 16:09:15

Leighton Denny Smooth Your Sole foot File is really good.

Really bad hard skin on heels can also be removed by having a soak in the bath and shaving off the softened skin with a normal (wet) razor.

Then a bit of shea butter to moisturise.

PecanSandy Mon 02-Feb-15 16:13:26

Footner! They are sort of plastic socks filled with magic gel. As someone said on one of the many threads about them here, you wear them for an hour, and a week later your foot falls off! Basically you shed your skin like a snake and are left with lovely soft feet. I even got the sensation back in my heels. They are fab.

Smarterthantheaveragebeaver Mon 02-Feb-15 16:13:27

Ive got one of the Scholl foot sander thingies - its amazing watching the dry skin coming off. I use the really coarse rollers for my feet.

I've also got some heel balm for my cracked heels and have started going over every part of my feet with a scrub and exfoliating gloves in the shower, then putting l'occitane shea butter foot stuff on and a pair of cotton socks before bed. Theyre staring to look presentable. My own fault as they never see the light of day normally, even in summer.

InfantHercules Mon 02-Feb-15 16:16:50

I will second Footner! You have to see it to believe it... I bought the brand version first time (£20 if I remember correctly), but have also used cheaper alternatives. Miraculous! And deffos do it in winter as you can't get your feet out in sandals or anything for about a week.

smoothieooo Mon 02-Feb-15 16:30:55

I also bought a version of Footner from Amazon (at around 6 quid) and it was marvellous. Great swathes of skin just came away but it takes around 2 weeks to have the full effect (and nothing happens at all for the first week or so). Probably best to do in winter too when your feet are mostly hidden from view!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 02-Feb-15 16:40:49

Newtons chiropody sponge then Flexitol heel balm. The chiropody sponge is only a couple of quid so much cheaper than Footner (which I'm a bit scared of anyway) and works much better than any of the foot file/foot grater contraptions IMO. To whoever recommended these on here - thank you. Hobbit feet no more.

TheSteveMilliband Mon 02-Feb-15 16:43:59

I second flexitol, does the job. Also tried cheapy footner - it was satisfying but I left it on for ages and still had loads of dry skin left. Could easily have repeated - maybe even twice.

Greyhound Mon 02-Feb-15 16:46:31

Pedipro - makes your feet feel really silly in just a few minutes.

Greyhound Mon 02-Feb-15 16:46:55

silky
grin

SirVixofVixHall Mon 02-Feb-15 17:02:59

this works foot cream from Victoria Health, really does leave feet much less cracked, I put it on before bed when my feet are dry. I imagine using a pedi thing or foot file first would give even better results but I don't have one.

nowitsenough Mon 02-Feb-15 17:22:30

Definitely Flexitol. My heels were really dry, cracked and horrid. Normal foot moisturiser wasn't helping. Two weeks using Flexitol and they are soft and look normal again.

iwantgin Mon 02-Feb-15 20:37:55

Newtons Chiropody sponge followed by CCS cream.

CCS

Butyou have to keep doing it regularly.

BathtimeFunkster Mon 02-Feb-15 20:44:33

I read about "silly" feet and thought "hmmm, that sounds great. Must mean they get very sensitive." grin

This thread has too many right answers.

How are we to choose?!

Coumarin Mon 02-Feb-15 20:53:08

Footner! Did it again last week and currently have super smooth feet with zero hard skin or dryness.

<preens>

Need to use a cream in between too so going to brave the stink of Flexitol.

ApocalypseNowt Mon 02-Feb-15 20:55:55

How strange....I was lying in the bath earlier thinking about how horrible and in need of something my feet were. I'm spoiled for choice now..!

Hamsolo Mon 02-Feb-15 21:04:02

Footner! I'm another convert. It was fab. Just don't puck!

Oldieandgoldie Mon 02-Feb-15 21:07:36

Flexibility Heel Balm/CCS Heel Balm, buy whichever is on 3 for 2 in Boots.
Easy; you should see a difference within a few days.

saltedcaramelicious Tue 03-Feb-15 19:35:40

I have heard about footner and may have to try!
Anyone know what the cheaper versions from amazon are called?

smoothieooo Wed 04-Feb-15 11:16:51

I think this was the one I used. Bargain!

Apologies if the link is a bit clonky!

InfantHercules Wed 04-Feb-15 12:51:33

Can't remember the brand name but yes my cheaper version of Footner was also from Amazon and cost about six quid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: