Advanced search

35 going on 65, need serious style help!

(15 Posts)
allmixedup79 Wed 28-Jan-15 21:24:13

Ok, I need help! Im 35, 5ft 6 inches, 9 stone and roughly a size 8/10.

I live in my work clothes (black trousers) I hang my head in shame!!

I think I would like skinny black/charcoal jeans or leggings with boots but don't know what matches/to wear together.

I also like the look of tunic dresses but again don't know what to wear it with?

Any ideas how I can restyle myself, gently and on a budget?

Fairylea Wed 28-Jan-15 21:27:00

I can only speak from my own experience because I am on a very tight budget but I am 34 and love primark high waisted skinny jeans and I buy a lot of their slouchy jumpers in at least 3 sizes bigger than I am so they hang well. I love new look for basic long sleeved tops and vest tops for layering and schuh have some nice biker type boots in their sale at the moment (personally I am wearing cherry red doc martens but I know they're not for everyone! )

frankietwospots Wed 28-Jan-15 21:31:22

With a figure like yours, you can wear anything. I always recommend using Pinterest for ideas. Create a board of looks you like and take it from there. I buy my skinny jeans from New Look and Sainsburys (the 98% cotton, 2% elastane ones - no polyester). Uniqlo is great for basics. Tunic dresses are probably best worn with opaque tights (try Matalan for 100 denier +) and chunky boots.

allmixedup79 Wed 28-Jan-15 21:36:14

Thank you both, I have realised I had no idea where to start! I have been seeing what other mums are wearing to schools and been getting ideas, im going to do an online shop and see how I look.

I guess over the years I have lost confidence and it has severely affected me to the point I have not changed my hair/clothes for the last 15 years!!

ZeroFunDame Wed 28-Jan-15 21:38:39

Don't quite understand which part of your OP relates to going on 65 hmm.

allmixedup79 Wed 28-Jan-15 21:44:25

Sorry I mean the clothes I wear, black work trousers! Frumpy and no style.

Lagoonablue Wed 28-Jan-15 21:47:22

Being 65 doesn't mean you can't be stylish you know!

ZeroFunDame Wed 28-Jan-15 21:50:49

Why do you mean that OP?

Have you genuinely never met or seen a stylish 65 year old?

And are you assuming that no one of 65 is on MN?

allmixedup79 Wed 28-Jan-15 22:08:02

Sorry if I have caused offence, I am stating that as a 35 yr old I perhaps dress older that my years!

In fact probably some 65 yr olds are better dressed than me.

But im looking for some help, which is always a good way to start.

yeastextractpowder Wed 28-Jan-15 22:22:11

Second Pinterest. Just type in a few searches and look through for ideas or looks that appeal. Then scour these boards for good stockists! There's usually some revenant threads for getting the right bra, the right jeans, new tops, new work outfits.
Here's a quick Pinterest search to get you going.

judydoes Wed 28-Jan-15 22:30:53

My Mother is over 65 and very stylish a lot more so than me!

I'd start with new trouser shapes. Black trousers can be stylish, go for some a little more flarey or with interesting button details.

Seconding pinterest, some great ideas on there.

I'd go to Primark or another cheap shop and pick up lots of stuff you would never usually wear but like the look of, and just try it all on. You'll find some that work and some that won't but you won't have wasted much money even if you 'go off' things.

If you normally wear black trousers and a top of some certain shape-go for the same shape in a funky bright colour or with interesting detail, slowly making yourself a little more stylish without out of your comfort zone.

allmixedup79 Wed 28-Jan-15 22:32:10

yeastextractpowder ~ Thank you so much, have had a quick look, and will enjoy researching further.

Thank you x

Coconutty Wed 28-Jan-15 22:36:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

clutterfly Wed 28-Jan-15 22:41:34

Get rid of the black is my advice! Consider navy, grey, olive instead and just try softening everything up. Some people look fabulous in black but I personally find it drains me and makes me feel heavy and frumpy (and I'm a slim person). Zara is a good starting place for stylish, affordable staples. Good luck.

allmixedup79 Thu 29-Jan-15 17:06:50

Ok, I have made my first purchase, they are long black boots, but as my legs are a bit twiggy the are big on my legs, hope that will be ok, but I like them.

Next purchase is some trousers, thick tights and tunics!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now