Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What hairstyle

(7 Posts)
Tinofroses Sun 25-Jan-15 22:52:15

For a overweight soon to be mid 40s. I have brown hair which I stick a home colour in and it's below by shoulders. It is thickish hair and can have a bit of a kink in it. Normally wear it tied up but I feel like a frump. Currently trying to lose weight and managing it ever so slowly. Would love to go short but I feel it wouldn't suit me due to being over weight. I have a broad face and brown eyes.

queenbrunhilda Sun 25-Jan-15 23:24:17

Don't think the weight has a bearing OP - but you do need a super good hairdresser who you trust, who 'gets' you, know what will suit you, and can deliver a great cut. A sharp, shorter cut can be way more flattering than longer hair. Not sure if you're suffering from colour build-up on the ends from box dyes? I was and it was ageing and naff looking - much better shorter.

Tinofroses Mon 26-Jan-15 09:07:53

Thanks queen go to different stylists when I need to so will have a think.

queenbrunhilda Mon 26-Jan-15 22:32:33

Good luck. I kept mine tied up too. Sharper can be cooler and more flattering than a nondescript mid length cut!

SavoyCabbage Mon 26-Jan-15 22:38:08

I wouldn't rule out short either. I got mine short when I realised that I tied it back every single day. So it looked like I had short hair anyway.

Another thing you could do is different upstyles. My dd has the book that is associated with the [http://www.hairromance.com/ Hair Romance]] website.

nilbyname Tue 27-Jan-15 07:19:33

Short can look mumsy.... Especially something very short like a pixie cut.

What about something with more shape?

Alexa Chung has wavy hair, and a longish fringe, her hair looks great.

Look on Pinterest for mind length hair styles.

Also consider some colour....highlights to break up the box colour?

Instead of a pony tail, what about a messy bun or a side plait?

Tinofroses Wed 28-Jan-15 06:42:13

Thanks for replies , will have a look at some pics and chat to the stylist.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: