Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Please help me buy some trousers

(13 Posts)
Pointlessfan Sat 31-Jan-15 12:04:24

I have been trying on trousers for weeks with no joy. I need some smart enough for work buy I'm determined not to resort to boring black boot cut, I want something a bit more fashionable in charcoal, navy or maybe black.
I have no hips, skinny legs and a bit of a tummy. Size 10 fits the waist but is too baggy on my legs. An 8 looks fab on my legs but only just does up and leads to unattractive flesh splurging over the top.
Any suggestions for a style that would come up narrower on the legs please?

Pointlessfan Sun 01-Feb-15 21:57:23

Anyone??!!

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 01-Feb-15 22:01:11

Cigarette trousers? My favourite ones are from Cos.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 01-Feb-15 22:01:46

There is a lot of love for Gap Ones (I don't like them) and Banana Republic ones (have not tried them).

Pointlessfan Sun 01-Feb-15 22:11:51

I wondered about Gap. Would they be smart enough for work? (teacher)

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 01-Feb-15 22:12:45

Yes, I think so - but I find that the fabric attracts every bit of fluff for miles around.

LadyB49 Mon 02-Feb-15 00:36:57

Get what fits on bum, hips, thighs, legs, and have a dressmaker make them fit at the waist. They can work wonders. Can add a V insert at the back, often using fabric from a pocket. If no fabric available they will have something that will be 'near enough'

Pointlessfan Mon 02-Feb-15 06:54:26

That sounds good, I had thought of getting some that fit the waist and getting the legs altered but that suggestion sounds better.

BillStickersIsInnocent Mon 02-Feb-15 06:57:46

You sound a similar shape to me - I've had luck with Jigsaw, boden (bistro crops and trousers) and also Oasis.

Pointlessfan Mon 02-Feb-15 08:55:55

Thank you. The Oasis ones are a bit hippy for me, honestly I have boy's hips! I hadn't thought of Boden, will have a look later.

Pointlessfan Thu 05-Feb-15 11:48:13

Success! The Boden ones arrived yesterday and they fit. Thank you for your help.

BillStickersIsInnocent Thu 05-Feb-15 16:05:11

That's great! Which ones did you go for?

Pointlessfan Thu 05-Feb-15 18:58:19

I got the Bistro crop as you suggested, in navy. I might get the lighter colour in the summer. Thanks for the suggestion!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: