Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Using Colour B4: Any tips?

(14 Posts)
JoyceDivision Mon 26-Jan-15 22:37:07

am going to rectify my crap too dark home dye job withcolour b4 and then re dye it.

any useful hints or tips?

cheers

NonAlcoholicVodka Mon 26-Jan-15 22:44:01

No tips other than it smells reeeally bad so open a window grin
it does work well though

JoyceDivision Mon 26-Jan-15 22:46:39

It can't smell as bad as I look grin so I can cope with that!

catzpyjamas Mon 26-Jan-15 22:51:44

I just bought it too for the same reason tbhmm
I read loads of reviews first and the common consensus was that it stinks of eggy farts, you might end up a bit ginger and that you can't use another permanent colour for 4 weeks afterwards. I've got a temporary colour to use straight away in case it looks worse (would be hard as I'm like Winnie the Witch now)

JoyceDivision Mon 26-Jan-15 22:54:23

Questions

Catz it says you can colour straight away here on their website (i used one about a year ago and recoloured the next day, it was fine..)

catzpyjamas Mon 26-Jan-15 23:05:58

Yes, that's why I bought it but then read different advice online?!? please let me know how you get on. I bought it a week ago and I am still working up to using it

samesizetoes Tue 27-Jan-15 05:07:33

Rinse for longer than you think is needed. Use a timer and keep rinsing for all of the ten minutes or however long it tells you to. I've heard others have better success when they rinse for 10 minutes, then partially towel dry and rinse again for another 10 minutes. Colour before works by shrinking the dye molecules and the way to get rid is all in the rinsing.

You can use dye straight away after using colour b4, it is just advisable to leave it a few days in case any remaining dye reoxides. If you dye straight after and haven't rinsed enough, the new dye and old dye will darken and develop together and end up with a different colour than you wanted.

You can also use colour b4 up to 3 times in a row if you have many layers of dye build up, just make sure you do some deep conditioning afterwards.

Keep rinsing!

JoyceDivision Tue 27-Jan-15 21:19:09

I have done it! I have gone from this to
this similar shade

It's very even (it looked like straw and much paler when i started washing it but it's settled down.

It does feel s bit dry, but that is manly from swimming and a previous hair dye, so I'm not dyeing it for a few days justto let it settle, but I am getting it cropped tomorrow!! eeek!!

TattyDevine Tue 27-Jan-15 22:20:53

Lots of conditioner rinse, and if you still smell eggy, do a final rinse with vanilla essence in water which helps a lot.

JoyceDivision Tue 27-Jan-15 22:24:56

oooh, thanks for the tip! I will do a normal shampoo and condition in the morning (got a blob of aussie conditioner massaged in now)

Everyone is alseep so no one can confirm if i have an eggy head, however I'm sure dcs will be brutal in the morning and tell me!

catzpyjamas Tue 27-Jan-15 22:59:13

Nice new colour!

JoyceDivision Thu 29-Jan-15 11:04:00

Catz,I put o mid brown nice n easy on last night and it has worked fine, so if you want to use and are worried re redying it it was fine smile

JoyceDivision Thu 29-Jan-15 11:15:39

Ooh, and as it suggests on the box, cling film on the head accelerates the process too and as other posters have siad, rinse, rinse, then rinse some more... your arms will ache but it's worth it

catzpyjamas Thu 29-Jan-15 20:55:11

Thanks so much for the update Joyce, I think I'll give it try on my next day off. Be worth aching arms to lose the goth lookwink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: