Advanced search

Spots! :-(

(25 Posts)
YourHandInMyHand Sun 01-Feb-15 19:09:18

Im 32, I shouldn't still be all spotty! sad

Tried everything over the years (antiBiotics, creams, lotions, different brands of cleanser ranges, etc) and I just don't know what else to try but hoping a MNer may have some ideas.

velourvoyageur Sun 01-Feb-15 19:56:16

Have you tried Avène triacnéal? I think it's amazing. A girl who had had really severe acne told me it was really good. I get some spots along my jawline, I thought they were hormonal so couldn't do anything about them, but the Avène stuff made a big difference.

CerealMom Sun 01-Feb-15 22:35:34

I ended up self referring to a dermatologist.

I had suffered for years with large cyst type spots on my chin, jawline, neck and then on my back. My gp kept prescribing different lotions and potions but nothing was having an affect.

The derm advised Roaccutane. I finish my course in about 3 weeks. Have been spot free since about 3 weeks into treatment.

If you can try and get a referral via your gp - it will be a lot cheaper!

DurhamDurham Sun 01-Feb-15 22:38:25

Cheap and cheerful aspirin facemask works for me.

Crush 4 dispersible aspirin up with. Few drops of water. Apply to clean dry face. Leave for five mins and then rinse off. I do this twice a week and it's made a huge difference. Intend to do it while I'm lying in a nice hot bath so as not to make a mess.

The aspirin cost a grand total of about 25p for a pack of 16.

YourHandInMyHand Mon 02-Feb-15 12:41:52

GP has said dermatologist wont prescribe roaccutane due to depression/anxiety.

Thanks will avene and aspirin, anything is worth a try!

avagosling Mon 02-Feb-15 15:52:42

Try agnus castus tincture, it's amazing for hormone balancing and getting rid of spots. Also the oil cleansing method and natural oils for putting the moisture back into the skin. I alternate between rosehip, tamanu, moringa and camellia oils

Skinheadmermaid Mon 02-Feb-15 20:15:14

You could be intolerant to something you are eating.
I know for a fact my skin is a mess right now because I spent last week stuffing my face with marshmallows and I don't normally eat sweets.

justjuanmorebeer Mon 02-Feb-15 21:08:49

Cereal would you mind sharing more about your experience with roaccutane with me? How long was your course? How many different appts and what happened at each appointment? dosage? pm me to not derail the op's thread? smile

Bluestocking Mon 02-Feb-15 21:14:29

I had been getting big lumpy spots on my jawline for years and was convinced they were hormonal. I cut out most carbs from my diet in October and have had a grand total of one of the horrors since then, which was a couple of days after I had lunch in a posh restaurant and couldn't resist a deep-fried artichoke. I have been reading around gluten intolerance and spots (google "gluten acne chin") and I'm pretty sure that having been fine with gluten for well over forty years, my system now doesn't deal with it very well. Might be worth a try?

JudyBlumeRocks Mon 02-Feb-15 21:20:24

I have depression, and have been prescribed multiple courses of roaccutane - they just made me fill out questionnaires a lot and kept an eye on me. So would definitely persevere with Derm referral if I were you. Roaccutane is life changing.

wasabipeanut Mon 02-Feb-15 21:29:59

Cetaphil sorted me out. In addition, if I feel a hormonal chin (or jawline) lump brewing I dab hibiscrub on with cotton wool & wipe off with a hot flannel. Stops the little bastards in their tracks.

This was a MN tip so I am still in debt to the posters recommending this approach! Interestingly though I did cut gluten right down in my diet in September following some ongoing stomach issues so I don't know if that's had an influence too. I do still eat some gluten (it's in bloody everything) but not bread, pasta, white flour etc.)

wasabipeanut Mon 02-Feb-15 21:34:37

Just looked up original thread. I did drastically cut down in gluten at almost exactly the same time as I started my Cetaphil routine so don't have a clue which it is that's improved my skin! Maybe it's both....

MostAmused Mon 02-Feb-15 21:40:20

Have you tried the Oil Cleansing Method? It didn't quite work for me but there's lots of stories online about how it's worked wonders so it's definitely worth looking into.

thereinmadnesslies Mon 02-Feb-15 21:45:56

I saw acnomel cream recommended on another thread like this. It's active ingredient is sulphur and it really dries out the skin. My acne- ridden back is so much better. I've did a course of roaccatane about 15yrs ago and it cleared my skin, but the acne came back after 5yrs. I don't think I would take it again cos the side effects were horrible.

monacgogo88 Tue 03-Feb-15 00:54:18

a lot of acne is caused by disruption to the skins barrier due to over use of harsh products and acne meds. Try giving your skin a break and use products that are gentle no SLS and a cream with ceramides for a month or two, you will get spots but it will allow the epidermis to heal and better perform its function of keeping bacteria at bay. Then if needed reintroduce something like a BHA toner once or twice a week couples with once or twice a week use of topical acne medications. Keep everything else gentle.

I battled acne for 20 years in reality my skin was fragile and unable to defend itself as the top layer was damaged.

Barrier repair is the next big thing is acne prevention and skincare you mark my words!

margaritasbythesea Tue 03-Feb-15 07:57:30

Stoping using 'beauty' style cleansers, toners and moisturisers worked for me. I use plain blue nivea or cetaphil to cleanse and use anti allergy sunblock (piz buin works for me). It was a revelation. Spot fre for the fist time in my adult life.

Damn you Simple!

margaritasbythesea Tue 03-Feb-15 08:00:03

Sory i also use oil (almond or rosehip) to moisturise at night.

YourHandInMyHand Tue 03-Feb-15 09:46:17

I already use hibiscrub and cetaphil, my GP recommended them to me. I think they do help but not enough. I may try just cleansing with cetaphil and cotton wool though as when I wash my face it does tend to feel quite dry and tight afterwards. Plain blue nivea is too harsh on my face, think it's the fragrance in it.

My skin is definitely too sensitive and fragile.

I think some of my spots are hormonal but I have a lovely mixture of whiteheads, black heads, and painful cystic ones. hmm

Tried oil cleansing a couple of years ago - it didn't help sadly.

margaritasbythesea Tue 03-Feb-15 21:53:41

I would try without water. It is better for me.

lurkingaround Tue 03-Feb-15 22:36:53

You have my sympathies OP.

But if you have spots at the age of 32, then I don't think they're going anywhere. I don't like to disagree with your GP but I will, and I think you should at least talk to a dermatologist and get their opinion. At the very least they will guide you as regards cleaning etc. and probably do a whole lot more than that. Like a PP said, roaccutane is transforming.

ArabellaStrange Tue 03-Feb-15 22:43:57

Having been diagnosed with pcos last year, I have finally, today, started taking Diannette, so yet to see if it works. I have been using duac gel over the past four/five weeks which seems to be helping but not enough!

YourHandInMyHand Tue 03-Feb-15 23:02:24

Thanks everyone who has commented, I've actually had a little cry today. It's a total first world problem but I'm just so down about it!

I think I am going to go to GP and plead to be referred to a dermatologist, and then plead with them for help.

iwantgin Wed 04-Feb-15 07:28:51

I agree that you need to see a dermatologist. Your GP should make a referral for you.

zippyswife Wed 04-Feb-15 07:57:35

I had horrendous hormonal spots for years. I finally went to my GPS who prescribed zineryt. I was spot free within days. Have not had a spot since-it's been a year. I'm still in shock. If this haven't tried it it's deformity worth a shot. Good luck

zippyswife Wed 04-Feb-15 08:00:18

Ha. Sorry that should read gp not GPS! And definitely not deformity! shock Good luck-it was really getting me down at the point that I went took the GP so I know how you feel x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now