Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help! Please! Can demi permanent colours change tone of hair permanently?

(9 Posts)
HappyGirlNow Sat 31-Jan-15 09:24:14

I used to use Nice and Easy 20ish wash light ash brown dye occasionally on my hair but haven't used it for ages. However, my hair appears to have changed colour permanently! Whenever I see someone I haven't seen in a while they comment on my change of hair colour confused

I did have a subtle permanent colour but that was about a year ago and it can't be that as hair closer to the root is affected.

So I'm confused re 2 things:
1. Why does a Demi permanent colour appear to have permanently changed my hair? And
2. Why is the tone of my hair now reddish/coppery brown when all the dyes were light/medium ash browns which is meant to combat and remove red tones?

Help! I want to use an ash again as I hate the red tone but worried I'll just exacerbate the problem. Should I just try and stick with it until it grows out? Problem is it's mid length so would take a while to grow out..

Thanks flowers

HappyGirlNow Sat 31-Jan-15 10:43:46

Anyone? I have a night out tonight and hate my hair colour! Thinking about putting the semi-perm through it but don't want to exacerbate the issue if that's what's causing it...

UrsulaBuffay Sat 31-Jan-15 10:45:34

I think they have some bleaching to them which is why when you use colour b4 it goes orangey but I may be wrong

HappyGirlNow Sat 31-Jan-15 11:15:36

Thanks ursula - just seems to me that the thing that temporarily tones the red down is the thing that's actually causing it -'confused!! confused

TheBuskersDog Sat 31-Jan-15 11:52:30

If your talking about hair that had the dye on, then yes the current colour is the result, semis do not totally wash out and most contain hydrogen peroxide.

HappyGirlNow Sat 31-Jan-15 12:16:11

Thanks buskersdog - yes it must be from those semis, can't think of any other reason my hair's changed colour.. Ok so I won't put any more on, I'll just have to try to live with it as it grows out.. Annoying I really hate the tone.

HappyGirlNow Sat 31-Jan-15 12:17:03

I didn't think they could permanently change hair colour thus the name.. Meh..

Dumpylump Sat 31-Jan-15 12:24:59

Even though they say semi permanent, most of them do contain hydrogen peroxide, so once the colour element of them has washed out, then what you are left with is a permanent alteration to your own colour as a result of the bleach.
You could always try using a silver shampoo for a while (normally intended for blondes to stop brassiness) which might help get rid of the reddish tone.

HappyGirlNow Sat 31-Jan-15 14:27:06

Great thanks Dumpy - I'll try that.. I initially blamed the colour change on the sun (I holiday quite a lot) but it never happened with the sun before.. I'll get some of that shampoo.

Guess I'll just have to suffer it for now or continue to make it worse...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: