Talk

Advanced search

Is work ruining my skin? Help!

(5 Posts)
marvellousmistermars Sat 24-Jan-15 16:01:59

My skin has gone totally to pot in the last four months. Prior to that it was fairly bomb-proof, the odd hormonal spot but nothing major. Now I am getting actual break-outs across one cheek in particular, and significant zits in other areas. I have been under a lot of stress at work which I don't think is helping plus long hours, not much natural light or fresh air. I think it may be de-hydrated due to aircon etc. but how can you tell? My skin is literally the worst it's ever been.

I have been using a gentle cleanser, taken off with cotton wool and normal Nivea moisturiser, but would another routine be better? Cleansing with oil, maybe?

UncrushedParsley Sat 24-Jan-15 16:19:38

You could try it. Sounds like you could also try drinking more water too?

rosiepinkcheeks Sat 24-Jan-15 20:57:54

Stress can affect your skin. Just a thought but the comment about break out across one cheek...do you use a mobile phone/work phone on that side? If so give the phone regular wipe downs with antibac wipes. If skincare has always worked then perhaps make some lifestyle changes.. exercise (will help with stress), plenty of water, supplements/good diet.

marvellousmistermars Sat 24-Jan-15 22:10:22

I actually do drink a lot of water, but exercise etc. could probably be improved. I have joint problems so can't run etc. but I enjoy yoga. Re the phone thing, I don't think it is that because I tend to put the phone on the other side, but have wiped it with anti-bac just in case... still get spots.

BallroomWithNoBalls Sun 25-Jan-15 18:48:31

Do you use a toner after cleansing?

I am not a fan of just using cotton wol to remove cleanser - I think a wet flannel or a splash off cleanser is needed to get your skin properly clean. You could try Liz Earle or the Superdrug hot cloth cleanser, or there are plenty of nice splash off cleansers like Avene in Boots. I currently use Elemis Rosepetal hydrating cleanser and just splash it off. Double cleansing aka washing your face twice is also an excellent plan.

But if you want to keep using cotton wool, you definitely need a toner to remove the residue - it could be clogging your skin and causing spots.

Cleansing properly is the first step of any skincare routine. Then a good moisturiser.

But yes to more water, less sugar, more sleep, and maybe fish oil tablets too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: