Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What's the best bra to wear under my wedding dress?

(20 Posts)
artylady14 Tue 27-Jan-15 05:05:26

Ah, I'm getting married in a couple of weeks! I have a nude, under wired bra to wear but am having second thoughts about it. I need to get one this week before my dress fitting at the weekend. I'm a 32ff which makes things tricky in terms of shopping. What can you recommend ?

hollyangel Tue 27-Jan-15 05:14:29

Definitely this one

m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_152010108886_-1

It's the one I wore and is the best strapless bra on the market, in my opinion.

Go in and have a try of it, see if you like it!

Nextwednesday Tue 27-Jan-15 07:39:10

I couldn't wear one with my dress because of lace detail at the back. But the dress was so structured I didn't need one (biggish boobs here.)

StatisticallyChallenged Tue 27-Jan-15 09:46:18

The wonderbra ultimate strapless linked above is excellent - you will probably need to try a few sizes in it as the sizing is a bit funky, but it's worth the effort - you might want to try a 34 band too as it can run snug

Other strapless in your size with good reps are the Curvy Kate Luxe and the Freya Deco Strapless

SinglePringle Tue 27-Jan-15 09:50:33

What style do you need - there's an assumption here your need strapless but maybe you've got a dress with sleeves?

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Tue 27-Jan-15 10:11:17

Can you link your dress? <nosey>

curlingandtwirling Tue 27-Jan-15 10:32:33

I bought a gorgeous strapless one, plus all the matching bits, never wore it! The dress held me in and I felt more comfortable without one.

artylady14 Tue 27-Jan-15 11:48:32

Oh, I dont have a photo/link to my dress but it does have sleeves so I dont need strapless, thank goodness. I never feel comfy in strapless bras because of all my boobage.!

Pixa Tue 27-Jan-15 11:50:57

Another vote for the wonderbra! I know one lady who has a very large chest and she has switched to those bras for daily use because they're so comfortable. smile

JaniceJoplin Tue 27-Jan-15 11:55:10

Just don't do what I did and allow the ladies at the bridal shop to persuade me that one was not required with my dress...I am also a 32g. bad mistake felt uncomfortable all day and decidedly floppy sad

StatisticallyChallenged Tue 27-Jan-15 12:18:26

A lot of bridal dresses use plastic boning, which can look great at first but then, especially if your breasts are heavy-ish, it starts to bend and buckle during the day (especially when you sit down) and becomes a tit shelf! Slightly less of an issue if you have sleeves but not great!

OP, what is the neckline like? Is it quite square, sweetheart, v neck etc (helps with bra recs!) Do you know what sort of shape your breasts are (are they fuller on top or bottom, how far towards/under your armpits do the roots come, how close together are they in the centre?)

artylady14 Tue 27-Jan-15 12:24:58

My dress has boning. The neckline was very plunging v neck but I have had a little upsidedown triangle added in my cleavage - so it sort of is a vneck which tapers down to a little straight line area just above my boobs. Hard to explain. Im having sleeves added at the moment - loose, bell shaped chignon like the dress. My boobs are fuller at the bottom and quite near my armpits at the root.

Crazy8 Tue 27-Jan-15 12:31:47

I have just read this thread as I'm always in the hunt for a comfortable bra. Statistically challenged I have got to the ripe old age of 40ahem and though I was the only one who had boobs that started so close to my armpit. I didn't realise it was a thing. I actually thought I had a problem.
I'm so jealous of people who I perceive to have normal boobs and all the stars at the recent awards ceremonies always have perfect boobs.
Sorry. I didn't mean to write anything but I actually feel better.

StatisticallyChallenged Tue 27-Jan-15 12:39:05

Have you tried the Bravissimo Satine at all? It's not particularly fancy or bridal, but it's a good plunge shape and tends to suite wider, bottom heavy breasts quite well. [http://www.bravissimo.com/products/lingerie/sensational-sets/satine-bra/ivory/au15iv/ satine]]

It's sold out on this site although I'm sure it will be in stock else where, but the Fauve rosa is cut based on the Freya Deco, so might suit. The bra itself isn't that exciting but I thought it worth mentioning as it comes with quite nice suspenders/pants

The masquerade Tiffany also comes with a waspie if desired (again you might have to search for sizes)

A lot of the fancier/embroidered ones you see tend to be balconette shapes which I think might be too tall in the centre and won't really suit the cut of your dress

Merguez Tue 27-Jan-15 13:36:22

Go to Rigby & Peller. Expensive, but worth it. I still wear my wedding bra for special occasions 14 years on ...

artylady14 Tue 27-Jan-15 13:44:34

I think I know the Satine bra from Bravissimo as it was the only one that was ivory and wedding style. I did buy it but found it was making my boobs really stick out.

Thanks Statistically Challenged, sounds like you really know your underwear smile
Merguez, dont tempt me, I have very little money left at this point. Im on their site right now. Gorgeous!

StatisticallyChallenged Tue 27-Jan-15 13:48:26

The Satine can make you relatively projected - it kind of pushes them forwards quite a lot (as most people are after a bit of cleavage with a plunge!)

<I'm a bra geek blush>

artylady14 Tue 27-Jan-15 13:53:22

I think I might dig it out actually. My problem right now is that I am thinking of not wearing a waist cincher I bought. It cinches me in at the sides but does nothing to pull my tummy in overall. The bra I chose to wear doesnt push them out and that's what I thought I wanted. I think if my tummy is a bit out, I might need a boob pusher-outer after all! Thanks

StatisticallyChallenged Tue 27-Jan-15 13:59:31

Good plan - projected bras do make tummy/waist look smaller side on (I don't wear super projected bras partially for this reason, nooooo, not me grin)

A lot of waist cinchers are also just plastic boned and don't really work hugely well. And they bend, buckle and can be a pest! I have a steel boned underbust corset which is fabulous and pulls everything in well, but it's heavy duty! this one. I wore a custom made steel boned overbust corset under my wedding dress - 8 years ago there were no strapless bras which even remotely worked (was a 32FF then myself)

Not nearly as glamorous, but I would generally choose something spanx-esque over a plastic boned if I felt I needed slimming/smoothing.

hellsbellsmelons Tue 27-Jan-15 14:33:00

My dressmakers made me to go to Rigby and Peller for my bra (many moons ago now).
Down the side of Harrods just opposite.
They are fab and it's a real treat.
Book a fitting with them if you can fit it in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: