Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What can fix this massive flare up/breakout?

(16 Posts)
codandchipstwice Sat 31-Jan-15 07:25:17

I thought I had narrowed it down to Liz Earle causing red itchy spots and tons of tiny itchy pimples. It might however also be my new YSL foundation (but had used samples in the past without problems.

I have a big Boots today, what should I get to calm it down? Skin naturally v dry and dehydrated with redness anyway.

V grateful for any suggestions, even going make up free this weekend (shock horror) to try and sort

Henbur1702 Sat 31-Jan-15 07:31:53

Sounds like an allergy so Personally I'd stay free of anything until it's calmed down. But if your desperate because the spots are itchy then you could try taking an antihistamine and dobbing on some calamine at night time. Other than that leave well alone or you'll just anger it even more!

Apologies for first sentence, for some reason I can't get it to stop capitalising the 'p'.

Gunpowder Sat 31-Jan-15 07:39:45

I have sensitive skin and sometimes get a reaction like this.!Two things that have worked for me in the past are coconut oil and sudocream (on separate occasions). Didn't use any other products/makeup or even wash my face for a couple of days.

Gunpowder Sat 31-Jan-15 07:40:17

Sorry for rogue !

codandchipstwice Sat 31-Jan-15 07:51:44

Thanks. My skin is too dry to not use anything, do you reckon cetraben would be ok?

Toastandstrawberryjam Sat 31-Jan-15 07:59:03

I had something similar and carried on trying to find a product to sort it. Ended up at hospital with a allergic reaction needing steroid injections. You are allergic to something and if you keep on using a product with that in it will make it a lot worse.

Coconut oil put on and wiped off with warm cloth will calm it and moisturise. I had to use just that for a year as anything else would cause my skin to react. It sorted out my dry skin a treat.

Sudocrem will be great applied at night to the spots and piriton to calm the reaction.

InJillianWeTrust Sat 31-Jan-15 08:14:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

codandchipstwice Sat 31-Jan-15 11:42:10

Argh, just reacted really badly to cetraben, must be parabens. What can I put on my face now? Coconut oil has been no help

Toastandstrawberryjam Sat 31-Jan-15 11:45:30

Coconut oil will help but not immediately. Piriton is your best friend right now!

trappedinsuburbia Sat 31-Jan-15 12:10:25

Hemp oil is anti inflammatory and should calm down your skin you can buy it in Tescos in the oil section.

InJillianWeTrust Sat 31-Jan-15 12:11:24

InJillianWeTrust Sat 31-Jan-15 12:15:04

Siolence Sat 31-Jan-15 12:17:14

Might be phenoxyethanol

It's a fairly common allergy and is in lots of products.

InJillianWeTrust Sat 31-Jan-15 12:32:19

codandchipstwice Sat 31-Jan-15 15:25:34

Thanks all, I had been using hydrocortisone anyway but the ointment and that def didn't help, but have the cream, do will try that.

Don't feel bad though I know cetraben is normally fine, I am also taking double dose anti h so think I'm just really tired and allergic as happens sometimes.

I'll be so gutted if it's the foundation though, had been coveting for so long . .

Thanks again

RosyAuroch Sat 31-Jan-15 15:51:13

Oh, sorry about that. Had mystery flare up myself a few months ago- it was painful and confusing and distressing. So you have my sympathies.

Ice cubes wrapped in a plastic bag held over the itchy spots til the ice melted (i.e. one cube per spot) really helped. I think the cold just turns off the inflammation and so the itching/redness goes.

If coconut oil isn't helping, maybe try a little jojoba oil. It's very close to the skin's natural oils and is easily absorbed.

HTH

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: