Advanced search

Could I have your opinions on this interview outfit?

(18 Posts)
Twuntosaur Thu 29-Jan-15 16:43:23

I have an interview soon for a tutoring position at a college. The last time I went for an interview for this kind of position I felt really overdressed. I wore black slim trousers, black blazer, loose white top & heels. Interviewer said "ooh, no need to have dressed up for us!"

So bearing that in mind, do you think the style in this photo (but with flats and a white shirt instead of blue) would be appropriate? Too casual?

DeanKoontz Thu 29-Jan-15 16:47:33

My first thought was that the cardi was too casual. Do you have a black one? The rest is fine though.

Better too smart than too casual.

Being honest, I'm not loving the cardigan!

Black trousers and white shirt would look smart, as would the blazer. Tbh the "dressed up" outfit sounds gorgeous AND appropriate. Do you have a pic of that?

UrchinMadeOfAcne Thu 29-Jan-15 16:51:16

Given the position you are going for, I would say that outfit is a good choice.

I work in a college and anything smarter would look out of place.

I like the blue shirt FWIW.

Do you have any chunky jewellery - maybe a necklace or a bracelet?

callamia Thu 29-Jan-15 16:52:23

I like the blue shirt. I love those trousers too. It's a great outfit. You look smart and approachable.

Twuntosaur Thu 29-Jan-15 16:53:24

Yeah, the cardigan was making me fret a bit! Not only do I not have a photo of the other outfit, I've also managed to lose my only smart black trousers! Argh.

I have dark blue chinos which won't go with my black blazer <frets>

Twuntosaur Thu 29-Jan-15 16:58:10

Thanks urchin smile That's reassuring. I will try it with some chunky jewellery.

callamia Thanks! It's not me in the photo unfortunately <sob> but I'm a similar shape with similar things in my wardrobe smile

Twuntosaur Thu 29-Jan-15 19:39:13

Ok, black trousers have been found and most definitely do not fit anymore shock
I have a choice of smart navy blue chinos, silky white shirt and either black blazer or grey cardigan. Wwyd?

GerbilsAteMyCat Thu 29-Jan-15 20:19:36

Grey cardigan!

Chottie Fri 30-Jan-15 04:27:44

Agree, grey cardigan and good luck with the interview smile

Notmeagain1 Fri 30-Jan-15 05:10:44

grey cardigan with the blue trousers as long as the white shirt isn't the silky "shiny" white, iykwim.

Good luck today with your interview! I'm sure you will be just fabulous.winkbrew

Athrawes Fri 30-Jan-15 05:21:33

I love it.

ChippingInLatteLover Fri 30-Jan-15 06:08:48

It looks great and perfect for the job you are interviewing for.

It does not impress anyone going in over dressed for a tutoring job. Dressing appropriately is a much better signal that you will fit into their team.

If you look anything like her I'm envy grin

Good luck!

Twuntosaur Tue 03-Feb-15 22:41:19

Thank you everyone! I went with the grey cardigan (can confirm shirt was soft-silky not shiny! smile ) And I got the job!

Thank you all! grin thanks

mortil2 Tue 03-Feb-15 23:06:36

Congratulations flowers

ChippingInLatteLover Tue 03-Feb-15 23:55:05

They're lucky to have you smile

UrchinMadeOfAcne Wed 04-Feb-15 06:27:38

Woo hoo! Congratulations to you!

burnishedsilver Wed 04-Feb-15 10:19:15

Well done smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now