Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Can anyone recommend a REALLY good hand cream please?

(77 Posts)
WilburIsSomePig Thu 22-Jan-15 22:52:13

I've tried loads and my hands are still dry. I don't mind spending up to £20 for something that will soothe my poor sore hands!

ggirl Thu 22-Jan-15 22:53:10

body shop hemp hand cream is the dogs bollocks

linalool Thu 22-Jan-15 22:54:25

La Roche Posay Cicaplast

WLmum Thu 22-Jan-15 22:57:21

Another vote for body shop hemp hand cream. Tis amazing.

TheSydenhamSet Thu 22-Jan-15 22:57:29

Body shop hemp is incredible!

WilburIsSomePig Thu 22-Jan-15 22:58:15

I've got the body shop hemp one and the smell makes me gag unfortunately! grin

Whatalotofcrap Thu 22-Jan-15 22:59:14

Aveeno is great - most Boots sell and some supermarkets - it's about £5-6. I'm prone to permanently very dry hands - cracks in winter and really painful. Tried loads of stuff and Aveeno is by far the best. Lately I was prescribed cream called Cetraben for very dry skin elsewhere - thats brilliant too. Hope this helps

Whatalotofcrap Thu 22-Jan-15 23:00:47

Yeh that Body shop hemp was recommended - apparently lots of nurses use it as always washing their hands. It was fab but then I developed an allergy to it -sad

m0therofdragons Thu 22-Jan-15 23:00:48

Aveeno - body shop hemp one smells vile to me but I love aveeno.

Sukb Thu 22-Jan-15 23:02:04

Yes. Try Keihl's ultra strength hand salve. It's amazing. It's quite expensive-£19.00. But it lasts a long time. I have had mine a year and just bought a tube today.

Bowlersarm Thu 22-Jan-15 23:02:20

Elizabeth Arden 8 hour hand cream

overthebliddyhill Thu 22-Jan-15 23:05:56

Sudocrem baby mousse works wonders

GloopySoupy Thu 22-Jan-15 23:07:16

Bepanthan baby bum cream. Clear, non-greasy, no smell, works wonders.

GailTheFish Thu 22-Jan-15 23:11:28

The Kiehl's salve is amazing. I've found what works best for me is wearing cotton gloves at night (you can buy them in boots for under £5) after slathering my hands in hand cream.

WelshWereRabbit Thu 22-Jan-15 23:14:09

L'Occitane Shea butter hand cream

WilburIsSomePig Thu 22-Jan-15 23:14:11

Fantastic suggestions here, thank you so much. My hands are so cracked and sore, they look ancient too!

Glitterkitten24 Thu 22-Jan-15 23:14:42

The soap and glory one I got for Christmas is pretty great- it's not really greasy which I find is a major flaw with most hand creams!

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 22-Jan-15 23:14:50

Body Shop almond is pretty good too and smells nicer, especially if they still do the extra thick one I seem to vaguely remember.

Elizabeth Arden 8-hour cream handcream is also good although not that keen on the smell.

MarshaBrady Thu 22-Jan-15 23:15:06

I haven't tried many, but I liked the Aveda one

angeltulips Thu 22-Jan-15 23:16:01

Clarins hand & nail treatment

Neals yard rose hand cream

Both excellent

itstheyearzero Thu 22-Jan-15 23:17:27

Aldi nourishing hand cream in the white tube. I have used loads and always come back to this one!

Whatalotofcrap Thu 22-Jan-15 23:17:38

Another tip for very sore dry hands is smear loads of cream on nighttime and pop some white cotton gloves on - looks ridiculous piano player but works ,! smile

CurlyhairedAssassin Thu 22-Jan-15 23:19:34

Have you tried Neutrogena Norwegian formula? I have 2 hand creams - the Norwegian formula for night time as I find it very rich and it leaves a bit of a greasy film on my hands (fine when I'm sleeping!) and then during the day I would use a less intense one like the l"occitane shea butter - it absorbs really well and doesn't leave a "film".

ChippingInLatteLover Thu 22-Jan-15 23:20:17

Clarins Jeunesse des mains

IMO there isn't a better one and it's the only one that doesn't feel greasy/yucky on my hands. I'll be looking for a bridge if they ever discontinue it.

CointreauVersial Thu 22-Jan-15 23:21:18

I am a handcream expert and have used just about every brand.

Honourable mentions go to L'Occitane, but the winner of the best handcream has to be Neutrogena Norwegian Formula. Amazing stuff; the only thing which keeps my dry, eczema-ridden hands at bay.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: