Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Can I lighten hair at home?

(7 Posts)
nickdrakeslovechild Fri 23-Jan-15 21:34:31

Hi hope you can answer a question for me please, I have dark brown hair, but have been using home dyes at home for years in a mid brown colour which has lightened it over the years from my normal colour. It was only when I met with an old acquaintance who said they like my hair this lighter colour that I realised it was a lot lighter...

Anyway, I stupidly dyed it next time with a permanent really really dark almost black dye which was my old natural colour (well it was about 20 years ago) and I hate it so much I want to cry sad .

Can i get it back to a mid brown with a dye at home or do I need to go to a salon? I have looked at a few home kits today and the lighter ones only seem to go a shade lighter on such dark hair. I tried the home colour that I used to use and you cant tell its any lighter.

Oh, and my hair is really, really, really long so growing it out is not an option. God, I feel like such a numpty, I loved it the colour it was.

Please help...

VodkaValiumLattePlease Fri 23-Jan-15 21:38:44

I wouldn't bleach it if its almost black and neither would most salons, but you can get colour before which will take most of the dye out if its recent!

TheAwfulDaughter Fri 23-Jan-15 21:43:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nickdrakeslovechild Fri 23-Jan-15 22:32:12

Thank you for the replies, I have been washing and its not coming out, have just ordered the colour remover so will give that a go before I head to my salon. Cant believe I did something so silly! thanks

Cocolepew Fri 23-Jan-15 22:38:39

If you get one if the colour strippers it will take the dye out . Its a bit if a faff but does work.
I bleach mine out but I have a pixie cut so its easier to do.

Cocolepew Fri 23-Jan-15 22:39:27

Oh sorry just realised you've ordered one blush

nickdrakeslovechild Sun 25-Jan-15 14:46:36

Thank you for the advice, I got a colour remover and its worked! had to leave it in for the hour followed by 20 mins of rinsing.

I smell of rotten eggs, but back to my natural colour! Thank you flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: