Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I'm 40 and I just bought a pair of leather leggings

(17 Posts)
ScandiS Thu 29-Jan-15 17:22:16

And that's that.....

Just wonder whether I can carry it off? I am a pear shaped size 10. What shall I wear with them?

frankietwospots Thu 29-Jan-15 19:00:53

Fuck it, I'm 43 and I have about four pairs (OK, not real leather, but faux/pleather) so don't worry about the age side of things! What to wear with them? Well I tend to dress them down with a chunky loose knit (I have this one: www.newlook.com/shop/womens/knitwear/khaki-textured-bar-back-jumper-_324500034?productFind=search) and black ankle boots or charcoal grey Converse. In warmer weather, I'll wear them with a slouchy grey V neck t-shirt. I also have a pair of looser, high waisted faux leathers which I wear with a simple grey cashmere mix knit, a statement necklace and leopard heels for evening wear.

Other ideas - a denim shirt unbuttoned over a simple t-shirt or striped long sleeved top looks good.

This kind of shirt would work too: www.newlook.com/shop/womens/tops/khaki-long-sleeve-military-shirt_313576334?isRecent=true

See, easy!

ScandiS Thu 29-Jan-15 20:00:04

smile thank you SO much Frankie! Great ideas. And amazing with the links too.

The ones I bought are also not real. They were from Topshop.

OH is out tonight so I'm now going to do some online shopping for things to go with them.

Thanks again smile

GeorginaWorsley Thu 29-Jan-15 20:11:15

I have some coated skinniest from Warehouse that I love and I am about to be 48grin

I wear with black ankle boots and either a grey or ivory jumper.
I also wear with black leather Ash a like pumps and a cream and grey poncho type cardi from Mint Velvet.
I've also worn them with a taupe silk shirt that was very reminiscent of one Gillian Anderson wore in The Fallgrin

plasticbanana Thu 29-Jan-15 20:24:35

I just bought some real ones on Ebay and I'm 47. I'm also a pear shaped 10. They do appear to make things appear more, erm... rounded. Love them though.

Charitygirl1 Thu 29-Jan-15 20:29:54

I love mine with a silk shirt, or a textured jumper.

ScandiS Thu 29-Jan-15 20:43:48

Thank you so much all of you. I love the idea of wearing it with a silk shirt. I feel the need for a whole new wardrobe wink

MincePieDiet Thu 29-Jan-15 20:45:26

I bought my first pair at 40 they are fabulous and look and feel expensive. I feel great in them! I wear them with a cashmere v neck jumper or with a silk shirt.

BlueEyedWonder Thu 29-Jan-15 21:19:12

I'm 40 next year and have been wearing pleather leggings with chunky oversize jumpers.

anothernumberone Thu 29-Jan-15 21:21:27

DH bought me a pair for Christmas they are very comfy. I think I am too fat for them. He loves them on me. I am probably too old too but sure who cares?

frankietwospots Thu 29-Jan-15 21:21:32

Happy to help! I also have this shirt from Zara which looks lovely with pleather leggings:

www.zara.com/uk/en/sale/woman/stock-clearance/collection/shirt-with-pockets-c555514p2066551.html

The XS is actually pretty generous in size.

ScandiS Thu 29-Jan-15 21:25:47

That's also a fabulous shirt Frankietwospots.
I'm just wondering how the whole wider pear bum (mine) will look with shirts hanging over it?? I've always tried to avoid that as I think it makes me look wide all over ifswim??

frankietwospots Thu 29-Jan-15 21:33:33

Can't answer that - I'm a size 8 athletic type with no hips to speak of! But I would have thought that something softly draping over the bum with faux leather clad legs would look pretty good?

frankietwospots Thu 29-Jan-15 21:34:47

oh and I've just ordered this to wear with pleather leggings:

www.marksandspencer.com/tencel-denim-tunic/p/p22357274

Wellieswithaholein Fri 30-Jan-15 09:00:26

I have no hips either, so can't advise on that. I wear my ones with a long vest and a slightly shorter jumper or top over, like pic. Also a shirt like that Zara one up thread but mine is black I do like that shirt though.
Loads of ideas on Pinterest.

AmberNectarine Fri 30-Jan-15 09:39:44

I'm a size 8 but hourglass with plenty of hip to speak of! I wear mine with longer shirts and as long as they are well cut and define your waist to an extent it looks good.

ScandiS Sat 31-Jan-15 20:18:20

Thanks ladies. I have now purchased a white 'utility' type shirt and a beautiful short-sleeved top with a pale pinky / grey butterfly pattern. Both with no detailing (from Asda) and looking a lot more expensive than they were.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: