Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Please help! Why does my anticipated Audrey Tautou crop look like a lego man's hair?

(21 Posts)
rootsradicals Thu 22-Jan-15 21:40:16

I have wavy/curly thick hair and really thought a bit of a crop would be a good, easy to maintain style. At the salon they used a diffuser but kind of bouffed it all up a bit for my liking. When I do it myself it's coming out far straighter than I expected and looks like a big 'block' on my head sad Too much product makes it all lank looking and not enough leaves it looking like a microphone on my head. I really want something to give some definition, a bit of shine and a 'choppy' kind of look, any (not too expensive) product recommendations/styling tips gratefully received.

MyrnaLoy Fri 23-Jan-15 09:23:53

I have naturally curly hair in a crop.

How are you drying it? I let mine dry naturally. I use my hands a bit as it drys to let it get to the right sort of shape, although I do best of all when I just go to bed with it wet and it doe sits own thing.

I use a bit of Toni & Guy curl cream when its wet and then hair putty when it's dry to get it where I want it and add definition. Neither are cheap, but they last forever (months & months) because I use so little. There are cheaper versions though I'm sure.

MyrnaLoy Fri 23-Jan-15 09:35:42

Sorry, just checked - it's mud clay, not putty (it just looks like putty!)

Label M.

And that would be does its own thing, not doe sits. Obvs.

rootsradicals Fri 23-Jan-15 09:57:24

Thank you Myrna. I've washed it this morning and am leaving it to dry naturally, sort of like a modified curly girl way. I've put some Body Shop hair butter and some Umberto Gianni curl gel in and I'll see how that goes. I do have a cheapy hair putty so I'll try that for today but will put the Toni & Guy products on my 'wishlist'.
My husband has failed to mention that I had my hair cut over a week ago. that's how bad it is...

rootsradicals Fri 23-Jan-15 10:04:27

Sorry, should have said, I have been drying with an ordinary hairdryer (I don't have a diffuser that fits) which probably explains the sudden stubborn straightness.

YesIDidMeanToBeSoRudeActually Fri 23-Jan-15 10:06:07

I'm sorry, I can't give you any hair advice but wanted to say your thread title is v good and made me laugh - sorry.

I sympathise. I had a spectacularly bad haircut once where they cut my extremely thick hair into a blunt edged bob with no layers and DH actually laughed when he saw me. I was called "mushroom" for weeks.

Poor Lego man grin

DahliaBloom Fri 23-Jan-15 10:08:03

I have hair like yours and have had that haircut. You need a very good hairdresser! Is the basic shape right? If so, then I agree with not blowdrying it, just let it dry naturally.

rootsradicals Fri 23-Jan-15 10:10:19

YesIdid, Thank you for the sympathy...! I'm amazed my husband has been so restrained actually, he's not usually so reserved with his piss taking. It must be really hideous sad

NeitherHereOrThere Fri 23-Jan-15 10:25:01

Could you not complain and go back to ask for a restyle (with a more experienced person?).

SirChenjin Fri 23-Jan-15 10:30:50

Wow - you are brave! My thick wavy hair looks even thicker and wavier the shorter I go - I think you really need to go back and get your hair restyled by someone who knows how to cut this type of hair.

The only time I ever managed to have short 'pixie' hair was when the hairdresser cut it and then went into it with a pair of thinning scissors - but not many of them seem to like to use them. I've had arguments with several hairdressers who insisted on chopping into it instead, which did nothing to take away the extreme bulk - worth asking for thinning scissors?

rootsradicals Fri 23-Jan-15 10:45:57

Hmm, the thing is that I think the problem is my lack of skills rather than the hairdresser! I had it done by a trainee (very well overseen) and I think the cut is very good. I did mostly like the way it looked when she dried it, just thought I'd calm down the 'volume' a bit.
I'll see what it looks like when it dries today and experiment with some different products, I'm sure I can sort this out..!

SavoyCabbage Fri 23-Jan-15 10:56:37

Just keep at it. I like dry shampoo for giving mine a bit more texture. Sometimes when I wale up I look like a cockatoo and I have to push it in every direction and ruffle it up before I can leave the house.

A diffuser would help. You could ask around to see if anyone has one that fits your dryer as lots of people never use them.

rootsradicals Fri 23-Jan-15 11:06:46

Ooh, I have some dry shampoo- I might have a bit of a squirt later and see if that helps. It's still drying at the moment, takes forever, so I'm having to be patient. I like the shape of it wet but won't know how it ends up until it's all dry and I can scrunch the gel out.
I have a fringe still, it's sort of a crop with a fringe. You're right I need to play around, I've been ignoring it a bit really and just sticking a hat on when I leave the house (I work from home). Can I ask what you use on yours savoy?
I have a diffuser in my drawer but the hairdryer I have now has an odd shaped end, it squirts out essential oils to make my hair sleek and unfrizzy apparently so I don't think I'll find one to fit it.

FindMeAPixie Fri 23-Jan-15 11:12:44

If you have curly hair I would really be scared of letting anyone near it with thinning scissors - recipe for a frizz-fest!

Have you tried "twirling" or twisting your hair into ringlets when it is wet to create defined curls?

SavoyCabbage Fri 23-Jan-15 11:20:20

I'm not in the UK so I don't know if you can get this but I use this eu.strawberrynet.com/10trends/goldwell/style-sign-spun-shine-gloss-shine/129222/?CatgId=105.

SirChenjin Fri 23-Jan-15 11:34:57

Pixie - it's the only thing that works on my thick, wavy hair. Maybe different on curly hair though.

rootsradicals Fri 23-Jan-15 12:30:25

Thanks Savoy, I've found the Goldwell stuff on Amazon so I'll add it to my list. Think I'll have a sort of what I have already and try them out before I start spending more money until I get realise none of it works and order a whole shiny new batch of potions to try
Chenjin and Pixie- I'm in the anti thinning scissors camp, they turn my hair to frizz too! I'll definitely give twirling a go as well.

rootsradicals Fri 23-Jan-15 17:55:14

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Just reporting back that I whispers like my hair this evening..! I left it completely alone until it was dry and then I scrunched the gel out to get rid of the crispiness and it's gone into a little wavy crop. I'm off on a rare night out later so I'll put a bit of wax or paste in it to define it more but, so far, I'm really pleased.

rootsradicals Fri 23-Jan-15 17:56:04

Oh, I didn't mean for the 'whispers' to be bold, I meant I am whispering..!

FindMeAPixie Fri 23-Jan-15 18:10:19

Brilliant. Now just remember do not touch. Leave it alone grin. No fluffing and playing with it or you will end up like this:

rootsradicals Sat 24-Jan-15 11:58:19

Pixie- that was me pre yesterday!
I was very good, I left it alone and I'm really pleased with it. Need to get myself some better stuff to go on it but used some Garnier surf hair wax stuff which will do for now.
I can't believe it took so long to dry though considering how short it is. I was out of the shower by 9.15 but had to put a hat on for the school pick up at 3pm as it was still very slightly damp. Think I may go with a bit of dry shampoo today to try and make it last a bit and see if I can find a diffuser to fit my hairdryer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: