Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

42 and look crap (hair especially)

(16 Posts)
SmileAndNod Thu 29-Jan-15 09:59:41

Have a hair appointment booked for tomorrow but I want to cancel a I look such a mess. I always had lovely thick dark hair. Lost a bit after dd so had it cut to a short Bob from just under bra strap length. Really liked it it was quite choppy.

Since having dd2 its falling out in handfuls and thinning a lot. I may be heading towards the menopause but my hair and skin just aren't behaving. I look and feel a mess - frumpy, dowdy, grey.

I'm booked in for tomorrow but I'm thinking what is the point - my hair just hangs these days and feels limp. The cut just doesn't seem to work there is no messy choppy look anymore. There's no oomph and the general thickness has gone. I think my hairdresser has given up as I'm never happy with the end result - she has been cutting my hair for years and does her best. I'm also v grey and cover the roots myself as I can't afford the upkeep at a salon but they suggested that it may be this not helping my hair.

Do i cancel the appointment and dither longer over what to do with it? I'd love my old hair backsad and look vaguely ok again. Everyone else looks so glamblush

LaCerbiatta Thu 29-Jan-15 10:51:12

Your hair may be lacking protein. There was a thread about it yesterday, I'll see if I can find it.

I sympathyse - I'm 41 and my hair is dry limp and dull. No amount of coconut oil, masks or conditioners is making it right again.

I also colour it at home but i use salon dyes which at least are more efficient and look more natural. I also worry that they're buggering my hair, but I'm not ready to go grey just yet...

My plan at the moment is to get some of those protein treatments and also some kerastase conditioner, in my experience no other is as good.

LaCerbiatta Thu 29-Jan-15 10:53:10

Brittle hair thread

HappyGoLuckyGirl Thu 29-Jan-15 10:54:27

I've just ordered an eye-wateringly expensive bar of soap that is supposed to be very good for thinning hair, especially hair that is falling out. I'm expecting it in a couple of days, I can let you know how it goes if you like?

Taoist Soap

flowers for you both. I'm only 23 and have the hair of an old woman. sad

funnyface31 Thu 29-Jan-15 10:54:33

If your hair is falling out then you might need to get your iron levels checked. My sister was the same and she found out the cause was anaemia.

SmileAndNod Thu 29-Jan-15 12:02:17

Should have added that I've had all my levels checked, iron is on low side of normal but the Dr wasn't concerned - just said I was stressed and exhausted.
I'm taking silica supplements (and multi vit and spatone) switched to an argan oil shampoo but not really helping.

Would a good cut help? What styles are good for rubbish hair? !

Almostfifty Thu 29-Jan-15 12:11:08

I'd still go. I'd go short for a while, if it's falling out, it'll help if you're not spending time blow drying it.

I'd also start using a semi-permanent rather than a permanent colour on your hair, as they have a lot of conditioning in them to help make your hair less dry.

lcooper Thu 29-Jan-15 12:27:29

Have you ever tried oiling your hair? Massaging the scalp encourages blood flow which then nourishes the scalp and really helps with hair growth and thickness. I personally have seen it help me. I am a big believer in oils and used the Really Good Hair oil. Also hormone balance is importance, nutrition and general diet. Stress plays a big part too. I don't think just some expensive product used externally will be the answer. A holistic approach to general health, managing stress, head massage and good supplements should help I am sure!

Ujjayi Thu 29-Jan-15 12:30:33

Applying protein conditioners, masks etc can help but you also need to pay attention to diet. I have found that my hair has greatly improved since increasing the protein in my diet and eating a good source of iron rich foods. Even though you aren't clinically deficient in iron, a healthy diet can work wonders. Also exercise - gets the blood pumping and therefore feeds the tissues of the body which gives us that healthy glow.

Argan Oil shampoos can be quite heavy IME so using them on thinning hair sounds like a recipe for disaster. I use Kerastase Bain De Force shampoo & conditioner which thickens up my hair but doesn't leave it feeling coated or "claggy".

Castor oil also helped my hair revive. Apply just a few drops all over the hair and scalp once a week, leave overnight and wash off the next day. It is quite thick and sticky so a little goes a very long way.

SmileAndNod Thu 29-Jan-15 14:03:08

Have not tried oils, so I may give that a go. I do find the argan shampoo quite heavy and like my hair is coated and every few washes go back to the Aussie shampoo to make it feel clean again.

I try hard with my diet, don't tend to live on junk (though I probably have more cake than is good for me). I'd say overall my diet was balanced. I have a bit of everything, every day.

I've not cancelled the appointment. But I hope I'm not going to leave feeling disappointed again

Almostfifty Fri 30-Jan-15 20:00:55

How's it looking now?

ChlorinePerfume Fri 30-Jan-15 21:48:25

A hairdresser once told me that kerastase is exacle the same stuff as Lorreal, that the only difference is the perfume in it!? Not sure how true it is but I have not bought kerastase since. I home colour my hair every 6 weeks after getting it cut at the hairdresser. I think the key to good colour is to condition the hair. I use Argan oil once a week before washing (leave it to soak in for 5/10 minutes). Also like the Aussie range. Usually 3 for £10, bargain :-) I'm not sure but I think there Aussie do a range a unhappy & limp hair. I think it is just a case of finding the products that work for your hair to be honest... hope you find something that works for you soon.

FrugalFashionista Sat 31-Jan-15 09:45:01

I'm 42. I noticed my hair was thinning a lot (a stressful year) and falling out in big clumps when I washed. I have now taken a vitamin supplement (biotin + methionine) for a month in addition to my regular daily multivitamin. I've also eaten more nuts and avocados. Now when I wash my hair, no more falling out. And I feel better. My iron balance is great and am on thyroid medication too so that was not it. Worth a try? Warning, methionine smells like boiled cabbage and I was initially skeptical but will probably continue taking extra vitamins until spring.

WomanScorned Sat 31-Jan-15 10:07:24

Hi, I'm 45 and was losing handfuls of hair - and it was everywhere, beds, plug holes, washing machine, stair carpet!
So, I've gone back to henna, which I used in my youth. And my hair looks so much thicker and healthier. It coats each strand, rather than penetrating it. I've also just ordered some cassia obovata (or neutral henna), which I understand is a great, natural conditioner.
I am considering having it cut shorter, though. Did you do it, op?

SmileAndNod Sat 31-Jan-15 14:26:02

I didn't go to the hairdresser - I cancelledblush. At the minute my hair is still about an inch above my collarbone. Not sure how much shorter I could go really.

However when I phoned to cancel I spoke to my hairdresser who was quite lovely and said not to worry too much - everything is crap in January - and to book a bit of extra time next time so we can go through the hair problems and we can work out what to do from there. I'm hoping to be able to re arrange for next week if I can get childcare.

I remember using henna in my youth - in a big pink pot from boots I think. I will look out for that vitamin as I too am fed up of constantly hoovering up after my hairshock

AddToBasket Sat 31-Jan-15 19:35:01

Do you take a skin & hair supplement? They do make a difference quite quickly. At the moment I'm having a pint of Berroca everyday and that sort of does the same thing. When I'm taking supplements my nails get so much better too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: