Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Urgent! Can I wear jeans for a work meeting?

(31 Posts)
CambridgeBlue Tue 27-Jan-15 22:07:29

I work in a creative role so generally dress very casually but I have occasional meetings with clients or people we're working with when I need to look a bit smarter.

I've got one tomorrow and nothing in my wardrobe seems suitable - I am crap at being smart anyway but this time of year is a nightmare. When it's warmer I wear slim black trousers with flats or low heels but that look just doesn't work with boots which I need for warmth and practicality (fair bit of walking involved). I look incredibly frumpy (that word!) and just don't feel right.

I've narrowed what I've got down to a nice silky top, chunky ankle boots and very dark skinny jeans which I'd wear with a tailored coat if cold or a trench if milder. I'm aiming for a stylish, smart casual, creative sort of look. Do you think I can get away with this or does wearing jeans, even smart ones, look disrespectful or too casual? I'm new to the job and going with a senior colleague so it's really important I get this right - clearly should have sorted an outfit sooner sad.

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 27-Jan-15 22:10:06

I don't know the sector but I wouldn't wear jeans to a formal meeting, no (I'd have to shiver instead)

OneHandFlapping Tue 27-Jan-15 22:10:51

Definitely not jeans, unless it's eg on a building site. I think you need to go with the black trousers and flats - or the ankle boots if you can fit the tops underneath the trousers.

frankietwospots Tue 27-Jan-15 22:12:16

I'm wearing dark wideleg jeans to a meeting tomorrow in London. I'm pairing them with a simple grey knit and a very eye-catching statement necklace which draws the eye upwards, plus a boucle jacket over the top. I think if the rest of the outfit is smart - and yours sounds like it is - then dark denim is fine. It's not like you're rocking up in distressed boyfriend jeans or anything!

BallroomWithNoBalls Tue 27-Jan-15 22:12:56

I think no, sorry! Do you not have any short dresses you can wear with thick tights and boots? Jeans are just immediately noticeable as casual wear - I work in a creative field and wouldn't wear jeans to any kind of a formal meeting.

Or could you wear your slim trousers and shoes, and wear boots for the walking about? Stick smart shoes in your bag?

frankietwospots Tue 27-Jan-15 22:13:04

oh and I'm in a vaguely creative industry too.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 27-Jan-15 22:13:09

Who is the meeting with? I am a project manager in the voluntary sector and jeans are sometimes ok!

MuttonCadet Tue 27-Jan-15 22:14:31

Dark denim is fine, particularly with smarter top.

Most place are business causal now, my staple wardrobe is dark skinny jeans, silk shirt and fitted jacket.

MuttonCadet Tue 27-Jan-15 22:15:23

And I'm not in a creative field, I'm in finance.

Cupcakes123 Tue 27-Jan-15 22:18:11

I would wear smart dark jeans to a meeting. It think it's ok....

DevaDiva Tue 27-Jan-15 22:18:34

Absolutely fine as long as they are clean and pressed. I'm a Marketing Manager in a very creative sector and our offices are bloody freezing so tbh if you're clean and wrinkle free that's not a problem!

mooth Tue 27-Jan-15 22:20:47

I would not wear jeans to a meeting. They're casual wear. I just wouldn't feel right wearing them!

CambridgeBlue Tue 27-Jan-15 22:22:03

My head's telling me jeans are not a great idea but honestly, everything else looks awful - doesn't help that I have put on a few tons pounds lately sad.

The meeting is with a company we're working with, not a client exactly but someone I don't want to get it wrong in front of.

I find it so hard especially as we're not in London but my meetings usually are - people there generally seem to dress in quite a young and funky way (not sure if jeans are involved though) and I always feel like a frumpy old bag in contrast sad.

SwedishEdith Tue 27-Jan-15 22:27:10

What would do you wear in the office when not wearing jeans? I wouldn't, not for a new job when you're not sure of what's ok yet.

CambridgeBlue Tue 27-Jan-15 22:32:42

I pretty much always wear jeans for work! It's a very casual environment - even the bosses wear hoodies and trainers. The work can be quite hands on so there's no sense wearing anything special.

SwedishEdith Tue 27-Jan-15 22:38:22

What's the weather forecast for tomorrow? Could you make some small talk at the start of your interview about reading that it was going to snow so had to dress with that in mind? grin Can you not check with your colleague? Maybe a bit late now though. You'll be ok - you're not going to lose the contract just because you're wearing jeans.

CambridgeBlue Tue 27-Jan-15 22:43:23

I think it's going to be chilly but not sure. I'm going to bed now so will have to make a snap decision in the morning - dull and safe or daring in denim smile.

PS Colleague's a bloke, so much easier for them...

sleepdodger Tue 27-Jan-15 22:45:14

I would wear super smart denim with crisp white shirt, good or statement jewellery and a sharp blazer

frankietwospots Tue 27-Jan-15 22:53:36

The other thing to remember is that you will most likely be sitting down during the meeting so your top half will be more noticeable than your bottom half!

VanitasVanitatum Tue 27-Jan-15 22:53:54

This would be an absolute no where I work, I think it's very dependent on your field and on the vibe of your company. Do other people wear jeans? Have you ever seen anyone senior to you in jeans, particularly in a client situation?

I would always just brave the cold and go with the trousers/flats in this situation, if you're unsure play safe. As long as your clothes are smart it's more important to not give a bad impression than to look your absolute best - as in wearing the most flattering thing is not the top priority.

Skinheadmermaid Tue 27-Jan-15 23:06:51

I say yes if they're very dark wash.

SophieLeGiraffe Tue 27-Jan-15 23:07:10

I think it's totally fine, especially since you are in creative industry. I've been in meetings where some of the men are in band t shirts, jeans and converse and I'vw felt really overdressed in my smart casual dress!

InJillianWeTrust Tue 27-Jan-15 23:19:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flipchart Tue 27-Jan-15 23:30:03

Clearly you know what is acceptable or not.

In my job, I happily go to a multi agency meeting in jeans but so does everyone else! I work in a disability team. I wear my scruffy clothes to work and have smarter stuff for out of work hours!

Fizziebizzie1 Tue 27-Jan-15 23:31:01

If you are in the creative sector but are meeting with clients who aren't, I would say no to the jeans.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: