Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

would you do a job that required a uniform

(87 Posts)
magicpixie Sat 24-Jan-15 15:17:12

I'm sahm, so doesn't really apply to me, but I would hate to wear the same thing day in day out
would actually find it depressing

HSMMaCM Sat 24-Jan-15 15:19:38

Having a uniform means you don't have to decide what to wear for work and all your other clothes feel more special.

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 24-Jan-15 15:19:58

I'm training for one so yes!

BaronessBomburst Sat 24-Jan-15 15:20:03

No, it's great. You don't have to think about what to wear, it's not your own clothes getting worn out, and I used to do more interesting things with my hair instead. You can change your look with makeup and jewellery instead.

BaronessBomburst Sat 24-Jan-15 15:22:01

The only downside is if the uniform is totally not your colour. yellow blouse

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 24-Jan-15 15:23:18

It depends on the uniform. Madame Whiplash - I'd have to think about, shirt and trousers then yes.

PunkrockerGirl Sat 24-Jan-15 15:24:14

I love it that I don't have to decide what to wear for work every day. It saves money as well, don't have to buy 'work clothes' as employer pays for uniforms.

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 24-Jan-15 15:24:16

Having a uniform means I don't get bodily fluids on my own clothes. Always a bonus.

sillymillyb Sat 24-Jan-15 15:26:42

My friend used to work for agent provocateur. Her uniform was worth a fortune and she flogged it when she left.

Ooh, actually, I used to work for a brand who sponsored lots of athletes and I sold my uniform on eBay when I left. I made nearly a grand in the end! I'd forgot that! Im thinking boots or tescos may not be the same though grin

WhispersOfWickedness Sat 24-Jan-15 15:28:23

I am intrigued by IAmAPaeleontologist getting bodily fluids on their uniform.... Are they dinosaur bodily fluids?! grinwink

Passthecake30 Sat 24-Jan-15 15:32:06

When I was at uni I worked in a warehouse that supplied a uniform, polo shirt, sweatshirt and trousers. I have a 36" leg, and I just laughed my head off at the regulation 30" trousers and had to pay for my own.

I wouldn't mind tbh, so long as they fit!

niminypiminy Sat 24-Jan-15 15:37:06

I'm also training for a job that requires a uniform; and a uniform that people will have reactions to. I feel really nervous about it!

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 24-Jan-15 15:43:46

grin

Sorry, just a student MW.

wellnowthenmardybum Sat 24-Jan-15 15:45:21

Yes, jobs are sparse and you cannot be picky.

magicpixie Sat 24-Jan-15 15:49:22

niminy, what uniform is that then!!!

Leviticus Sat 24-Jan-15 15:51:09

Does it come with a big stick and a gas canister nim?

Viviennemary Sat 24-Jan-15 15:56:05

I think it would be good in a way as you wouldn't have to think every day what can I wear. Or can't wear that again I've already worn it this week.

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 24-Jan-15 15:57:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

samesizetoes Sat 24-Jan-15 15:58:56

I love my chef whites, its like wearing comfy PJs all the time.

BauerTime Sat 24-Jan-15 16:00:34

Yeah why wouldn't you? You can be stylish and beautiful in your own time!

I work in an office with no dress code so not only do I not have work clothes that are paid for by someone else but it means no distinction between work and other clothes so I sort of resent buying anything as I know I'll end up wearing it for work.

MumsyFoxy Sat 24-Jan-15 16:03:34

I wear a uniform; I don't enjoy wearing it but other people find it sexy and I love putting it out of sight on my days off!

Longdistance Sat 24-Jan-15 16:03:52

All my jobs required wearing a uniform and were much better, as didn't need work clothes and home clothes as the uniform was provided by the company.

Best idea ever.

magpieginglebells Sat 24-Jan-15 16:06:50

I much prefer wearing uniform, no thought needed at all. I'm surprised that someone wouldn't take a job just because there's a uniform.

magicpixie Sat 24-Jan-15 16:16:00

I just think it would make me feel striped of individuality and creativity and kinda like some sort of clone
it would actually put me off taking certain jobs to be honest

insancerre Sat 24-Jan-15 16:17:38

How jolly lucky for you that you have the choice
Strange thread

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: