Advanced search

Would you keep lovely clothes if you didn't fit into them anymore?

(11 Posts)
AWholeLottaNosy Mon 26-Jan-15 19:53:33

I've been having a bit of a clear out and I've got some beautiful clothes which are size 12 but I'm more a 14-16 now. I really don't want to throw them out as they are very nice but unless I diet ( and carry on doing so) I won't fit into them. I really don't want to chuck them out but am I deluding myself?

To add, I'm an apple shape so although I have very slim arms and legs, all my weight goes on my tummy ( or my bust) so a lot of these clothes, skirts, trousers, I can't do up. And, because of my shape, these clothes were hard to find originally as a lot of clothes don't suit my shape.

What would you do?

CMOTDibbler Mon 26-Jan-15 19:56:32

Do you genuinely think you will be committed to dieting into ( and staying in) them? If so, put in a box, and come back to them in a year - if you don't fit into them by then, sell/give them away.

If you think on reflection that you won't get into them, get rid now

MadeInChorley Mon 26-Jan-15 20:00:46

I keep the (very) odd thing for sentimental reasons, but otherwise no. I can't be doing with the clutter. And unless you've put weight on very quickly and are committed to losing it methodically to get back to your old size soon, then you'll just end up with a load of clothes that looked great 6 years ago but don't suit your lifestyle/post childbirth shape/current fashions.

AWholeLottaNosy Mon 26-Jan-15 20:01:29

I think I may be living in denial but I do think, well if I fitted into them once ( and looked better for being slimmer ), I can do it again...

coffeetofunction Mon 26-Jan-15 20:02:00

Give them to me winkwink

I'd keep them, but I don't have many really nice clothes so if I have something nice that may one day fit I'd it -- or just to look at--

pinkfrocks Mon 26-Jan-15 20:02:34

I'd stick with the diet.

Regardless of clothes if you have gone up 1-2 dress sizes and the fat is all round your middle that increases your risk of diabetes and heart disease hugely- so wearing those clothes will be a bonus but your health ought to be the motivator.

Oly4 Mon 26-Jan-15 20:04:38

I would absolutely keep them. After two dc, I'm a stone away from fitting into my size 12s and I WILL get there. I can't wait to wear them again. I'm a 14 at the mo and I've bought very cheap clothes for my current size as motivation to get back into my lovely, more expensive size 12s. You could get in yours if you really want to

AWholeLottaNosy Mon 26-Jan-15 20:06:58

I've always been an apple shape, my legs are so skinny and I've got no bum, hips or cellulite ( not a stealth boast, promise), to the extent that people have often assumed I'm pregnant! My older sisters are the same shape as me. Low carb diets have been good to get rid of the tummy fat but I find it so hard to maintain so my weight goes up and down.

trixymalixy Mon 26-Jan-15 20:13:51

i would keep them

carlywurly Mon 26-Jan-15 20:37:46

Keep your favourites. I finally got into a pair of gorgeous cashmere mix Calvin Klein work trousers (an extreme bargain when I got them!) last year and was so chuffed. They must be over 10 years old and they're still lovely. I was so pleased I'd kept them. smile

SenatusPopulusqueRomanorum Mon 26-Jan-15 20:40:43

I have kept a tiny size 8 Topshop gingham dress that I was able to wear in 2002 after a year of anorexia. I have thrown the rest away because I know I will never be a size 8 again.

I have always kept my size 12-14 clothes, even when I ballooned to a size 22. I never lost hope. Most of them fit again now (and since I have conservative tastes, they are not dated).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now