Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What sort of jackets do your 11/12 year old girls wear?

(30 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 25-Jan-15 08:54:33

I want to get Dd a trendy jacket. She has a warm Gap coat for school so something a bit lighter but that will still give a bit of warmth but looks good.

She's got a denim jacket already which she loves.

kerpob Sun 25-Jan-15 09:09:10

A gilet? My DD is 12 and wears hers all year round. With a hoodie, scarf etc in winter and just a tshirt when it's milder.

DD isn't particularly trendy (because we're not either grin) but out of school she generally wears a hoody with a gilet - she got this one from Next for Christmas and loves it.

Dancergirl Sun 25-Jan-15 09:20:20

That's a good idea, I didn't think of a gilet. Don't think dd would go for a cat print, think she'd prefer a plainer style. Johnny B do a nice one, just checked, but it's out of stock in her size.

Dancergirl Sun 25-Jan-15 09:38:45

Arrgghh, Fat Face do a lovely one too but again sold out!

ELR Sun 25-Jan-15 09:40:35

My dd wears a khaki green Parker style coat with a fur trimmed hood as do all of her friends.
Gilet is also very popular.

Dancergirl Sun 25-Jan-15 09:57:51

Thanks, really like the gilet idea but can't seem to find one in her size! Prefer navy if possible.

LaQueenAnd3KingsOfOrientAre Sun 25-Jan-15 10:03:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QuestionsaboutDS Sun 25-Jan-15 10:07:43

How about this one from H&M here. I think it's pretty nice.

This Mountain warehouse one is unbelieveably cheap but doesn't come in navy.

Dancergirl Sun 25-Jan-15 10:07:55

Found this from Fat Face ladies department which comes in a size 6 or 8 but the price!!!

www.fatface.com/womens/gilets/icat/womensgilets

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sun 25-Jan-15 10:11:24

Dd has this
She also has a Jack Wills gilet, a denim jacket, and something similar to this for dressier occasions.

Dancergirl Sun 25-Jan-15 10:17:10

The Jack Wills hemington gilet looks gorgeous but it's £90!!

The H and M one is a possibility, thanks for the link question

Dancergirl Sun 25-Jan-15 10:47:10

I might see if I can get a size 8 womens gilet. Wonder if that will fit her...? She's quite short but not skinny.

Eastpoint Sun 25-Jan-15 10:49:29

Dd wears a navy TopShop duffle coat which was her older sisters and a green Zara parka with a fleecy lining which is mine.

Dancergirl Sun 25-Jan-15 10:53:34

I actually think dd would really go for a gilet. She often doesn't like the feel of a heavy coat or 'forgets' to take one (yesterday she went out in just her denim jacket!). With a gilet she could wear a hoodie underneath.

slug Sun 25-Jan-15 11:02:49

DD, just turned 13, has that Fat Face gilet. We bought it in the sale and she wears it constantly

burnishedsilver Sun 25-Jan-15 11:02:55

Every 11-15 year old I see is in a Superdry jacket.

No, DD is the same wrt inappropriate coats, she prefers thin jackets and hoodies so the gilet works well for us. With sizing, DD is 11 but wears an adult 8 or (when I can find them) age 14. She's very tall but skinny with no chest yet.

honeylou42 Sun 25-Jan-15 11:11:27

A miss selfridge parka here smile

QuestionsaboutDS Sun 25-Jan-15 11:14:11

H&M also do quite a nice ladies navy gilet and their sizes are smallish so you could try that. New Look also have a very good looking one in the sale and sizes are small.

jeee Sun 25-Jan-15 11:19:26

I assume she's year 7? The only coat is a Superdry windcheater - find an outlet store, and it'll be 40% cheaper (if you're in Kent, there's one in Ashford).

QuestionsaboutDS Sun 25-Jan-15 11:28:16

These trends are so localised. DD's label-minded mates are all in Jack Wills gilets. But that's only a small percentage - the rest are in whatever takes their fancy. Local comp don't wear coats at all but then they're all really local and only have to wait 2 minutes for their buses so they're ok in blazers.

Dancergirl Sun 25-Jan-15 11:46:51

question they're all wearing £90 JW gilets?? Or do they buy in the sale?

Stinkle Sun 25-Jan-15 11:51:58

Round here they're all wearing parkas (when you can get them in a coat that it hmm). Mine has a black one from New Look

Rest of the time it's zippy hoodies from Animal - Animal is the label of choice round here, along with Rip Curl, Billabong and Roxy - we're by the sea so they're all wannabe surfer dudes

iamjustlurking Sun 25-Jan-15 11:55:01

Have a look at Tokyo Laundry very Jack Wills / Superdry like but cheaper. Great for teenagers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: