Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Glitter nail polish

(21 Posts)
princessamidala Sat 31-Jan-15 16:30:51

What is the best glitter nail polish you've come across?.

southeastastra Sat 31-Jan-15 16:34:23

deborah lippman ruby slippers

MaraThonbar Sat 31-Jan-15 22:16:28

What kind of glitter are you after?

Opi Rainbow Collection is a great multi coloured hex glitter in a clear base.

IHeartKingThistle Sat 31-Jan-15 22:27:17

I like the cheapie ones from elf! Not sure if they just do them at Christmas though.

Sunny67 Sat 31-Jan-15 22:30:33

Barry M, inexpensive and last wel,

FATEdestiny Sat 31-Jan-15 22:32:25

Glitter nail polish = bitch to get off

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 31-Jan-15 22:33:28

Noooooooo, utter horror to get off.

Skinheadmermaid Sat 31-Jan-15 22:40:16

Sally hansen nail varnish remover gets glitter polish off really easily.
I like Barry M glitter.

I like the ones with smaller bits best, you get a more solid effect. Rimmel have some nice ones. With bigger bit ones I tend to use them over a similar colour solid polish. They are a complete PITA to get off though.

Before Christmas I bought some MUA peelable basecoat for using with glitters, you can just peel the whole polish off but I've tried it several times and never managed more than 24 hours before at least one nail starts peeling by itself, the slightest chip and it's off. Oh and worst of all, solid colour goes through it and stains your nails. OK for a night out with glitters though.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 31-Jan-15 23:30:24

OPI Rainbow Connection . I painted it on one NYE then spent too much of NYD trying to remove it.
It came off a couple of nails in great lumps, I removed it (I can't wear polish at work) but what a faff, even with OPI remover and soaking cotton pads then leaving them on my nails.

I don't wear it now sad

Ems1812 Sat 31-Jan-15 23:35:39

Barry M do a fabulous one that makes your nails look like diamonds. I've got several of their glitters & they are the best I've found.

I also tend to put several coats on so that I can peel it off rather than spend hours scrubbing with remover (which makes DP cringe but I find it oddly satisfying hmm )

SoMuchForSubtlety Sat 31-Jan-15 23:36:15

If you want bling I think a proper holo is better. I have a lovely china glaze one. GOSH used to do an amazing one that they bring back as a limited edition from time to time which I always manage to miss

Talisin Sat 31-Jan-15 23:39:35

There's an Accessorize glitter varnish called Molten Copper. That. I've even bought jewellry just to match it.

AgentProvocateur Sat 31-Jan-15 23:57:42

Poundland ones are brilliant.

swooosh Sun 01-Feb-15 00:00:59

Removal tip: cut strips of cotton wool pads and tin foil, enough for each finger. Soak the cotton wool (or tissue or similar!) is nail polish removal and place on finger, I usually double it over them wrap finger tightly in tin foil (only needs to be top half not whole finger!) leave for 5 mins then pull off. grin makes glitter polish a joy.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 01-Feb-15 00:01:10

YY for pound land.

I find that cotton wool and foil thing a complete pain, takes ages to get them all on and they fall off if you move your hands. Scrubbing is easier.

annabanana19 Sun 01-Feb-15 09:09:14

Avon do a nice one.

Agree with PP a bitch to get off.

rosiepinkcheeks Sun 01-Feb-15 11:44:03

If you want a very very fine glitter I like Leighton Denny Angel Dust. It adds a subtle shimmer to nails. I use it as a top coat over coloured polish. I do really love the look of big and bold glitter polishes and have got a few bottles but I hate the way they feel on my nails and its a pain to take off.

OldRoan Sun 01-Feb-15 11:52:53

OPI have a peel-off base coat to make removing glitter polish easier, but I haven't tried it.

I love OPI Blush Hour, and Gainining Mole-Mentum has bigger chunks of glitter in, if you like that. TK Maxx normally has some good glitter polishes, including OPI ones.

I tried the Rimmel Precious Stones polish over Christmas. Online reviews said it chipped really easily - after 24 hours I had lost entire nails on some fingers and giant chips on others.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 01-Feb-15 12:47:24

I've just ordered the peelable base coat to try.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: