Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I've had a baby and I don't know what to wear

(10 Posts)
NowABitShapeless Sun 01-Feb-15 20:18:15

I have two DC, a 2 year old and a 5 month old. I used to be 5ft2 and a size 8, although I'm still 5ft 2 I'm now a size 12 in jeans and I have a big old wobbly mum tum, thighs and boobs that due to breastfeeding are now huge.

I feel bigger and wobbly and not only am I not liking it and trying to get used to it, I have no idea what to wear anymore! My waist has disappeared, my tummy just sticks out and I have no idea what it flattering.

I live in slim fit jeans and jumpers, or tunic dresses and Ugg boots.

How do I feel like I look good again? Clothes are so often too long anyway, now I have no idea what suits my new shape. What's suits short and wobbly but also practical for running around after DC? Help me!

Egog Sun 01-Feb-15 20:27:07

If anyone knows the answer to this, can you tell me too please?

I bet it costs loads and requires sucky-in pants though. grin

VenusRising Sun 01-Feb-15 21:02:17

Tbh, theresnt a lot that can cover a wobbly tummy besides tunics / dresses/ jeans/ leggings.

Pilates helped me get some semblance of a waist back.
Then walking 5 k a day helped firm me up all over again- lost my saddlebags after I stopped bf at nine months.
Do some weights for your arms, shoulders and back as well.

Regarding clothes, get some dance wear and move. You'll soon be back in your pre pregnancy shape and you can start thinking about style from there.

If you're in a rut, and don't want to wear tunics and dresses with tights/leggings and boots for the next few years, then get moving, get to a Pilates class and concentrate on getting fit, and getting your waist back and your core muscles strong.

Sorry there isn't some magic garment to suggest! Unless you want a corset

AHatAHatMyKingdomForAHat Sun 01-Feb-15 21:04:55

I researched this question a lot. Sadly, the answer is to be thinner and fitter again. Sorry. Lace up those running shoes and put down the doughnut. If you were an 8 before you can be an 8 again.

Hadron21 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:11:33

I like blouses and well fitting jeans. Not skinny but slim leg. A decent coat (practical try seasalt) and a big fabulous scarf.
Have a look at Mary Portas tops in the sale. They are well cut and drape over boobs and tummy.

StrangeGlue Sun 01-Feb-15 21:19:05

Hi op, ask an honest (blunt) friend this question as often we either think it's better or worse than it is. You need to know whether the bits of you you're worried about are 'bad' or just different. With that info you can then start to work out what to wear.

Start with more structures dresses maybe?

Check out the 'putting me together' blog especially 'wardrobe zero'

Hadron21 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:27:31

Very true strangeglue looking back at pictures I didn't look as bad as I thought! Tea dresses and wrap dresses are fab if you don't have to face the elements

Feathernest Sun 01-Feb-15 21:47:01

High waist jeans really helped me. Hold in a wobbly tummy and give you that bit of extra suport when nothing is fitting like it did before. They were my best discovery, helped me feel more like me again.

NowABitShapeless Sun 01-Feb-15 22:58:05

I wish I did eat doughnuts!

sillymillyb Sun 01-Feb-15 23:04:39

I am a similar shape to you but a size 14 rather than a 12.

I'm doing the shred every weekday (it's getting easier!) and have lost half a stone so far.

To celebrate I bought some new clothes - my favourite are some new look high waisted skinnies with a white shirt from warehouse that I either tuck in (but undo enough buttons that it feels sexy) or have tucked out with a jumper or blazer over the top.

I am no style guru and have totally lost my way too, but thought I'd share just in case it helped!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: