Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Are any of the perfume gurus around?

(23 Posts)
BiancaDelRio Thu 22-Jan-15 18:27:17

Is DonaAna still on here? I want some expert recommendations smile .

I love Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille but find that it doesn't last very long on me sad .

Are there any other scents similar to it? I adore vanilla but not cupcake scents. I want sexy vanilla. Vanilla mixed with something masculine or weird.

I also love Tuscan Leather and Armani Cuir Amethyste so if you can recommend anything like those I would be ever so grateful smile

<<hopeful face>>

tyaca Thu 22-Jan-15 18:36:57

Ooh, I finally cracked open my sample of tobacco vanille today. I could hardly find any vanilla in it at all - lots of cherry and a bit of tobacco on the dry down. I also found it really soft.

I like the guerlain double vanille, but it may not be to everyone's taste - lovely and tobacco-y.

BiancaDelRio Thu 22-Jan-15 18:38:47

Thanks tyaca I ordered a sample of Double Vanille yesterday and can't wait to try it!

I definitely get the vanilla in TV but wish there was more of it. I love the fragrance, just wish it had more staying power on me!

tyaca Thu 22-Jan-15 18:49:27

Double Vanille is all about the staying power - I've never known anything like it. Report back when you get it - I'd love to know what you think.

BiancaDelRio Thu 22-Jan-15 18:51:59

I definitely will!

I've also ordered samples of Guerlain Angelique Noir and Creed Virgin Island Water (this arrived today and is my new Summer scent - beautiful).
I was wondering about Kilian perfumes. Have you tried any of them?

niminypiminy Thu 22-Jan-15 19:15:26

I've had samples of some. Deeply meh.

BiancaDelRio Thu 22-Jan-15 19:26:52

Yeah niminy that's kinda the impression I got from the reviews. The names are super tacky as well.

I'm trying to break away from high st perfumes while not wasting loads of ££ on stuff I end up not liking. It's not easy!

thecatfromjapan Thu 22-Jan-15 20:32:54

What about Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur?
Shouldn't perhaps say this but you have just missed Le Labo's Vanille - it's going to be another two years before it's on sale again. Having said that, I'm not keen on it. If I'm honest, I think it's boring.
Musc Ravageur is quit sexy, though, and not cupcakey at all.

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 22-Jan-15 20:37:17

Molinard Habanita.

It's vanilla tobacco, very very nice.

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 22-Jan-15 20:40:59

Or try Dyptique.

Eau Duelle is a spicy dry vanilla.
Volutes is a tobacco iris, really good.

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 22-Jan-15 20:42:36

Or just go for Shalimar.

Smoky vanilla.

Siolence Thu 22-Jan-15 20:44:23

Musc Ravageur is gorgeous.
Also try 4160Tuesdays The Sexiest Scent in the world ever IMHO.

That's the actual name. And it is LUSH.

Siolence Thu 22-Jan-15 20:47:28

Also try The dark heart of old Havana. 4160 Tuesday's again. It's a very different take on vanilla.

I don't have much with vanilla but those 3 are in my stash. I'm more an oriental girl.

BiancaDelRio Thu 22-Jan-15 20:52:45

Oooh these are great - thank you!

I don't like Shalimar. I've tried and tried again with it but I just don't.

Off to google the others.

itsnothingoriginal Thu 22-Jan-15 21:22:52

Hypnotic Poison? I find it quite a dark burnt vanilla. It's hard to find a non cupcake vanilla fragrance!

GertrudeBell Thu 22-Jan-15 21:31:51

Van Cleef do a pure, grown up vanilla. It's one of my and DH's favourites and gets lots of comments. Last longer than Tobacco Vanille (I have both).

canny1234 Thu 22-Jan-15 21:57:51

Feuilles de Tabac is a gorgeous rich comforting tobacco/patchouli perfume with Tonka bean ( vanilla) and pimento by Miller Harris.Definitely worth a try.

BeCool Thu 22-Jan-15 22:15:01

I was going to recommend the 4160 Tuesdays scents too

yazzy85 Fri 23-Jan-15 14:18:14

I second hypnotic poison, give it a few minutes to settle down after spraying and its the most lush vanilla scent

BiancaDelRio Fri 23-Jan-15 16:08:43

I have and adore Hypnotic Poison so you're definitely on the right lines!

I've ordered samples of

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille
Guerlain Angelique Noire
4160Tuesdays Sexy schmexy whatever it's called grin (loved the sound of their Havana Rum one but the heavy fruit put me off).

I want but can't find samples of Musc Ravageur and Mona Di Orio Vanille so if anyone knows where I can pick those up please do tell!

Today I'm wearing Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (a sample which arrived this morning). It's really lovely but not different enough. Especially for the £££. It actually reminds me a lot of Hypnotic Poison esp the dry down. Kinda disappointing.

yazzy85 Fri 23-Jan-15 22:28:01

have you also tried dior addict?? It has vanilla too and is lovely in the fall/winter

Siolence Sat 24-Jan-15 00:35:42

Les scenteurs for musc Ravageur sample.

I don't find dark heart heavy fruit. It's kinda boozy vanilla. I'm not a fruity scent fan, i feel fruity is a young kind of scent.

BiancaDelRio Fri 30-Jan-15 14:03:00

Update:

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather - Amazing. DP keeps trying to steal the bottle. Think it smells better on him than me so might let him grin

Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille - Disappointing sad I expected more than just vanilla which is all I get from it.

Guerlain Angelique Noire - I've fallen in love with this. It's beautiful. And discontinued <<wails>>

4160Tuesdays Sexiest scent in the world ever - actively dislike. An interesting fragrance but not a good one on me. The service was great though and they sent me two free samples.

Have ordered samples of Musc Ravageur and Mona Di Orio Vanille from Les Senteurs. Will update when they arrive!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: