Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Are there any good style blogs for women of 50 plus?

(27 Posts)
spidergrey Sat 31-Jan-15 22:19:55

I've just hit <gulp> 50 and seem to have suddenly become interested in fashion/style again. I think it coincides with more time for myself and a bit more disposable income. But after years in the wilderness I could do with some inspiration. Are there any good blogs or websites please?

dexter73 Sat 31-Jan-15 22:37:04

This blog was linked to on the leather culottes thread and she is 47.

Greengardenpixie Sat 31-Jan-15 22:56:18

I think her clothes are nice..but they make her look way older! Im 47 and thought she was older than me!! She looks so much better when she is in her jeans [ and younger] The more formal wear seems to age her.

ZeroFunDame Sat 31-Jan-15 23:05:14

That's Not My Age

Consistently high quality and intelligent.

But any good style blog should be approachable at any age ...

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 31-Jan-15 23:08:36

I agree, Pixie. I think she looks a lot older than 47. Maybe it's the haircut? Some of the individual items are nice, but it's all a bit MP's wife/female MP overall.

ZeroFunDame Sat 31-Jan-15 23:12:27

The Northern Light is mostly excellent. The entire archive is worth browsing.

No idea what age it's "aimed" at.

ZeroFunDame Sat 31-Jan-15 23:20:02

The Line is a stupendous US website / shop that seems to excel in showing simple clothes put together to the best possible effect.

Most of the designers are European so it wouldn't make sense to order from this site - but it's great for visual inspiration.

ZeroFunDame Sat 31-Jan-15 23:32:12

And you will, of course, be keeping a close eye on Net-a-Porter, Browns, Matches, Acne Studios all of whose online shops are totally inspirational - whether or not you have any intention of ever buying from them.

Once you start looking you'll find loads of other sites as well and discover which are really tailored to your taste and pocket.

spidergrey Sun 01-Feb-15 13:03:03

Thank you for the suggestions, off for a browse.

CointreauVersial Sun 01-Feb-15 13:30:00

I love Midlife Chic; I think she looks classic and, well, chic.

GeorginaWorsley Sun 01-Feb-15 15:10:26

I read all the British 40 plus ones.
I like mid life chic and her outfits are accessible if a little Boden heavy.
she is more corporate than me however .
I like Bum 40 but her look is very scarves and layers, whilst I am aiming for a more Parisian chic approach grin.

GeorginaWorsley Sun 01-Feb-15 15:15:00

I think there is a gap in the British bloggers market for 50 plus women.
Mid life chic is good but very Boden centric.
Bum lady is too drapey and more late 30s looking than 50 imo
I'm 48 todaysmile and want a more pared down elegance without looking like a MP shockshock

GeorginaWorsley Sun 01-Feb-15 15:15:47

Sorry for double post blush

HarveySpecter Sun 01-Feb-15 17:26:06

Happy Birthday Georgina - now you're someone whose blog I would like to read smile

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 01-Feb-15 17:27:33

Happy birthday, GW. smile

ZeroFunDame Sun 01-Feb-15 17:47:45

Happy Birthday!cake

Grown up enough? (Safe to open!)

GeorginaWorsley Sun 01-Feb-15 17:56:15

Thank You for all Your birthday Greetings!
I love clothes and looking at clothes and talking about clothes and style but am not technically savvy enough to blog!

HarveySpecter Sun 01-Feb-15 19:04:47

Hmmm - not sure I can accept that excuse smile. Blogging is very easy these days though very time consuming. Go on - give it a whirl.

GeorginaWorsley Sun 01-Feb-15 19:28:53

I couldn't possibly cope with the publicity darlingwink
These bloggers seem to put their very lives up for grabs.

JuanPotatoTwo Fri 06-Feb-15 14:41:33

I've lost soo much time this week reading through these links. Thank you - I think smile

ZeroFunDame Fri 06-Feb-15 14:49:11

Oooh - what did you like?

(Have been secretly hoping the OP would come back declaring herself a changed* woman.)

*Amazingly my phone wrote "declaring herself a Chanel woman."

JuanPotatoTwo Fri 06-Feb-15 15:15:50

I pretty much enjoyed reading them all - good to see people supposedly in the know's take on fashion and style, especially when I know very little. Well, perhaps I know my own style (not that there's much of it!) but I definitely don't know much about fashion.

I liked The Northern Light a lot - she is what I could have looked like had I been taller, thinner and prettier smile Midlife Chic was a bit hit and miss I thought, sometimes she looked very formal which was aging, other times she looked lovely. I had a good look round the websites you recommended too Zero - I have spent thousands in my head!

Do you have any favourites?

ZeroFunDame Fri 06-Feb-15 16:48:59

Not a blog - but possibly the most fab clothes shop in England.

I also tend to waste spend far too much time online window-shopping, rather than reading about other people's freebies purchases.

The Zara website is surprisingly good for styling inspiration - if you click on the various non-shopping bits. Just a shame the quality of the clothes doesn't match the vision.

The Sartorialist blog however is still worth a few seconds of one's day. Always good to be reminded that human beings don't all have to look the same.

Bubbshjs Fri 06-Feb-15 18:28:51

Oh, these sound interesting. More surfing called for I think wink

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Fri 06-Feb-15 18:35:56

Interesting to read comments about midlife chic. I do follow her blog but I find her a bit smug, both in her comments and her appearance in the photos.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: