When your bum is so big and round that the backs of skirts lift up...

(61 Posts)
LargeofBottom Sun 01-Feb-15 07:32:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LargeofBottom Sun 01-Feb-15 07:34:33

Eastpoint Sun 01-Feb-15 07:37:44

I think you get your own tv show and become incredibly rich.

Can you follow Kim Kardashian's less outlandish styles?

LargeofBottom Sun 01-Feb-15 07:52:51

Eastpoint Sun 01-Feb-15 08:02:44

I think less fabric, eg fitted is more flattering than gathered but skater/fit & flare are probably best. What about tube skirts? How do they look? I gather they ride up...

Tzibeleh Sun 01-Feb-15 08:21:05

I have a sticking-out bum, though not, I think, particularly large. Stretch is your friend: jersey, 5% lycra, etc. my best skirts are tailored jersey tubes (not too skinny) and slightly A-line with lycra. My best dresses have no defined waistline. So either that Jane Austen style where the 'waist' is right under the boobs (can't for the life of me remember what it's called), or princess seams, where the whole dress tailors to the body and flares out gently over the hips, or the fake wrap-and-gather on one hip style. Always with some stretch in the fabric. Even then it doesn't always sit quite right and I just have to keep trying on.

Trousers are a pain. The only ones I consistently find fit are M&S's cheapest jeans. Weird! But I really want other trousers, too. Hate trying trousers.

Armpitt Sun 01-Feb-15 08:26:52

Pencil skirts. Instead. I hate flared skirts tbh

Armpitt Sun 01-Feb-15 08:27:32

Surely flared skirts on a big bum make one look like a hippo in a tutu ?

LargeofBottom Sun 01-Feb-15 09:10:15

SorrelForbes Sun 01-Feb-15 09:23:15

I have an ample arse and I think that skater /fit and flare styles are the worse ones for making it look larger! Pencil skirts or A line are the way to go.

LargeofBottom Sun 01-Feb-15 10:12:35

Saurus72 Sun 01-Feb-15 10:36:48

If you're considering tube skirts, definitely try the Whistles ones. They are more expensive than others, but fab quality and they don't ride up when you walk.

Branleuse Sun 01-Feb-15 10:39:39

i just wear leggings and dresses, so if the skirt rides up at least ive got leggings on.
skirts always ride up, but dresses not so much

SorrelForbes Sun 01-Feb-15 10:40:25

Either a silk (type) t shirt or shirt style blouse or a round neck fine knit or cash emergency jumper. I like the tube skirt and ankle boot look too. I tend to wear A line skirts more in the Spring and Summer with wedges or loafers.

DarylDixonsDarlin Sun 01-Feb-15 10:42:51

I god yes I have this - I refer to it as my duck arse. I've been aware of it since I was a child and i was wearing a fluorescent green tube skirt and new kids on the block t shirt, and my friend pointed it out to me!

Behooven Sun 01-Feb-15 10:43:23

What's a "cash emergency jumper"
grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 01-Feb-15 11:14:53

"cash emergency" might be cashmere?

Quite a fitting Autocorrect eh?

"I've spent £190 on this cashmere jumper now I've got a cash emergency" wink

bringmejoy2015 Sun 01-Feb-15 11:40:35

lurkingaround Sun 01-Feb-15 11:46:05

My bum isn't sticky-out but is a bit big. Flared skirts are awful, as are fit and flare dresses. Less fabric is much better. Snorting at hippo in a tutu. I find pencil skirts difficult to buy, they can be a bit Kim K. I can do if they are the right shape (not too tight on the knee) and length. Fitted a-line is best.

And i have never found a denim skirt that looks good on me.

Skinheadmermaid Sun 01-Feb-15 11:46:52

I too have a big, round bum. I'm a size 10 on top and a 14 on the bottom.
I wear dark or black skinny jeans with plenty of stretch round them and a belt so the waist doesn't sag-i'm going to learn how to take in the waists as i'm fed up quite frankly.
Don't believe all the balls that pear shape women should drown themselves in flares and long tops.
I look half the size in tighter jeans and shorter tops! I do often size up in tops though so they're looser as it balances out the bottom half a bit more. Sheer blouses are good for this as they're drapey but see through, so it balances me out but you can see my almost flat stomach and smaller waist.
I go to the gym a lot and do a lot of squats and lunges to keep my bum big and round. Its the bloody upper thigh saddlebags that bother me! angry

bringmejoy2015 Sun 01-Feb-15 11:51:33

Apatite1 Sun 01-Feb-15 12:03:39

Bringmejoy, add me to your club. 5'1, size 12, massive knockers, small waist and a bum to make kardashian jealous. I'm a nightmare to dress.

I go for a line dresses, pencil skirts and nydj jeans. Not fit and flare as they drape down at my widest part!

I'm very big of ass and hip (and small of waist - 15" difference at the moment!) and I do wear a lot of full skirted stuff. Pencil/really fitted shapes can work from a bottom perspective and look great if I get it right, but they do need your body to be relatively smooth IYSWIM? I think that's why KK gets away with it - although she has big hips and bum she's not fat and has quite a smooth outline, I'm a bit too heavy just now and slightly lumpy and unless I wear spanx, really fitted stuff is tricky. And it's very hard to get them to actually fit anyway!

I think the trick with the flared shapes is to wear ones which are actually really full, so it's almost impossible to tell what's fabric and what's not. And not too short either, as that seems to make it look wider! I wear a fair number of almost fifties style, sort of circle skirt dresses where lots of fabric is part of the look so I think it looks less like I'm trying to hide something.

And no, I do not look like a hippo in a tutu

LargeofBottom Sun 01-Feb-15 13:40:46

Tzibeleh Sun 01-Feb-15 13:41:49

Definitely pencil skirt styles. They incorporate the bum into your overall curves, and make it less of a feature.

Loose and drapey just makes everything look big, and a strong visual waist makes big look bigger. But then I don't have much of a waist, so there's no contrast between bust-hips-waist for me. My mum, who has a tiny waist and generous endowment top front to balance her generous endowment at lower back, looks absolutely brilliant in 50s style waisted full skirts, but won't wear pencil skirts or princess line dresses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now